'Roca Cup' [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So we will likely see, according to the latest reports:

-------------------Jefferson-----------------
    --Danilo-------Dede-------Rever------Cortes
    ---------------Romulo-----Ralf---------------
    -------Neymar-------Lucas-------Ronaldinho
    ----------------------Borges-------------------

(maybe I've switched Ronaldinho and Lucas's positions, but most of the São Pauo fans I know prefer him in the center)

DMFs aside, this looks like a reasonable team with the players we have available. It was used during practice by Mano, but it is not confirmed. Anyway, hopefully Lucas will get a chance this time around, even though he is not at his best form.

2. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This is the team that should have played in Argentina. I also agree that Ronaldinho should be playing more of the central role. He became more useful in the last 20 minutes of last game when he moved more central. Lucas hasn’t been in good form recently but his start for the Selecao is way overdue. Hopefully Neymar and Lucas can shine like they did playing together. Vamos Brasil!!!

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We started the game playing good ...lasted around 15 mins. Argentina are not doing much either. Ronaldinho has been pure garbage, and so is the field.

4. Mesousa

Mesousa Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I love the atmosphere though!

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar misses an incredible goal after Lucas makes a great play dribbling past 3 players. I don't know how Neymar could miss that one. He is creating a habit out of missing easy chances.

6. Sharles

Sharles New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    ''my own world''
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a goal Lucas!

7. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lucas is pretty fast.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nice goal. He sprinted 40 yards with the ball and had the composure to finish with clinical accuracy.

That was a Dunga team style goal if I ever saw one ... deadly counter-attack.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The sad thing about Ronaldinho is that he doesn't even pass the ball all that well anymore. Sure every once in a while he will make a good pass/play, but misses a lot of them.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar makes it 2 x 0...although he almost messed that one up. Cortes is pretty good going forward on the left. Good pass from Diego Souza.

11. Muurad

Muurad Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Dede and Rever are ********ing rocks on defence today. amazing game for both although they didn't have much to deal with.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well...keep in mind this Argentina team is terrible. It's the worst team I have ever seen them field.

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I expected more from Montillo, Guinazu, and even Bolatti. But what was Sabella thinking by selecting Estudantes da Prata fullbacks (Desabato and Cellay), given that Estudantes da Prata is 3rd last in their tournament and their team has allowed 17 goals in 9 games?

Still, they have NO excuse. They selected 5 players from Boca, and Boca is #1 in their league with 6 wins and 3 draws. This may not be the greatest Argentine side ever, but they didn't exactly show a lot of heart out there. Both teams were apathetic in Cordoba, but tonight, Brazil won in large part because Brazil wanted to win.

Ronaldinho Gaucho still has the magic. Lucas is gonna start for us in 2014 - with Luis Fabiano and Rivaldo, SPFC is well served and will fight for the Brasileirao. Neymar is Neymar. Ganso is injured right? I would've loved to see him tonight. Borges didn't score, but he's beginning to show that he may warrant a spot in the "real" NT friendlies if he stays on this streak.

As for Argentina, maybe next year, when the return game is on their soil, they'll have a team with the desire to win.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Positives: Lucas and Cortes played very well. Cortes was great supporting the attack. Very fast player. Probably needs to work on defense. Could turn out to be a nice find. Neymar played well. Had some nice dribbles in the 2nd half. Would like to see these moves turn into something more concrete in terms of goals.

Negatives: Ronaldinho. People may say he can still pass well based on his technical skill, but that's not even true. He missed a lot of passes in a game that wasn't really that tough. He might pull off a nice play here and there, but it's very little. Mano ... inexplicably subbed Lucas, arguably our best player today, out in the 2nd half. Should have taken Ronaldinho off.

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Jovem Pan radio said Lucas asked to be subbed out due to fatigue. At first it was suspected he had a fractured nose, but once on the bench, the team's medical staff did not tend to him. He was simply too tired.

16. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: 'Roca Cup'

Ahhh improvement. Much more grit, much more "will". The crowd deserved no less.

Jefferson: Flawless, very secure when he was needed.

Dede and Rever: They did an excellent job. Dede was very classy, just ha done slip up whne he let Viatri turn to shoot. Rever was basicly perfect, great sliding tackles and stuff. We have depth here it seems, with the likes of Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Luisão, Lucio and Alex in Europe...

Danilo : shaky start specially while supporting, missed easy passes. Then hit the perfect ball for Lucas's opener.

