News: Road to the Roster: Klinsmann concerned about Jermaine Jones.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While I don't disagree with you on age being a crucial factor when picking players for the 23 at the WC....I don't get where you came up wtih Silva.

He's just not an amazing 10' like I would even say Feilhaber is than him.

He's at best an outside midfielder who does well enough when he doesn't have to be the string puller. I would actually put Corona ahead of him when it comes to that department.

Silva before injury, didn't bring much to the table for DC this season--often times over hitting thorugh ball passes, having trouble with dealign wtih pressure defensively coughing it up and loosing it earliy on prior to getting injured.

He's a good player...but if he can't even do it in MLS why bring his name up for the USMNT?

2. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, first I'll assume you agree with me on Rowe.

Secondly, you are only judging Silva on the first 4 or so games of the MLS season of which he was injured for 3 of them. So, you are basically judging him on the first game of the season with an entire new lineup og guys who have not gelled yet. So, I consider your comment unreasonable and uninformed. Obviously, you do not follow this player nor do you/did Rowe. It was only when I brought up facts about him being a US national youth team player whom is already in the US soccer system and the Boston Globe touting him as a USMNT option. Obviously I'm not going to change your mind here on the forum. Though, you might want to consider watching these guys play closely on a week -to-week basis and I think you'll start to see what I'm talking about.

2012 MLS draft:
    #3New England Revolution*Kelyn RoweMidfielderUCLA
    Washington Crossfire
    #4Toronto FCLuis SilvaMidfielderUC Santa Barbara
    Orange County Blue Star

Rowe has had the advantage of playing for one coach, a career total of 4,604 minutes and 30+ games per season of pro soccer for a team that made the playoffs since 2012.

Silva, on the other hand has had to deal with playing for a last place team (Toronto) then traded to another last place team (D.C. United). Is this his fault? No. Silva also has less minutes than Rowe clocking in at 4,261 while being surrounded by inept, bottom-of-the-barrel teammates. Remember Nick Deleon was injured for 7 weeks and Chris Pontius (his UCSB college teammate) has been injured ever since he arrived at D.C. United. There has been no opportunity for these two already familiar players to work together. Don't underestimate chemistry and ability. A slight tweak in this area can produce immediate results. Just check out Chivas this year. the addition of college teammates Dan Kennedy, Eric Avila and Tony Lockheed are showing immediate improvement this season.

Look, I'm not touting a couple of mediocre 2nd or 3rd round players from Div 2/3 schools. I'm suggesting that Klin's approach favoring over-the-hill players should be criticized in favor of up-and-coming younger players. These guys are the top of MLS draft in 2012.

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you are suggesting that JK drop a player that he has called a member of his spine, one of the leaders of his team for 2 unproven players who have never been capped who don't even play the same position?

Are you serious?

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I said it earlier--but I cannot comment on Rowe as I don't watch Rev games.

Huh? Are we talking about Luis Silva here?

Like I said--I can't comment on Rowe.

I watch DCU weekly. I am not impressed with Olsen, or his team. They are a team with no imagination, no real style of play except playing through the wings. Silva was thrown in there to bring the creativity, and while yes--he's not at the best team ,I don't see him as a good option for creativity because he lacks the true skill of a better '10'. He's talented, but he's not strong enough of a player to put the play of a midfield on his shoulders. Match him with a good 10, and he'll do decent from the supporting striker role or as an outside mid. I rate Chris Pontius a better player than him. I am a DCU fan, and for them to succeed they need a stronger presence in midfield which when Luis was in, wasn't much and now that he's gone there is nothing at all in the middle. Gone are the days of Moreno, Etcheverry, Gomez and even Gallardo.

Edit: You want to see a real 10? Watch this:

or this:

I am a DCU fan--so you're assuming a litle much there.

Again I can't comment on Rowe.

Silva had a good last year, but I still am not sold on him being our Diego Valeri or even oour Federico Higuain.

While I don't undersestimate chemistry, I just don't see him taking a team and carryingh it on his shoulders like a true '10' does. If he can't carry a team in MLS, he def. doesn't deserve the chance for the NT. That's my point.

Corona for me too--is a stronger lpayer in all areas of his game than Silva. Deleon is player with great potential who I would rate over Silva for the USMNT...but he's still far away too from ever getting called up.

Again, I am just arguing about Silva. I think you're far off on suggesting he get a call up, because he's decent for MLS at MOST, but lacks better technique, vision, and talent on the ball that playing at the NT calls upon.

