Riquelme quits the national team

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've watched the game over several times. I watched it several times only because I wanted to see why Maradona said that "a francia lo hicimos pasar el ridiculo" at times.

I thought that he was being funny but after repeated watchings, I can say that Maradona was right. At during the whole game but at moments, like he said, Argentina did the business to France.

As far as possession, with Bielsa we OWNED THE BALL but failed to learn how to play WITHOUT the ball. Which, in my opinion is just as important as playing with the ball.

Either way, on the 28th, when we play Venezuela we will have a definite glimpse of how Argentina will play when it really matters. That's when we can debate ad nauseum how La Seleccion is coming to together without Riquelme.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not to disrespect Venezuela, but lets get real. Playing at home, I would hope we can beat them without much trouble, with or without Riquelme.

3. Pasión_Albiceleste

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    considering our recent form in the qualifiers im just asking for a win...the team is suspect with or without jrr

4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A convincing win by 3 or 4 goals would be very nice indeed, failing that I would take a 1-0 win via dodgy penalty in the 90th minute. :p

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm right there with you.

6. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu

We are allowed to give our opinions right?

Theres nothing to argue about or comebacks like you said,no matter what is said about Riquelme not in his favor most of you boca fans fine an excuse to make him be the inoccent one.But to each their own. It is not like we are trying to diss him but to discuss the reason why he left for a second time, atleast thats what I was trying to have a discussion about. I for one never liked Riquelme on the NT but if he is on the team one has to live with it and root for Argentina. And this has nothing to to do with that I am a River fan because I love Carlitos Teves and like Gago. Just not too thrilled about Riquelme thats all.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No Bostero is giving him a free pass or making him the victim. What does bother us is had this whole thing been handled differently much if not all the drama would be avoided.

We've all agreed his form has been horrendous and his head not straight. Most of us until yesterday questioned whether he should even start for Boca. Like him or not but a motivated Riquelme is an asset to any side. Had Diego not called him out in public then Roman would have no need for a freak-out.

8. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    That's the issue, I dont think this team suffers without Riquelme, on the contrary, his style is more of a crutch to the team as I've stated before. Also, it seems like you are focusing on set-pieces as if it were the end all be all. Yes, set-pieces are important but it's not like the team can't win without one.

9. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    Really? So this is what 16 pages of ? A simple observation from Maradona was blown out of proportion turned into a fiasco. Maybe it couldve have been dealt with in another way but nothing to cry about. If what Maradona said or whatever the reason was MOTIVATES him to play better in boca then what he said also shouldve motivated him to prove that he belongs on the NT. Thats all, surely if this had happen to be some other player I am sure everyone will tearing that player a new one.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope they can. If Maradona's team does well, then I'll be happy. I'd love to see them playing well, regardless of whether or not Roman plays. With all the talent we have you'd think it shouldn't come down to one player.

But if they struggle and meanwhile Riquelme gets back in groove and brings Boca another title, then all I got to say is Diego better think of how to patch things up before the World Cup.

11. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Solid and threatening, Sir. When your are closer to scoring again than being scored against, when you look so dominant that even the local supporters turn to admiration, when you maintain a high tempo smothering and suffocating the opposition then you look solid and threatening in my books. And we did all that against one of the top European nations, not against Bolivia, Peru or the insanely overrated Mexico. We can only get better in my opinion.

12. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I suppose most of you are familiar with Antonio Serpa's weekly column, infamously know as El Contra. I think it's one of the highlights of OLE --not that it has many that loathsome paper. This time, it's Riquelme against Maradona (btw, browsing other football forums I came across this Freezelme variation and I though it was great!). Oh, please, don't take this as an attack on Riquelme. It's just too good not to post it.

Full article: http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2009/03/16/varios/01878221.html

13. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    WRONG!!! Though the team was clearly better than France, at no point were they dominant. Or if you want to say dominant, it would only be in a loose sense of the word. A convincing performance, it was not but it was just good enough to get the job done. Don't get me wrong. That in itself deserves credit but how exactly is that different than before? Must I bring up the fact that they did beat France only months earlier...and that they looked better in that performance? Were there more chances being created than usual? Geez, you would think that this team hasn't enjoyed any measure of success at all in recent years.

As far as the supporters of France turning on them, it's all too obvious. They recognized that their team played horribly and that it was only the continuation of a string of bad performances. Hence, their frustrations. I visit some french forums and understand where they're coming from. So their cynical cheers for the Argentina players were not a result of acknowledging brilliance. Rather, it was a way to express their disgust with their team...much like the last qualifier the team played in Brazil.

Still, since it was Diego's 2nd match, no right thinking person could be very critical of the team's performance. We will not get a clear picture of what the team will be like going forward for another few matches.

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    El Contra is a pancake, just look at his comments on the keepers...

15. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Leo, Leo , Leo.

You surely still think it is ONLY for calling him out on TV?

There are 3 pretty massive reasons:

1) BS and lie about not being able to take him to France, when he was available. And yet no call to him as to even ask if he could go. Which was PUBLIC that the club and coach had given him the green light. Shows a "careless" mistake, yet it is insulting to the player, who knows that there is no reason not to be able to locate him. He had prepared his pre-season focusing on that game and not the Torneos de Verano

2) The kids chants in the bus. Where was the authority from the NT coach to shut them? The conclusion is that it was yet another build-up from Diego to offend Roman. His silence on the issue meant something. Not calling him to clarify that he was still a part of his intentions for the NT indicates that there is intentionality in this.

