River Plate 2012-13 Season: El Regreso del Mas Grande [R]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Now that we are competing in international tournaments, it would've been wise to keep him around at least coming off the bench and be a super-sub. It would be ideal. His days as a starter are over but he is far more useful and dangerous playing 15-20 minutes a game. I don't understand, why let him go?

My theory is that David said he wanted to be a starter and Ramon said "Hell no!, you're too injury prone."

2. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Others to lose out are not so famous but Lucas Pugh under 17 and under 20 international has missed the boat and desperately needs to be loaned out

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is a disgrace! David is a legend and one of the few who truly loves the club...

We always ask why wont aimar, saviola, D'Alessandro, etc return we'll I think the answer is quite simple. Not only do you have to resign money, but you could be erased like a dog the minute you have a spell of bad games or injuries! This is what happened with David, Chori, and Cavenaghi

Meanwhile, as we get rid of our good players in a disgraceful fashion, FM9 has been allowed to rack up over 100 games at the club yet always gets unconditional support from Passarella and whoever the DT at the time is all so they can try and get some multi-million dollar offer that will never come. It's disgusting. Playing on one leg, David scored as many goals as FM9 in half as many games!

The worst part is, we don't have any forwards left. Iturbe and Mora are gone and we only have Luna and Andrada in addition to Funes Bobi. Andrada has played 6 first team minutes in his career and Luna has been terrible since arriving at River... Where does Ramon think we're going to get goals from? Does he know a forward is coming that we don't know ab?

The scary thing, is that when we played the nacional b, we had a much better team than when we played the torneo inicial, now it looks like when we return to international competition after 4 years, we're going to have a worse team than the one that disputed the torneo final, as rumors are floating around about both Vangioni and Balanta leaving.

locoxriver and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  4. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lanzini must be retained. He is improving continually and his value will only improve.

Cirigliano surely is worth keeping if he can recover his form and not have his nose put out of joint. Kranevitter is a most elegant 5 and can play box to box.

Pity about Trezeguet as it leaves the depth in the forwards very thin.

It would be nice if Aimar could return indeed several other former River players but if the funds are not there and they feel this is not going to be a competitive team well. Newells have benefitted from the return of some old boys who can add their experience and pass on their knowledge.

So could the pibes. It might be worth spending a little now in order to recoup more money further ahead with on field success. Constantly selling jewels is going to send us back to square one season after season, rebuilding for a future we wont reach.

la saeta rubia and locoxriver repped this.
  5. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guys, can't we just see who the team brings in before this transfer season is a negative?

It sucks for Trezeguet but as far as I'm concerned he didn't have anything left to offer. Remember all those memorable goals he scored in the primera? Yeah me either. He'd been injury prone for years and put together a good half season over a year ago, sure it was hugely important for the club but that's the past. You don't pay for the past you pay a player for what they'll give you in the future. Sentimentality doesn't win games or score goals, ya fue.

megamac20817 repped this.
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well to be fair Trezeguet didn't play nearly as much in primera as the other forwards, so I don't think it's good way of measuring him. And even when he did, he didn't offer less than Funes Muertis or Luna. Sure, I'd get your point if we had, say, Higuain and Cavenaghi as forwards -- but we don't. Right now there isn't anyone showing anything more than Treze, despite receiving more opportunities. If anything they're showing much less.

Besides what he contributes on the pitch, Trezeguet was also fundamental to the locker room according to almost every teammate he's had in River. We were building an interesting squad with plenty of veteran leaders (Treze, Ponzio, Ledesma, etc. + Demichelis in the future?), which is the main reason River has one of the most united locker rooms in the country. If he couldn't help as a starter, he could have definitely helped as a super sub + "team uniter."

He should have been given 6 more months to prove himself after returning from surgery. Letting him go in December -if he didn't perform in the inicial- would have made muuuuch more sense.

7. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Trezeguet was a very important player in our return but probably as Steazy says he hadnt that much left to offer.Whats more worrying is the bitching bewtween Diaz and Passarella. Ramon says Passarella must produce in transfer market and the Kaiser replies that he will but Diaz must win the title.Fine behind closed doors but on ole hardly the right way to be conducting business.

8. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With all due respect to Trezeguet, the club didn't bat an eye when it was time to let Ortega go because he wasn't up to River's level anymore, and Trezeguet is no Ortega as far as I'm concerned.

Wonderful player in his day, and it was great to have him at River and score some key goals to return us to Primera, but he has undeniably been a non-entity for us since our return, and I'd rather take chances on kids like Pugh, Simeone and Andrada than hold on to a player that probably can't cut it at this level anymore.

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Copa Sudamericana match ups aren't set as Olé and various other media outlets were reporting. There will be a sorteo on Wednesday. River can face Belgrano, Racing, or San Lorenzo.

Who would you guys want to face?

I don't think any of these games are easy. I know the Sudamericana has always been structured like this, but I don't like how the first round is always teams from the same country. Teams from bigger leagues should get to play weaker opposition from Peru or Bolivia or something.

Belgrano is well organized with a great defense, but has no goalscoring ability. Sadly, neither does River at this point in time. If we draw Belgrano, there is no doubt they will pull a Bianchi and try and go through on pens.

Racing has talented youngsters and now Centurion is back from injury. We beat them pretty easily in Avellaneda in the Final, in a game we should have won by 4 or 5 but bad finishing made it close until the end when Lanzini liquidated it. Good news is Vietto is suspended for the first leg.

San Lorenzo would be the hardest game I think, they have a good mix of youth and experience and they hammered us badly in the Final. I would however love revenge on them for 2008, but this is definitely the hardest of the 3.

However, any of these ties will be near impossible if River doesn't incorporate well, especially up front.

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina