Riquelme quits the national team

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, I'm pissed at him because I do want him on the team. Of course Argentina is a better team with Roman than without him.

But hey, we got plenty of other good players. if Argentina can do well without him, all is good. And if they suck, then there's going to be pressure for him to come back, and maybe once things cool down he will return.

Meanwhile, I'm glad we have him at Boca.

2. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just to play devils advocate, what's going to happen if Argentina from here on out plays like amazing and wins the WC?

Will Boca apologize to Diego? Will he accept? Will they then blame JRR?

Just curious.

3. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If we go on to play amazing I'm sure we'll all be happy......It's hard to say whether Boca will apologize, Ischia stated he didn't like it so we'll see. As for Diego accepting, I'm sure he will. Roman though will come out of this in La Boca totally clean. As for the rest of the country, enough said:D

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why apologize? Congratulate yes.

It would be cool if it happened like in 1978. Argentina won the World Cup without any Boca players, and then Boca won the Intercontinental cup. I'd take that.

5. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very sad story. I also think both Diego and Roman are to be blamed equally. They may talk about codigos, but finally it's just another ego clash, and both are known for having big egos.

We should not be mislead by the recent "victories"; the team needs a real playmaker, and Roman is the best in that category. I hope we find a proper replacement, or better that these 2 idiots can put their egos aside and work together for the benefit ot the country.

6. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How long can you guys argue on this issue, it's worse than a bunch of old timers who've seen it all just before the big kick off of the rival sports game.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You do know that the easiest way to avoid this issue/debate/argument is not enter this thread? If you are not interested in discussing the matter any further simply avoid the thread. Easy huh:rolleyes:

8. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have, for the most part, but I would be annoyed by the yapping of you old men if this kept going on a long time in real life, the thread keeps getting bumped up is just as annoying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] baka

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's therapeutic to argue about it. But it still sucks.

I bet this wouldn't have happened if Bianchi was Argentina's coach.

10. Pasión_Albiceleste

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    if i had a vote thats how i would have gone...no bull shiiittt type of guy

11. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    Riquelme for not quiting earlier :D

12. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You know what in a f*cking seriousnes since when do we Argies ever not love the drama. I think this may be a fun ride, and really when one thinks about it a certain level of drama is when we shine most.:rolleyes:

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    After those couple of disappearing acts Messi pulled against France, I was sure someone would've posted something blame Roman for still not getting him the ball:D

14. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dun Dun Dun.........................

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And yet again you offer nothing constructive to this thread. If the topic has gone it's course for simply stay out of the thread.

16. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Whatever, I'll say, whatever I choose to say. If you don't like it don't respond to it. If you don't like how I posts sometimes, then don't respond to it. I rarely post stupid comments in the Argentina forum, so you don't have a ounce of proof to condemn me of anything. Let the thread go back on course.

17. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Come on lets all try to be civil here, fact is we all saw the writing on the wall did we not? I mean come on, did anyone for a New York minute think this was going to be smooth sailing with Deigo steering the ship??:eek:

18. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can take my own advice to, but my point wasn't to kill the thread. It's just sad seeing so much bitching about such old news. So I felt I had to point it out.
    Anyone who says they saw this is a liar to their teeth. Diego is doing a good job and his attitude is no worse than Capello or some of the great English Premiere League managers. I've always defended Riquelme and objectively stood up for his rights as a player. This is between two men, who probably won't get a long or might resolve their differences, who knows. The fans knawing at each others throats, particularily Boca fans ripping at each others throats won't change the situation or make it any better. I side with Diego on this issue, we don't need our Coach distracted by some player who at the moment is having a hissy fit. I would rather see Diego focused and forget about Riquelme. If I'm up to speed the door is still open for him and todos los quieres, pero, se no quieros iqual, nos vemos.

19. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I hope the door stays shut and locked forever. Time to take a serious look at alternatives. Aguero can be the #10 and play in the "hole" where Maradona wanted Riquelme to play. Maybe it was his plan all along, most of you believe that he takes orders from his son in law anyway :confused:

Or we can forget about the enganche altogether and build the team around Messi.

20. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    cliff motha fcuka damn 20 pages!

seriously you guys should start smokin weed!

21. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    There's some idol-worshipping Riquelme fans that can't comprehend Argentina moving on without Riquelme. I think it's best for the team and now what should really be discussed is who should play as a pure striker alongside messi and aguero. Possible team..

..........Zanetti/Cambiasso
    ........Masch.........Gago
    Messi..........................Aguero
    .................??

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Crespo? Cavenaghi?

23. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right or wrong, it was the performance I had been waiting to see for a long while. Call it dominant or not, there was a determination and a sense of urgency that I had not seen while Basile was in charge. That infuses me with optimism. It's not the kind of irrational optimism a hardcore Maradona fan would radiate but rather it's optimism mixed with hope. That comes exclusively from watching the players "get the job done" against France. At the very top, showing that control on the game and the confidence that goes with it, it's gold.

As much as you've heard the argument for the cheers that I noted, the same I have about the argument dismissing the cheers as a mere mockery of their own players. It's the half empty, half full you know.

I agree with your last paragraph and I have expressed myself in that direction. We still don't know whether (and when) we'll see a characteristic style of play but at least it seems that Diego has a more active approach than that of Basile. Hopefully, that means that he will be quick to react to the different circumstances during a game.

Sorry to tread on this when it looks like it's already running its course but what the heck.

I am not bitching at him for quiting. I am just confirming that I have been right all along --he was never fit for wearing the shirt.

That's it. Dust under the carpet.

24. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    + 1

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Do you guys even watch futbol?

While the haters keep pouring the hate over Roman, perhaps you don't notice that every Argentine team is embarrasing the country right now in La Copa, except for Boca and Roman.

So, keep hating if that's what you want. I just hope both Diego and Roman come to their senses, so Roman can bring to Argentina what he brings to Boca.