Rivero Injury

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by crazyjon85, Jan 29, 2013.

1. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better now than later? :-(

gooberlx and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ah yes. I forgot about him. He would tentatively be arriving soon with time to acclimatize (alt. and team), and as you say if he is all he is supposed to be, this could be a good temp. replacement. I like Smith in there too, he often seems composed and with an eye for the play.
    BTW: anyone see what happened to Rivero exactly? I reran the vid. several times where it looks like he got hurt and all I see is him pushing a pass to Hill (who was offsides) then it looks like he has some pain and goes to the ground (then out of camera view). I did not see any tackle or hit on him.
    Oh, and I find it exceptionaly annoying and in bad taste that one of the announcers called Rivero's -at the time "possible"- injury payback for the hit that Thomas put on Valeri (which I thought was poorly timed and uncalled for).

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Hill would be next in line, he is a different type of 10 who distributes the ball more then holding on to it. LaBrocca for me is further down the line, he is an #8 not a #10. So if not Hill, then it must be one of the new S. American guys. I could see us using Thomas, Powers and LaBrocca against like Galaxy or Seattle, to be a little more defensive.

4. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is good to hear, since I often see Hill not willing or able to manage the ball for more time when he has it at midfield. I often see that as a lack of confidence with ball holding but, that critisism could be misplaced. Hill has been attacking well (as a forward IMO) the last few games of 2012 and then yesterday. Wonder if OP will keep him with that rather than move him to a #10. Necessity dictates, however.

5. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hills a natural center forward were playing a 4231(433 vartations) with 2 cdms and a cam just infront of them. perfect natrual spot for hill.

6. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but rooney has better medical staff and a better doctors. plus rooney is always injured now foot or not his not producing like he was a few years ago. sorry but a guy at riveros age and weight that bone is going to be brittle if they gotta put a metal plate in there even some screws thats not going to end well for him. first guy to step on that foot risks a even higher chance of a worse break.

7. Nick50

Nick50 Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rivero is only 23. I think he'll overcome this fine. In the meantime, having seen a lot of Harbottle over the past few years, I think he will be a more than adequate replacement if Pareja wants to put him in there.

Stuart95 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He's an athletic 23 year old with access to extremely talented doctors, not an 85 year old woman with osteoporosis. Relax. Yes, he might be at a higher risk of injury from here on out, but until we know the extent of the injury, all your blather about this being career-ending is simply insane. And Rooney scored 34 goals in 44 games (all competitions) last year, matching his previous best season (which was 2009-2010), so... yeah. You're wrong.

gooberlx and Jasonma repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak specifically to ManU, but I know the general comments made by players who have played in both MLS and Europe (particularly England) is that they are impressed by how much better the fitness and medical staff is in the U.S. Not a surprise when you think about it. Sports are seen much more like a big business in the U.S. with all the money and investment in resources that go along with that.

As for a replacement for Rivero, don't rule out Eloundou.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now lets see...

Our current casualty list consists of our fastest defender, our "proven goalscorer" that we actually paid something for, and the one guy that Pareja was supposedly building this team around...

What could possibly go wrong?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK Quinn, I've got a lot of tolerance for your posts because for the most part you're right, but even I'm starting to get tired of the constant negative attitude. When was the last time you posted anything positive?

SoccaJ repped this.
  12. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when's the last time the rapids done something positive when this happens me and quin will lighten up.

13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pointing out that the team is on some thin ice. Sue me.
    Off the top of my head? Diego Calderon and the WCQ.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Nick50

Nick50 Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm actually quite excited to see Harbottle getting a good run of games in his absence actually..

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess all those midfielders in camp will hopefully pay off now. One of them has to be able to play that position right?

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sucks. Big time. But one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity. Someone, whether that's Hill or Harbottle, needs step up and grab the bull by the horns. It's going to interesting to see how this injury impacts the Rapids.

As one who has broken both feet; it's not the end of the world but it's certainly no easy recovery. Both times I broke the bone just above the big toe. The bone healed quickly, in mere weeks, but the recovery and rehab focused on the extensor hallicous longus. IIRC, that's the tendon that moves the big toe up and down. You don't realize how vital that big toe is for planting, pivoting, or any forward motion. Both times, I was cleared for running within 9 weeks but didn't return to game action for another 7 to 9 wees. It took quite a while to gain the trust of my foot and to have that tendon pain free. Once it did, I returned to full speed and have not had any lingering issues.

18. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you now have a toe bunion :D

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the silver lining in all this, unless he makes a particularly fast recovery, is that he'll likely start the season on the DL for the first 6 weeks, freeing up a roster and international spot for somebody to try to make their mark.

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    How did it happen? All I remember is at one point the camera caught him limping. Did he get stepped on?

22. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    Har (har).

23. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlucky for him and us. I was anxious to see how he'd do having some time under his belt and a full pre-season.

Even so, I think having a healthy Wynne is more important. The team's ability to out score the opposition is a lot more dependent on preventing goals than on scoring them.

24. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one touched him, looks like he just kicked wrong or turned wrong. (that video is JUST the injury from the best angle)

25. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i know you all hate fifa 13 but they added powers kindle brown hartbottle to the rapids

harbottle's stats are all under 50 expect for his balance. brown has 78 sprint speed decent strength 4 star weak foot for star skills. kindle calderon powers all are under 60's but hey we dont know where there at. just found it funny hartbottles statsa re all under 50.