Cortes : Made a very good impression. Secure in the back, very effective in the attack. Nice dribbles, runs, also was very important for Neymar's goal. This position is lacking for our main team, we should keep an eye on him.

Ralf and Romulo: did a fine job at amkring, minus a few dangerous moments from Argentina. Kept it simple in the saida d ebola, and it worked well.

Ronaldinho: Distributed well the ball imo... His free kick accuracy wasn't on par today, missed a few passes, but overall a good performance by him.

Lucas: MOM for me, he fought hard for his rightful spot inthe Seleção. Fought for the ball and his prize was the opener that did wonders to our confidence... If Mano doesn't recognize that he need to be shot. Even better, I will shoot him myself!

Neymar: missed an open goal, very unlike him. Weak start, but grew a lot after the opener and scored his goal, plus made a show for the Neymarzetes :D

Borges: While he didn't get a goal opportunity for himself ( he didn't even shoot once), he protected the ball well ( good pivô role) and created a great chance for Neymar. Dunno if he will be called again though, specially if Leandro Damiao recovers at full form.

Diego Souza: Very nice start, coming out of the bench to assist Neymar. Deserves attention if he keeps this form up.

In short, I would keep an eye on Cortes, Rever, Dede and Diego Souza for the main team... Plus I hope that Oscar gets some playtime there as well.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Re: 'Roca Cup'

Agree with your analysis especially this part, as I'm a huge believer in the high necessity of defense for winning championships, in ALL sports.

I also liked Cortes.

So, Mano Menezes gets a breather. Our winning streak against Argentina starts again and we see several players who have potential to be in our "full-time, senior" NT.

It would have been very interesting to see Damiao and Ganso in action yesterday, although I was pleased w/ Borges' selection and performance.

I for one will be watching the 2014 World Cup eliminatorias' matches for CONMEBOL. Our team will not participate, but this is always a very competitive tournament, and they begin soon.

18. brasil_forever

Jun 8, 2006
    your bias is too obvious. ronaldinho had a good game. not a perfect but solid game. 10 times better than ganso ever played for brazil

19. brasil_forever

Jun 8, 2006
    overall the team sucks the difference today was lucas and argentina was even worst. mano has to go

20. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree that the game overall was pretty weak. Argentina’s team was god awful. Played 11 man behind the ball and did absolutely nothing while attacking until they were down 2-0. Although, we won I wasn’t to impressed. A couple players stood out like (Lucas, Cortes, Dede, Rever) but overall we saw mediocrity out there.

Danilo is not a RB, so for most of the time he was losing the ball and passing it over. Ralf only plays the way he’s facing and the ball on his feet is like a hot potato. Ronaldinho imo was pretty poor out there. Missing passes, not marking and holding on to the ball way to much. Yes he stood out in the game with his dribbling but the game was pretty much over and the “Foquinha” came out in him which is typical.

Nice to see the youngsters in Lucas and Neymar being the players on the match. Mano now better get his head out of his a$$ and realize this.

A COPA ROCA E NOSSA!!!

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Copa Nicolas Leoz... that's the official name. The media has to get that straight - it resembles the Copa Roca of old in format, but it's been renamed.

Lucas is gonna play for us come 2014 - bet on it!!!! :)

22. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ganhar e bao minha gente.
    Ganhar da Argentina e muuuuuuuuuuuuuito melhor.

Liked the team lots. Exceptional speed, lots of heart, great ball movement, youth mixed in with the the magic of R10, and the biggest surprise IMO. Well let's just say we have finally found our left back - CORTES. Exceptional game by Cortes. A mixture of Marcelo's attacking style with strong defense. Cortes participated in both goals, and gave chances for a couple others - deitou e rolou. And to think a year ago Cortes was playing in the second division in Rio.
    Lucas - exceptional, brilliant, futebol alegre that makes me proud to be a Brazuka. He takes on defenders like nobody (except Neymar of course).
    Neymar, superb as usual.
    Very emotional hearing 45,000 fans chanting the national anthem. Made me squirm. Gave us a little idea of what 2014 will be like. I am shacking just thinking about it.
    Loved the three girls in front of the cup. TESAO.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever see this team again.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know what game you were watching. Ronaldinho was awful.

24. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I second that & i also dont know if you can say that we finally found our LB after just one game versus an Argentina B team.

25. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    C team.