News: Robbie Rogers Retires, Also Maybe Comes Out?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Editor In Chimp, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    yes there is a facade being put on by the haters, but that is only because like I said 50+ percent of the public are on the side of gay rights and come down like a ton of bricks on the haters. The haters are no longer patted on the head for their public venom towards gay people. this is a vast improvement in the rapid normalization of gay people in public. Most of these gains come from gay people coming out of the closet and standing our ground.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it felt that obvious to him. What good are allies and cheerleaders if they kick you when you're down or project their own expectations on you from the bleachers while you're going through what is obviously a difficult and confusing decision for you? Friends like this...

dwsmith1972 and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  3. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    Oh please his life as a gay wealthy athlete with a big fat Nike check would just be sooooo hard.

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a response to somebody else's point and, whoever they are, their point is a lot stupider than mine. I never said a word about an athlete's lifestyle. Being able to play a game I love for lots of money is a problem I'd love to have, sure.

Sorting out who I am while millions of people are watching is not, however (even assuming your 50/50 breakdown is accurate). It does not surprise me that he's taking time--even if it's only been a little bit of time. And it doesn't surprise me that he is trying to exercise choice over where he works. That's something we all do if we have any sense and any leverage to go with it. Suggesting that he's been cowardly or that he's somehow failed his obligations (to whom?) when he might actually end up playing soccer again before the year is out just doesn't seem accurate or fair to me.

dwsmith1972 and manoa repped this.
  5. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maybe it's because of my economics training, but the unifying answer seems pretty clear to me: follow the money.

The "right" McBride and LD earned toward the end of their careers were that they were beloved by fans for the way they carried themselves. That love translates into ticket sales, jersey sales, TV viewers / ad sales. Follow the money.

Ching for whatever reason never got to that level of love with the fans beyond Houston. Gil is too early in his career to have earned that love with the fans. (I'll even through Adu in there as a counterpoint to Gil. Adu had a level of runaway hype at that stage of his career that could be monetized, and it gave him the leverage to choose his MLS home early on. He was also a minor, so it was a bit of a special case.) Follow the money.

Turning to Robbie, he certainly has plenty of people's attention. He's going to be controversial for some sponsors and some fans, embraced by others. He can probably monetize the support of the ones who embrace him. And it probably gives him leverage to choose which MLS city he plays for.

The only caveat to this theory is that markets aren't always efficient. People make decisions, and they are entirely capable of getting it wrong. But follow the money, and you'll have a good starting point for where the discussions will begin. I'm guessing there's enough money to go around for Chicago's rights to be bought out, and plenty left over.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    un-retires, gets traded to LA for Mike Magee, will become the first openly gay male athlete in a major American Pro league. For soccer, Robbie is the pure winger that LA lacks. If he regains his form, he's an intriguing national team prospect

NatsTeamFan repped this.
  7. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC

I'm actually pretty excited about it. Whatever problems Robbie had on the pitch always seemed to be in his head, it'll be interesting to see how he does with that weight off his shoulders, and if he's able to put it all together mentally.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he won't. Jason Collins, on the cover of SI and an NBA free agent, assuming he plays next year has that covered.

And when Robbie came out, ESPN ignored it, while when Collins came out he was all over multiple shows on ESPN. The problem is MLS isn't a major American pro league and the coverage of it shows that.

9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shameful move by MLS.

OWN(yewu)ED, Skevin, jond and 2 others repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the gamble is minimal for LA, first Magee is 29 and RR is 25 or 26, second LA has Jose Villarreal and Gyasi Zardes ready contribute. And LA had a big hole to fill in the wings. So I think it was a good move.

11. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I noticed after I submitted. changed. thanks

13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I cannot believe we are trading our talisman for Rogers. If I use my head I think it could make sense....but...it's Mike Magee.

Who will now promptly score a hat trick when we see him next.

Can't they take Mikey Stephens instead? :(

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If you're a contender, you don't trade away Robert Horry.

Mario Balotelli, Marko72 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just went to the LA board...there is sentiment out there among some critics and twitter that Magee wanted to go. Could be that he wants to be closer to home. Let's wait until the press conference tomorrow, but no one forces Bruce to do anything.

16. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Yes, mike is from Chicago and Robbie is from LA.
    Works out for both of them.

Berks repped this.
  17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    My thoughts on this matter precisely.

18. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    Hopefully he can get healthy physically and mentally and play up to his capability. The national team could use him if he can get it together.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought LA did, and so they did with Trevor Ariza.