News: Robbie Rogers Retires, Also Maybe Comes Out?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Editor In Chimp, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And the first double entendre award goes to.... ;)

(What, we can't make jokes?)

GRUNT and tab5g repped this.
  2. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. No humor intended on my part. But I'm all for humor, 24/7.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    People are past it...in THOSE professions. Consider how behind the times this sport is when it comes to racism and ask yourself if people are truly "past it" when it comes to sexual orientation...

Just saying.

Bolivianfuego, INKRO and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respect to him for the courage it must take to do this; he's clearly dealing with a lot of conflicts. I hope the friends he speaks about standing by him continue to do so, and I hope that his family come to accept and love him for who he is.

Expecting him to just shrug it off and continue with his career ignores this part of his announcement:

I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined… I will always be thankful for my career. [emphasis mine]

He's come to a point where he can no longer lie to himself or others about his identity as a gay man. And for him, soccer has been an important mechanism in avoiding this moment. He can't just switch that dynamic off at the drop of a hat. From the outside, it may seem ridiculous for a talented 25 year-old player to walk away from the game. From his perspective, that passage suggests that it's exactly the right thing for him. At least right now.

Neuwerld, GRUNT, INKRO and 1 other person repped this.
  6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fail to see how being a decent human being earns a political label from you or anyone else.
    Wrong again. We spend plenty of time talking about players' wives here and that immediately implies their sexual orientation. And the OP made a reasonable case for its inclusion here. If you find the topic uninteresting, then don't read and certainly don't post in the thread.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Your first post in this thread, in which you seemed to demand something of him (as an athlete, but not as an individual going through a difficult personal process and series of decisions), didn't show much respect, imo.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, he just announced that he was gay. That's why it's part of the discussion. :rolleyes:

HartwickFan repped this.
  9. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in fairness the thread title does indicate its subject is his retirement and coming out, so you should note that going in.

Most of the discussion thus far has struck me as supportive of his right to retire and conveying some awareness of the challenges and courage involved with coming out. Whether that is liberal or progressives doesn't really interest me but its not clear to me what about it is drivel.

babieca, HartwickFan and GRUNT repped this.
  10. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, excuse me for trying to focus a US soccer forum on I don't know.... ...US soccer.
    I think it is news he is able to admit he is struggling with his personal life but should it really be a focus of conversation in the US soccer forum? And it seems everyone here is talking on a leftist/ progressive type of platform. As if society has to accept something the majority believes is sinful.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I want the neg-rep option back bungadiri !

We are focusing on that, but there is absolutely a talking point about Robbie coming out and how that relates to his early retirement. If you can't see that then perhaps you're the one driveling all over this thread.

deuteronomy, R1PP, HartwickFan and 6 others repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, that means that all we got for Oduro was Dutka (spell?) bad trade :(

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Holy shit...please go away. I'll leave it at that.

pats1237 repped this.
  14. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently spoke with Christina Kahrl - the transgender cofounder of baseball prospectus and writer, who knows a lot more about homosexuality and sports than I bet Mr Martin does - and she thinks it would still take extraordinary bravery for an athlete to come out while playing.

Although, to he fair, she does think soccer and hockey are likely to be earlier than some other sports.

15. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey, Freedom of religious expression. You go away if you don't like it.

meyers repped this.
  16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Say what now?

Also, if he retired from playing due to his sexual orientation, the conversation about that is dead on topic and on point, since his sexual orientation impacted his availability in the player pool (notwithstanding the fact that he wasn't good enough for the senior team; he was still part of the pool)

17. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.norc.org/PDFs/2011 GSS Reports/GSS_Public Attitudes Toward Homosexuality_Sept2011.pdf

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108115/americans-evenly-divided-morality-homosexuality.aspx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-gay-marriage/2012/05/10/gIQAPg3IGU_blog.html

Not sure that that is true.

HartwickFan, manoa, GRUNT and 2 others repped this.
  18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Emperor Adriano, Qrom and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    But is his reasoning for retiring the reason why he failed in Europe and is not part of the current player pool? That is inconclusive. And debatable.

20. dwsmith1972

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have a right to express yourself. I would point out that throwing around liberal/progressive as pejoratives and characterizing support for someone's act in the face of a good deal of bigotry as drivel doesn't strike me as helpful to respectful discussion.

HartwickFan repped this.
  21. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well if it sounds like a duck and quacks like a duck.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Actually, one area where Mr. Martin was completely right is that things are changing pretty rapidly on this front.

Roughly a decade ago, a majority of Americans believed homosexuality was sinful. That number is now down to a little over a third of Americans in recent polling. Which is neither here nor there, but I figured I'd just offer some clarification since you brought it up.

23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Him failing in Europe didn't somehow eliminate the possibility of him coming back to MLS, which would have in theory kept him as an option in the player pool.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone thinking that Rodgers would not have faced people like Clenbuterol they are crazy, Rodgers would have faced much worst comments from other players and opposing fans.

This post makes Rodgers point to retire.

BTW props for being truthful and not PC, I may disagree with you but you have the right to say what you said.

Also is not the majority.

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/01/10/americans-less-inclined-to-view-homosexuality-as-a-sin/

[​IMG]

INKRO repped this.
  25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course, BigSoccer isn't the us government. There's no freedom just to post incendiary bigoted nonsense.

TinManJoshua, HartwickFan and tab5g repped this.