Rocky Mountain Cup, 2012 Match 2, 21 July 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 15, 2012.

1. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I spoke too soon!:)

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to Sabo for fighting for that ball.

DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    finally got that second goal, jesus, what a pain in the ass.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My man of the match: Yordany Alvarez. Fantastic game from him.

15 to 32, RoyalNonesuch and BalanceUT repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Our Johnson just blocked them is all, then he walked it in. Yeah, it was a real shot, but it was still a horror show error on the part of Colorado.

6. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should the Rocky Mountain Cup be renamed to Wasatch Mountain Cup?

burninator, El-ahrairah and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  7. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL/Colorado games are usually Rocky Mountain Horror Shows anyways so....I'll take the 3 points and the 6th straight hardware. We are reaching legendary status in MLS, right? I hear RSL is having a parade on July 24th to celebrate this feat. RMC>> US Open.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game tonight, glad there were no officiating questions like in the past, just bone-headed mistakes from our defense.

Though if the reports from some of our travelling fans about a couple of idiots in the Salt City United group are true then that puts a bad end to a lousy week.

Ismitje repped this.
  9. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree. Borchers had a good night too, but he was also nearly in goat-mode on a couple of plays where attackers got around him. Maybe Yourdanis should be seeing some sub time at outside mid too...he's certainly skilled enough.

We got impatient and tried to over the top too much in the second half, conceding more possession than I'd like, but oh well. Solid result.

10. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on Colorado board claiming some of SCU told a Rapid supporter to "go die in a theatre." If that is true that is beyond fvcking classless

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Good not great but 3 points and a turn in the right direction is nice to see.

Now maybe I can watch the San Josme game. I chose not to watch because I can't stand watching those doche nozzles play even if it is RSL.

I'm still debating though.

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quite frankly i wouldnt put it past them, those guys are ********ing assholes through and through

15 to 32 and Jasonma repped this.
  13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, also, SUPER SUPER happy for Will. He's constantly hitting scorchers that seem to always be right at the keeper - and it'd be great if he could get off the schneid.

That was a class finish and you could TELL it meant a ton to him.

Also - a fantastic tap ahead from Saborio to lead to that too, I hope he gets credit.

Ismitje repped this.
  14. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, the more I think of this the more I get sick to my effing stomach. RCB tweeted before the match that no jokes of any kind about the massacre will be tolerated. SCU on the other hand.... well if it is true it just solidifies them as a bunch of fvcking pukes in my book

Jasonma repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I find this beyond repulsive. What a shame the bar is set so low for RSL supporter groups.

Jasonma repped this.
  16. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after the crap they did in portland the last few times they came up here and the shit i've seen and heard them do at home games, i've had enough of them. they do nothing for this club other than act like a bunch of wannabe hooligan douche bags who think they are hard. they can definitely piss off.

Jasonma and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we won. So you can't complain too much. But that won't stop me.

First off,
    THE GOOD:
    • Yordany Alvarez. Why this guy can't get any time unless Kyle is suspended/injured (which is quite a bit, lately) is beyond me. The guy is fantastic on the ball and has a different (I won't say better) vision than Kyle of the pitch that leads to different kinds of opportunities for RSL.
    • The defense after Cummings came on and Olave came off. I thought for certain we were going to give up a goal. It wasn't pretty, but we kept the clean sheet. After giving up ********ing 5 goals to the douche-quakes, I'll take it.
    • Sabo and Espy's defensive pressure. Those lapses don't happen if our forwards aren't applying pressure. Note to team: you can do this more than one game a year.
    • Full house and fireworks - I got home in record time
    THE BAD:
    • Jason Kreis' "tactics" of subbing off Espy. I don't get this, especially when it isn't a forward for forward sub. Yeah, Espy was getting a little fiery, so what? He wasn't going to do something overly stupid. He and Moore have a history, they don't like each other. So what? Yanking him KILLED the little attack we had in the second half.
    • That was quite a full section of cRapid supporters that "didn't travel enough to play a supporters match".
    • Javi Morales /= forward. That might have been the worst possible switch Kreis has made in awhile. Javi doesn't play a withdrawn striker, even. The guy is a number 10 through and through - don't mess with it.
    • cRapids play high line - RSL acquires speedy local kid - 10 minutes left in match and you need some kind of spark. Nah, that would make too much sense
    • KWS is so damn awful in the air it's comical.
    • We didn't make the last sub because...?
    THE UGLY:
    • Ned Grabavoy. If there was one player I would say really was responsible for the lackluster second 45, I'd say it was Grabs. He refused to move around. He got stuck on the right side of midfield and just pointed at those around him to run around. Dude, you ain't Javi. You are the one that makes the runs to open space. This has always been the case. But that wasn't the worst of it. Our attacks died at his feet in the second half damn near every time he touched the ball. He didn't know what to do with the ball until his 3rd or 4th touch - or, more accurately, after he had already lost it.
    • Espindola's reaction to being taken off. This could get ugly if not handled correctly as he was quite obviously pissed at Kreis.
    • Jonny Steele can't even come in late to do his thing, now. The guy is annoying as hell. If I were Luis Gil, I would have gone bananas on the bench.
    • We couldn't create a goal in the flow of our attack. It took 2 defensive lapses to score. Yeah, we'll take the goals, but it would be really nice to turn that massive possession we had in the first half into something of note on the scoreboard.
    • If this is true about SCU, they should be banned from matches for the rest of the season. That shit isn't even remotely funny/tolerable.
    • I've seen a post or two on FB accusing LBR of stealing from other RSL fans. Our SG's are the absolute best...

