Road to Euro 2012

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Chess_Panther, Jun 8, 2010.

1. EURO2004PEREIRA

Apr 15, 2012
    Club:
    Vitoria Guimaraes
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you vandal!!!!!!!!! u took the words out of my mouth

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    People lobbying for vaz te to start for the national team. Now I've seen everything . You Should be red carded for even entertaining the thought

3. EURO2004PEREIRA

Apr 15, 2012
    Club:
    Vitoria Guimaraes
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    im not saying he should start but he warrants a call up

4. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    What he said.

We just want a striker who has the potential to make a breakthrough on the roster this summer. Honestly, I've always liked Postiga and he has obviously done good things for the NT, putting together some quality performances and scoring some important goals during the most recent qualifying campaign.

However, I don't see how anyone who watches Portugal play with Postiga or Almeida up front all the time (and actually wants the team to succeed) can object to having Vaz Te (or Oliveria, etc.) as the second option (or first if he deserves it) at striker at the Euros. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone who's got the scoring touch right now at the team's disposal if Portugal is in the same predicament against Denmark as when the teams faced each other last? With all the attention Cristiano and Nani attract from defenders, just imagine if Portugal had a striker who could also scare the opposition.

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    All good points. I just dont know that scoring goals in the English second divisions means that Vaz Te should be that player. Look at his stats. Not exactly impressive when he was playing first division against world class players. Now if his teams does get promoted and he continues to score (next year) then by all means, bring him up. For now though, I think we should be with Hugo and Oliveira.

6. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But that role will fall on Nelson Oliveira, and rightly so. So RVT will have to wait as we also need Postiga and Almeida there because they have done the qualifying and already have an understanding with the rest.

7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Im a big fan of Vaz-Te and those who have been in this forum with me over the years have seen me tout him in my posts as a massive talent. However up until this season only glimpses of his obvious promise have shone through. This is synonymous of a few others eg Jose Goncalves, Manuel Da Costa, Bruno Gama, players of enormous potential that on the most part have not delivered.

However to bring him into the side at this late at the expense of Almeida, Postiga or Oliveira would be damaging to the moral of the side and as a coach send the wrong message to the players.

Come september (as i have said in the WC14 qaulifying forum) Oliveira, Vaz te, Da Costa, Reis, Vieirinha, Andre Santos, Castro etc need to be blooded but for now stick with what we have unless Almeida or Postiga get injured. Then all bets are off.

8. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well put, my thoughts exactly. We have just one slot for a young prospect and Nelo should get it IMO. We can try RVT when we have some friendlies pre-WC qualification.

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Not sure about you guys but I'm pumped for this tournament. I haven't felt this happy for a tournament since 2006. I think we have enough quality all over the field to pull something off (albeit with luck, of course). Having the current best player in the world won't hurt either :D

10. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, me too. Especially because we are so underrated now. :D

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    also we have a good goal keeper, well ehs playing well this season anyways..

lets hope Sporting and Real Madrid win the Europa league and CL, then so much of our starting XI will have won european titles this season:cool:

12. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Or maybe we should want them to lose and have a point to prove at the EC. :D

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Meireles & Bosingwa proved why they belong on this roster. Both played great defensively.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Only problem is we're in a tough group.

15. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007

Amazing game...feel sorry for Meireles though. He's going to miss the final because he picked up a yellow card in both games against Barca.
    Thought he was great defensively in both legs.

16. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Our striker options besides Oliveira are limited. However, that is still not a good enough reason to call up vaz-te. The theory of going with the unknown just because our options are average is flawed. Whose to say Vaz-te, a guy who has never made it or played well in a first division team will stink it up? That's the more likely scenario considering his past history of failures. Just because he has one good year in a 2nd division team (Championship or no championship, the level of competition isn't as high as you guys make it out to be) he should warrant a call-up? Nope.

17. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I think the likely scenario is all our strikers will stink it up no matter who we call, we just need a guy who is good with his feet so he can at least combine with Nani and Ronaldo and I don't see that in any of our strikers. I have seen nothing that gives me confidence in Oliveira, I think he has potential but he will be useless this summer, especially if he is used on the wing like last time.

18. cristiano_ronani

Apr 26, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    The thought of having vaz te on the same pitch as ronaldo is actually insulting towards ronaldo.

Keep him away from our seleccao.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    That's the truth. I just don't think he should be totally overlooked because he's currently playing against weaker competition. It'd be equally wrong to assume Postiga or Almeida would have 20-plus goals playing in Vaz Te's spot this season as it would to assume Vaz Te would have as many goals in La Liga or the EPL.

The fact is that he is an unknown, but an intriguing unknown. He's only 25 and was injured off and on for the past few years. His name should at least be in the discussion.

20. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I think those of us who argue in favor of Vaz Te know he probably isn't the answer. On the other hand, he could be the missing piece and the only way to know is to give him an opportunity, be it this summer or during WC Qualifying. The thing that should work in the favor of any up and coming striker is that the two guys getting all the minutes in front of them are most definitely not the answer. We can all agree on that, I think.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I think the best managers exhibit a cut-throat mentality when it comes to naming a roster. While it is important to reward those who enabled the team to qualify and make sure you have a true team rather than a collection of individuals, it is also important to go with the hot hand. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but unless you're choosing to leave a star/legend/team leader off the roster, you can't really argue picking a guy who's having a career season at a position of weakness.

If, for instance, a Vaz Te or Oliveira were chosen in Almeida's stead, would that really cast a death pall over the entire team and doom it to an early exit? And if it did, what the hell would that say about the fragility of our team's psyche, both individually as well as collectively. The guys on the roster have to trust the manager, so if one selection such as the example provided leads the the team falling apart it says a lot about more than just whether or not Player A should've been chosen over Player B.

If Bento chose Vaz Te over Almeida, he should be able to step in front of the team or the media at a press conference and say, "I chose the hot player, one who deserves to be on this team based on recent performances. I don't play favorites, as evidenced throughout our qualifying campaign. I name a side which gives Portugal its best chance at victory." And once he says that it shouldn't be an issue.

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The thing is are we moving forwards or backwards. Getting too young guys on the team is crucial for the experience... Almeida/Postiga are experienced players but they really haven't been consistent for us. This is a position that is vital of importance if we want to win games.

23. EURO2004PEREIRA

Apr 15, 2012
    Club:
    Vitoria Guimaraes
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    so Vaz te isnt worthy enough because he plays in the Championship and you guys want a proven expeirenced goal scorer..................

Joao Tomas....oh wait he is too old even though he is the only Portuguese player in the top goal scorers chart in Portugal and he is a proven goalscorer in Portugal and Spain!!!!!!!!!!

lets not discriminate the euro is only a month long not 5 years if it were 5 yrs i see your point but its not

24. EURO2004PEREIRA

Apr 15, 2012
    Club:
    Vitoria Guimaraes
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    and Postiga Vaz te and Tomas are the best portuguese strikers we have now....Postiga has been really good this yr

25. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

That's exactly right. So why the excessive punctuation?