Rochester Joins TOA Today

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by savetheforce, Nov 30, 2009.

1. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005
    Fon Rhions web site:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE NOVEMBER 30, 2009

ROCHESTER RHINOS JOIN NEW NASL

(Rochester, NY)… The Rochester Rhinos today announced they have officially joined the North American Soccer League (NASL).

“We evaluated the situation very carefully and decided that the best decision for the future of the Rhinos and soccer in Rochester was for us to join the new NASL,” said Rhinos CEO Rob Clark. “Soccer is maturing before our very eyes. We are joining a family of team owners who are committed to investing in our league and their teams to further the development of players and support the future growth of the sport in North America. The NASL is a new beginning for soccer in Rochester.”

The addition of Rochester brings the NASL to ten teams, including the Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina RailHawks, Crystal Palace Baltimore, Miami FC Blues, Minnesota Thunder, Montreal Impact, St. Louis United, Tampa Bay Rowdies and Vancouver Whitecaps.

“I’m looking forward to working with my fellow owners in the coming weeks to hire a Commissioner, create a 2010 schedule and finalize league marketing initiatives,” concluded Clark.

The NASL has applied for USSF Division II status and expects to start its first season as a Division II professional soccer league in April 2010.

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this really a surprise to anyone. USL-1 is clearly dead in the water an Rochester really have no better option now. I am glad to see that the majority of the clubs are sticking with one league, which is now NASL. It will be better for the players development as they will be able to play against a higher level of competition, instead of the 3-6 teams struggling to stay alive in USL-1.
    Rochester, if they had stayed in USL, would have probably been stuck playing a bunch of D3 (USL-2) teams just to fill out there schedule, if the two divisions did not just merge together which would be a joke.

Rochester was the last gem belonging to the USL. I think we can now say goodbye to the current USL for good.

3. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Welcome to the NEW NASL Rochester Rhinos!

4. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Should change their name to Lancers LOL

5. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I agree with you for the most part. Although being an old Pittsburgh fan I wouldn't call them a "Gem" :p

6. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    its all over for the currupt USL..... NASL isgoing to be a true and proper 2nd division....

7. Benek

Benek New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Club:
    KKS Lech Poznan
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    We're going to stick with Rhinos. We might have a throw back night or two where we would wear Lancers kits.

8. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    You guys are so lucky. I hope PR switches soon to NASL.

9. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will, they won't have a choice.

10. argentumLingua

Jun 17, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Puerto Rico can always stick to the USL-1 and play imaginary matches against teams that don't exist like FC New York.

11. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it but if were running the NASL, I wouldn't want them. Travel expenses and all that. Nothing against the team.

12. Mr. Caca

Mr. Caca Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Puerto Rico Islanders is a good and respected team, I would accept them in my league any time.

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly hope you are right and NASL is run properly. It would be great to finally have a legitimate 2nd division. I honestly have hardly followed anything USL, except for the local Pioneers, for a couple of years now just because of the instability. Even in the minor leagues, you need regional and consistent opponents who you can develop rivalries with in order to form a strong fan base. When you as a fan see's your clubs schedule and realize that the team you hated most from last year and always looked forward to playing is gone, and some random new team from a far away market is in, you lose interest.

The only reason I even follow the Pioneers is because they have a beautiful little stadium for D3 with a good fan base and a tremendous atmosphere. It's a great night out if you love soccer. From what I have heard from visiting supporters is that they always think we have the best club in D3.