georg, lurpythepirate and Ismitje repped this.
  18. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got back from the game, so here is my in-depth analysis:

* I was thrilled when Jonny Steele got subbed on. It meant I got to see him with his shirt off.
    * The fireworks were amazing.
    * Valasquez was sitting a couple rows ahead of me, so I snagged him for a picture before he left. He's pretty hot, too.
    * Oh, and I think we won, right?

On a slightly more serious note:

* The YSA chant seemed to be more of a YS chant than it has been in the past. The last part SEEMED quieter than last time I was there.
    * Props to the traveling Colorado fans for making noise and supporting their team the full 90. I told my friend I couldn't bring myself to go talk smack to any of them under the circumstances. But well done for their presence there.
    * The fans loved the RMC trophy. It went from section to section and people were lined up after the game for photo ops.

Ismitje repped this.
  19. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree with you more on Steele, 15. If I were Gil I would have been absolutely livid. At least he's suspended next match so maybe Seba can make maybe make the 18

20. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been calling it that for years.

21. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn't Kreis use his 3rd sub? I don't get that... why not bring in Braun, if only for a few minutes of stoppage time?

22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's funny, i literally fist pumped to myself when steele got that yellow card, happiest moment of the second half for me. that guy is a piece of shit.

23. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction - Will and Braun may click. I've noticed that Will tends to send balls as if Findley were out there. Now maybe it's a rough touch, but he was more effective setting up Robbie. I think Braun and Johnson will party.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we had an alright game. Not perfect but a lot better overall. That was classy of Sabo to attempt to let the ball go in for Fabi. While I can understand pulling Espindola after the card, why not put in Braun and keep our shape? Morales doesn't work up top at all. I honestly thought we'd see Grabavoy come out for Braun and go back to the 4-4-2. Sorry Alvarez, but Steele gets MOTM for getting his 5th yellow. ;)

25. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I defend a lot of pretty borderline stuff here, because that's how I roll. Won't be defending that one. There's a difference between making tasteless jokes to/among friends (which I'll admit to doing with regard to pretty much any horrific situation anywhere, as off-color humor is basically my default response to inexplicable tragedy), and making a comment like that to people who may well have been directly affected. If you don't understand the difference you should refrain from interacting with other human beings, ever. My only caveat is that the SCU, like the RCB, have been blamed for things they didn't do before, and I don't want to get all witch hunty about it based on a single tweet and some forum posts. Regardless of who it was, though, they deserve whatever shitstorm comes down on their heads.

Enough of that disappointment. To the game.

I disagree with this, actually. I love Espy, but the guy can't keep himself in check sometimes, and it's not worth him getting red carded, playing down a man for however long we have left, and then being without him for at least one game and possibly more. I think he's gotten better over the years at staying cool, but until he can show that he'll be able to keep his head when the other team pushes him, he should expect to be pulled when he starts getting stupid.

That aside, I can't complain too much--a good rebound from last week's embarrassing performance, and we've got the RMC for six years running. My hope is that Pablo Mastroeni never touches it again. Is he gone for good yet, or do they still have him on the payroll in case he recovers?