Road to Brazil 2014: ' The Hex ' General Discussion.

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jan 28, 2013.

1. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico defeats Panama 2-1 at el Azteca.

Great Chilena by whoever that Mexican player was but a really tough loss after working so hard to draw it up.

Panama played a way better second half then the first that is for sure. Penedo's save on Chicharito's pk was huge and gave new life to the team and almost ended up saving them.

As much as I hope for help from the Ticos this victory tonight could have sparked Mexico to finish strong. Panama would need to outgun the US at home and then hope their neighbors put a hurting on Mexico. I unfortunately see neither happening.

That was a great freaking Chilena though man. Congrats Mexico, a hard fought battle that is for sure.

JohnnyFutbol repped this.
  2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Whata way to win by Mexico.. this was some storybook ending type stuff.. the prodigal son of El Azteca, Raul Jimenez... with the most absurd way of possibly clinching Mexico's ticket to Brazil/Play-offs

Jeeeez. Kinda upset that we have to play in Jamaica now smh.

3. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Panama didnt seem to want it man

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    df you mean?? They played the better game in the 2nd half.. Theres absolutely nothing you could've done to prevent that Raul Jimenez gol from dropping.. NOTHING.. it was mfin divine intervention.

5. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I mean, as a team whos losing the entire second half, them walking around for any balls out of bounds doesn't seem to want it. Also, the defending on Raul was ridiculously weak. Now, im not taking away all the credit. Great game in a hard stadium, I just say they didn't want it as bad. You should know. Remember when la H was losing? Every ball was ran out, fought out, every man marked and no time given. Same stadium. They wanted it more. Thats how I see it anyways

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea I can't agree with this.. once Panama was down they entered the 2nd half the same way Honduras did. Pressuring and upping their lines. They also changed their schemes to our same 4-4-2 and added a more mobile forward in El Fantasma Torres. If it wasn't for that Jimenez goal Panama were gonna run away with that 1 point. They needed something that extraordinary for them not to. Panama equalized and defended for dear life.. the goal dropped too quick for Dely to really re-scheme his attack into a defensive posture and plus he had no more changes so it was a culmination of things, but it surely wasn't want.. they wanted it.. hence the equalizer, but after the goal.. Vuce took advantage put in Raul and Panama fell.

7. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I just saw a sort of laziness in them. I remember seeimg the honduras game and CR game and idk, I felt that both ran everything more than panama did today in all parts of the game

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Lack of experience in these situations I guess. lol this is trademark CONCACAF WCQ. Makes everything so exciting.

9. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Could also have been cautiousness. There was no way Panama was going to leave themselves open to the counter, they only did this at the very end of the match and it almost cost them. With Goal differential being critical I'm sure they were looking to not concede more goals.

10. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I guess, I felt that they didn't use their game of height. They weren't more dangerous when they needed to be, at set pieces.

11. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    True, but having a chance to win, I feel they should've gone for it. Too much reliance on other teams now

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ikr.. I was like "how many corners is it gonna take for one of those bozos to finally bury one into the back of the net"

Shoulda took out Blas a lot much earlier than they did.. waste of a sub in Jairo for Sanchez.. Jairo Jimenez should've started from the jump and put El Negretillo on the left.

Dely failed tonight on all angles.. schemes, subs, adapting to Vuce's tactics, post-game interview, pre-game interview.. everything. Probably lost his locker room too.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #338 Clint Eastwood, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    The surprise to me yesterday was how awful Jamaica played against a seemingly uninterested US team. Lifeless. So I expect Honduras to take care of business against them and wrap up 3rd place. Jamaica has some good athletic forwards, but they don't have any playmakers. There are no Andy Williams' on that team.

The good news for Mexico (and what a goal!!) is that they now control their own destiny. But Costa Rica will certainly do them no favors.

The squad selection the USMNT picks in Panama will be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaally interesting. Klinsmann earlier said that finishing 1st in the hex was a goal, so he selected a strong group of players for Jamaica. With Costa Rica's loss, the US has clinched 1st place in the Hex.

With a strong starting XI yesterday, the US looked fairly uninterested and lifeless against a woeful Jamaica. With Bradley, Dempsey, Fabian Johnson, and Eddie Johnson already out of the squad injured.........Beasley got hurt yesterday to join them. With 1st place wrapped up, Klinsmann has already said they will make some changes to the squad. We could see some veterans like Donovan, Howard, and Jones rested.

Mexico better get the result in Costa Rica, because the US is going to field a "B+" team at best in Panama. I think they should go into their game against CR assuming Panama's going to win that game against the US.

All Panama needs to do for the blueprint on how to beat the US is watch the US games from Costa Rica and Honduras.
    The only team to concede 3 goals in this entire Hex was the US' awful display against Costa Rica.

Klinsmann has never won a game in Central America, and I wouldn't count on them winning this one either.

14. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So the head to head is no longer the first tiebreaker? Because thats how its always been in the past....Thats how the U.S. finished first in the 2005 hex despite Mexico having a better goal differential and more goals scored.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It had to be the player from the greatest team on the continent to score a goal like that :cool:

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @drunkguy10

Unless he means greater than Brazil and Argentina.

17. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought North America by itself is a continent ;)

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong :) ).........................

Teams are ranked first by total points in all games, then, if tied, by best goal differential in all games, then by total goals in all games. If still tied, the same criteria are applied to games among the tied teams.

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This is correct ^

They do this to encourage attacking/entertaining football.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Which of course means that if Mexico loses 1-0 against CR, and Panama wins 1-0 against the US......................the two would end up with the same goal difference. It would come down to goals scored, where Panama has a +2 advantage over Mexico. Panama advances.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    First domino to fall.................

Jermaine Jones going back to Europe.

Jermaine Jones ‏@Jermainejunior 48m
    What an awesome night yesterday!!! Big thanks to the fans and good luck in Panama Boys! @TBoyd91 http://instagram.com/p/fX2bq8qGdM/

So the US will now definitely be without what we'd consider 5 starting caliber players (Bradley, Dempsey, Jones, Fabian Johnson, and Eddie Johnson). The guy who's been starting at left back, Beasley, suffered a mild hamstring injury last night..............so he's probably out. So that's 6. Word on Donovan and Howard to come.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drunkguy take care of your minnions.

23. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    he is right my friend, Raul Jimenez has a great talent, but he still needs to do more to prove he is as good as Messi and Neymar... give him time though. He should be playing in Europe next season.

He is definitely one of the best players in the "sub-continents" of North and Central America.

24. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Hes so young too. Hes how old? 21? Ridiculous skill and smart gameplay from him. Hes the future for Mex for sure

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Boom..................

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ine-jones-and-matt-besler-depart-usmnt-camp-a

Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Tim Howard (Everton), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04) and Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), who all started Friday's 2-0 win over Jamaica, have departed camp with a US Soccer Federation statement clarifying that Donovan and Jones have injury concerns.

"Landon is still struggling with the ankle injury from a couple weeks ago, so he will go back to Los Angeles and try to get back to 100 percent," Klinsmann said in a US Soccer press release. "Jermaine's case is more of a concern. His knee was bothering him all night but he battled through. It's clear that the issue with his knee is something that should be taken care of right away so he can be 100 percent for Schalke and the National Team as soon as possible."
    Only one player has been called in as a replacement with Chicago Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson reporting for international duty after his MLS team's Saturday night match vs. FC Dallas.

[As noted the US is already without Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Fabian Johnson, Eddie Johnson, and John Anthony Brooks. Beasley probably won't play due to a hamstring problem, but he appears to be going to Panama.]