He just doesn't have it.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  5. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, it appears we'll have to disagree about Silva. I've followed his career and have seen him make all the same type passes as seen in your favorite players highlight videos.

The kid just got into the league. For christ sake give the guy a chance.

Btw...you said, "Deleon is player with great potential who I would rate over Silva for the USMNT"

Deleon and Silva don't play the same position. So comparing them doesn't make sense.

Silva discussion done.

Regarding Deleon he was #7 taken in the 2012 draft while Dom Dwyer was #16.

#7D.C. UnitedNick DeLeonMidfielderUniversity of Louisville
    Arizona Sahuaros
    #16Sporting Kansas City*Dom DwyerForwardUniversity of South Florida

If you want to compare, I'd compare these two guys.

I'd take Dom Dwyer hands down.

Nick Deleon is a slug (slow) and does not hustle on top of it.

6. el gato bandito

el gato bandito New Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a huge fan of Jones myself, but saying he should be dropped in favor of Rowe and Silva is crazy talk. There are probably 5-10 other names that I would find more believable as options before throwing those out there.

7. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep, I agree with you that there are 5-10 names currently on the roster that are questionable. I'm just throwing Rowe and Silva into the hat depending on chemistry and position.

Klin's has to consider slotting a recently traded (dumped) part-time 33 year old club player heading into the most demandingly physical soccer tournament in the world...

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Silva or Rowe to replace Jones now this. Who are you referring to? You don't appear to know much about the USMNT.

9. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the 2014 version of this line up.

Jozy
    Fabian Dempsey Donovan
    Jones Bradley
    Beasley Besler Gonzalez Cameron
    Howard​

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general (and in theory) I subscribe to your basic logic. Too many old guys .... very bad for the team. I'm the same guy who argued back in 2010 that there was ZERO chance whatsoever that Donovan would be on the 2018 WC team and something slightly less than 50/50 to be a starter for 2014 (in the face of a torrent of ridicule at the time). But the whole Silva business is silly. The guy isn't good enough to be a starter for DCU at the moment. I mean, he has played himself out of the starting lineup. Also, I give you a pass on Jones, because while I do think he can be more useful than you seem to believe, I also don't find some of the counter-arguments concerning JK's high regard of him persuasive. This is a forum about idea sharing, If we just don't discuss topics because JK says it is settled (or insert other authoritative name associated with whatever team), we would have much less to discuss around here. That being said, I would hope that JK would put the guys who give us the best chance to win on this roster. It'll be difficult enough even if we do that.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please give us the persuasive counter-argument for not dropping Jones in favor of Silva or Rowe. All you have said (like 5 or 6 other posters) is that it is silly. I guess that is persuasive enough?

12. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Apparently TheHoustonHoyaFan does not realize the thread he's actually posting to "Road to the Roster: Klinsmann concerned about Jermaine Jones." The person whom is the subject I'm referring to is of course Jermaine Jones.

Onefineesq says. "But the whole Silva business is silly. The guy isn't good enough to be a starter for DCU at the moment. I mean, he has played himself out of the starting lineup"

You are wrong.

FYI: Silva has not played himself out of the lineup. He's injured. Out 4-5 weeks with ankle injury.

You guys don't even watch MLS games. It's impossible to have a conversation with dudes that fabricate their own facts.

Please give us the persuasive counter-argument for not dropping Jones in favor of Silva or Rowe...right on!

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea that was the topic of this thread.:rolleyes:

You said
    recently traded (dumped) is not Jones, part-time is not Jones, 33 year old is not Jones. I still have no idea who you are posting about.

Did you say something about fabricating facts?

14. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #114 Footsatt, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    You chose the wrong national team as you poster child for youth. The Italians didn't haul out Totti, but they did haul out Pirlo, and there are 11 guys in this 42 man provisional roster that are 29 or older. 8 will be 30 or more this summer.

This list does not include 2 goal keepers that are in their 30s.

M - Pirlo - 34 (35 in May)
    D - Barzagli - 32 (33 in May)
    LB - Pasqual - 32
    F - Cassano - 31 (32 in July)
    S - Gilardino - 31 (32 in July)
    M - De Rossi - 30 (31 in July)
    CM - Aquilani - 29 (30 in July)
    D - Chiellini - 29 (30 in August)
    CM - Parolo - 29
    M - Montolivo - 29
    M - Poli - 29

15. el gato bandito

el gato bandito New Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Starters Rowe is a midget, and would be destroyed by the German midfielders. Silva has no international experience at all, Rowe hasn't ever played with the senior team.

