Robbie Rogers at Stevenage [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Woodrow, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if Townsend was playing on the right that is because Snodgrass was injured. From what I've seen both Snodgrass and Townsend are far more talented than Robbie is.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Robbie is an extremely frustrating player to follow. He seemingly has all the tools - two-footed, good speed, hard shot with both feet.

He's the type of player you want to control in a video game, but for some reason can't put it all together on the real field.

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some recent stuff on this young man here at 52:07

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVl41S6jnR4"]Columbus Crew 1:0 Sporting Kansas City - Full Match Highlight 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

and here at 4:35 and 9:40

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vszyv8qszE0"]{HD} Real Salt Lake vs Columbus Crew | 0-2 | Goals & Highlights {07/30/2011} MLS 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

4. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can play both, but he's best on the left which is his problem. He has Bale, Rose, Niko and Lennon ahead of him (who can play inverted on the left).

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread title.

I always worry when the manager that brought the player in gets sacked.

When will Leeds "welease Wogers!"

6. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Legitimate question. The interim manager and any new manager will have thri own alliances. Indeed, the interim brought in Aida Smith as the starting wing last weekend. Grayson probably would have played Rogers. This will be an interesting challenge for the kid. Sonthing tRR and Klinnsman were not anticipating.

7. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aidan White and Danny Pugh both play on the left as well. White has been featuring at LB this year but can play anywhere on the left side and is primarily an attacking player. Conversely Pugh is a more of a defender than a attacking threat.

I was busy this weekend and didn't get a chance to listen but I would guess Redfearn went with White at LW cause of his familiarity with Aidan coming through the ranks in his role at the academy.

Assuming Pugh stays at LB, I would think that Rogers would then fall behind White and Townsend at LW. Robbie seems to have played himself into the mix for the time being though.

Hopefully in the next week or so a new manager will be named, either Warnock or the new hot name Raddy Antic, the former Barca/Real Madrid/Serbia boss.

8. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ken Bates said today that Neil Redfearn will be the interim manager for the next 3 games at a minimum.

Some speculation that this means Warnock will be the next manager as he has yet to sort out his compensation with QPR and (supposedly) under FA rules, cannot take another job until that has been squared away.

9. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    If he's behind Townsend at LW he could have a long wait as he is a quality player at that level.

Warnock taking over would be ideal for Leeds, terrible for Rogers as Warnock relies on experienced English players.

10. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a friendly reminder with all your LM/LB and left side talk. Rogers in NOT left footed. His more natural position is on the right. Though Leeds may have a surefire starter on the right, I'm in the dark there.

13. AZ coach Verbeek does rate him highly, actually had the highest expectations of him of all the North Americans at Heerenveen at that moment. At Heerenveen they were very disappointed when he went back to the USA.

14. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Rogers does not make the 16 today for Leeds.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was really unfortunate. I always wonder what would have happened to Robbie if he stayed with that Heerenveen team. Now there was a team that could attack.

16. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the unfortunate firing of the manager who recruited Robbie is having a detrimental affect. The interim manager will favor players he brougtt up through the youth program probably.

17. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds loses at home. Apparently the manager does not realsize that RR could have helped him. Robbie will go at defenses late in a game-and he can cover a lot of space and play defense-something the Whites sorely need.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having only 5 subs is bad for an "unknown" like Robbie. However, if/when he does make the bench it will be good for him.

19. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Tuesday...

20. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. According to soccerfans and the pundits Heerenveen has the best attack of the Netherlands. Well, AZ has felt their strength!!

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    good article, thx for posting. reality is that leeds/championship is perfect spot for RR. he'll need to get constant playing time of there for me to take him more seriously for the Nats. if he rides the pine then we will have our answer. i wish him luck, great experience for him and big turning point.

23. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that Leeds still haven’t hired a manager.

..... What’s Bates doing? He knows this is a critical point of the season surely?

24. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said they're taking their time, not rushing into a decision with it being a crucial hire. Brighton haven't lost in 6 now so this was going to be a tough game, but the next two games (Cov., Donny) are very winnable with Redfearn still on as interim manager.

Supposedly Neil Warnock's assistant was watching the game last night. From the Yorkshire Evening Post:
    There's also rumors that contradict this, supposedly Gwyn Williams, the director of scouting (and probably the person responsible for Robbie signing) said in a supporters club meeting that they are leaning towards someone that is currently working. Keith Hill is the most likely darkhorse I'd guess, he refused to deny interest when asked saying "Manuel, I know nothing." :D Dougie Freedman at Crystal Palace is also being mentioned lately.

25. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Warnock is still working out his payoff from QPR.