While they have both been good MLS players, neither is exactly setting the world on fire or playing at a level that demands a call up. If Jones isn't going to be on the roster there is no reason whatsoever to pick those two players over people like Edu, Gil, Corona, Feilhaber, Torres, or hell...even Brek Shea.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You yourself say Silva is out 4-5 weeks with ankle so that in itself makes the case for him unpersuasive. I agree with you that his problem is the teams he played for, just for starters. That doesnt mean a problem is not a problem. Imagine if Andrew Wenger had gone to play for Fullham reserves in June 2012 when he came out of college. He might be a serious prospect at this stage but the fact is he didnt and he isnt.

As for Rowe - he would have been an interesting prospect had he been tried out earlier but Klinsi only calls young developmental players from foreign clubs, never the MLS. If you want to argue you can say that Yedlin disproves the rule. There will be zero players going from MlS to Europe from the WC team and that includes Rowe because he will not be selected and that is that.

Now jones - we must find a replacement for him because he will never play 90' in Brazil anyway.

17. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    :speechless::speechless::thumbsdown:

18. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    For me their is no chance a healthy JJ doesn't go. The debate is really who should pair with MB.

This is a tournament and injuries/cards happen. What happens if MB and Cameron both get hurt? We will all be thankful a seasoned veteran is on the roster.

I don't want JJ starting but I want him on the plane.

19. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones should absolutely go to Brazil but he should NOT be starting next to Bradley, that players should be Edu, who I've watched every game this year for the Union and is really playing well, spraying Jones'esque passes all over the field , UP the field mind you, not square-pass, square-pass, square-pass.
    He's the guy we need out there and he has also added some muscle to his frame, he looks damn good.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't good enough .... and he most certainly has played himself out of the lineup. I know he is out injured. The fact that it took his injury to wake people up to the fact that he has added nothing to DC is the problem of the people who didn't see it to begin with ..... like yourself. But you do realize that since his early injury against Chicago, DC has gone on to a 2 win, 2 draw record? The record with Silva playing major minutes? 0 wins and 2 losses, with 0 goals scored. His lack of production will keep him in a bench role is what I'm saying. And I guess that type of production is absolutely fantastic for someone who you apparently think is an amazing selection to help the USMNT run an offense.

To answer Houston Hoya, I actually like Rowe. What I stated as silly is the notion of dropping Jones for Silva. Hell, the notion of dropping ANYONE for Silva is silly, based upon Silva's lack of production. Outside of a brief spike for a few games after joining DCU last year, he has been essentially a non-factor in any meaningful way. That he is getting seriously discussed as a member of the US national team is a head scratcher and a scathing indictment of what people apparently think about our national team.

deuteronomy, Mr Martin and TabLalas repped this.
  21. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Well in the 4 weeks since JK's comments it looks like Jones has heeded the call. He has played in every match since those comments, going the full 90 in his last 4.

Date
    ResultPlayComment
    2-28T0-0start-58 minfirst start after groin injury
    3-05L0-2start-80 minInternational break-Ukraine match
    3-09W1-0start-61 min
    3-15T2-2benchRest against bottom tier? Almedia also did not start
    3-23W3-0sub 37 minPicks up YC
    3-28L0-1start 90 minPicks up YC
    4-05W2-1start 90 minPicks up YC
    4-11T1-1start 90 min
    4-20T1-1start 90 minPicks up YC

The bad news. I have watched his last 5 matches and I think JK should not expect the JJ of 2012-2013 when he was voted essentially tied for 2nd at the #8 slot in the BL1. IMO he has regained full match fitness after his 2 month layoff but he seems defensively 1/2 a step slower than last year. He is now missing more of his tackles than he has in the past.

Highlights of his last match with a good through ball at 1:44
    http://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/turkey-spor-toto-super-lig/20-04-2014-besiktas-fenerbahce.html

TabLalas and gmonn repped this.
  22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked pretty chippy. Could have gotten a second yellow for his challenge after getting hit in the face.

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could have but not on that play. There were 12 YCs in that match. It could easily have been 20. Besiktas players were also sent off with YC-RCs.

24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    It's good to know he's back to picking up a card every game. This means JJ's settled in.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States