3) The talk on TV, to further piss-off Roman.

Then after all 3, Roman gets calls. Diego can be the coach and say all he wants. Yet the posture in almost a month was to ostracize Roman without having the BALLS to call him an tell him directly (even better if it was face to face):"I don't want you with us, the group, my son-in law and his friend ... yada yada yada".

Diego has every right, based on current or even past form, not to call him. Roman quit the NT because the 3 above points are way too much in the codigos of football. The way he understands it.

All you Roman haters must be blind to anything that surrounds Roman and simply place your FOOTBALL CONCEPTS over the treatment he received.

Roman didn't deserve a call based on his form, yet the way he was treated by Diego, specially knowing each other well enough, is all a plan to get him out of the NT without stirring up dust at La Bombonera. The crowd gave Diego their veredict: "Diego te Fuiste de Boca" ... "Los Codigos no se Manchan".

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was in the locker-room not on the bus right after the match apparently there wasn't anyone from the coaching staff. But still the super-intelligent journalists reported about it just now because they didn't think it was a big deal... Go away, that doesn't even sound realistic at all. After all it wouldn't be the first made up thing on this story.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    If form is what we're going for then a lot of the players he called up didn't deserve to be there. Di Maria, Carrizo, Demichelis, Veron, Jonas, and especially Heinze are all currently playing like crap or close to crap. And as much as I love Tevez his play this season has been terribly inconsistent.

While Roman hasn't lit it up this season (the last game was an exception) we still saw last season his ability to change a game with just one play. I'd say it's good to have a player like that on your team even if his form the last month or so hasn't been good.

18. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    I heard just about everything that has been going on. I hear you, and honestly I think the problem has been even from when Basile was the DT. I have said before, just like many on this topic, Riquelme put himself in this position and im not just saying from what Maradona said in public where it could be the case that that was the icing on the cake, sorta speak.

He didnt get called to the friendly vs France, and? Maradona made it loud and clear that he had Roman in his plans and was saving the #10 for him aswell.

As for the chants, werent they something about Messi, ya llego Messi something like that? If thats the case maybe el Diego saw that the players were happy and really dont like Riquelme. Por algo sera....Didnt you say during or before the world cup that Scaloni was called to the NT because of the carisma he has with the players and that could be a positive thing in the group regardless he plays or not? Well Riquelme is the total opposite and Maradona sees that could be a problem in "his" seleccion. Lets not forget that Maradona was in that position before WC 86 leaving out Passarella,making everyone believe he had some kind sickness that prevented him from playing. I dont forget that Maradona es terrible HDP and nothing would suprize me.

Maybe he did use JRR poor performances and poor conditions to make an excuse not to take him.Maybe not.He did say he had him in his plans, maybe he wasnt going to start and Riquelme didnt want to be there knowing the "kids" were going to be starting and couldnt just handle it.

I do see where you are coming from but you have to understand that your lover boy ;) JRR has a bad reputation from previous fiascos and it will be very hard for me to take his side or believe him. Dont hate on us, he put himself in this situation. I'm not the blind one. :cool:

No player is bigger then the NT, nobody and in boca's game this past sunday like you said they gave their verdict.

PS. Doing anything for conference?

19. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

It was the very next day, and for several days on the radio talk shows. Perhaps the 2 major ones these days: Niembro's on Del Plata and Closs' on La Red. Listen to them daily (as I'm doing right now)

As to where it happened, it could have also been in the locker room. What I've heard from reporters is that it happened in the bus as well. Regardless, if Diego was being present, told by the kineseologos, or knowing thru the media (it was out the very next day- I insist) Diego knew about it. And it meant the "young group" didn't want Roman with them.

If Diego feels this is too strong, in order to have a unified group, it is fine. Roman is quite "strange" in his group dealings. It is a downer for most Boca fans anyways, where the unity of the group had achieved so many titles.

If Diego felt that HE couldn't get Roman to integrate with the group or at the very least, in the field, fight for the same objective, like is Roman's case at Boca, then we can start to seriously worry about the strength of Diego as team leader.

You have to start questioning how the players in Europe cope with team unity outside training and games. It is not as if they are accustommed to have the entire squad together. Yet they shine and play as a team as it is the case for Messi, Kun, Gago, Tevez, Demichelis, etc.

Roman's "exclusion" by the group seems to me more of a primadonna posture by "cracks" that don't want to have someone else impose their rythm, steal some if not all the starlight, and because of age differences they share different views of life. But isn't this the same thing that happened under Coco?

This is only some outsider analysis. The bottom line is that if Diego decided it was better for the group not to have Roman, he has the right to do so. But don't BS the player, someone he should have personal respect for, based on their past relationas and their convergence as Boca idols.

Roman waited to see a sign from Diego. He only saw smoke clouds instead than a face to face "thumbs down" to him. I'm sure the Dr. had a lot to do with the ways ... Diego followed, and did the things just wrong. And Roman didn't take it, not even from Diego.

As Bosterosoy said ... "le hicieron la cama" a Roman.

20. Pasión_Albiceleste

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    im jst saying this didnt demichelis say in that interview that the song didnt mean anything and that he had sung at a friiendly game before and he wasnt even -part of the next call up or something like that...i dont think we should put so much focus on a song sung after a victory, emotions are high, everyone is happy...its not like they were singing it and meaning verypart of what they said....its a victory chant that has been sung alot of other times in the past...i dont know ive grown tired of this and its only begun becasue depending on how the NT plays with out jrr a debate will insue on good riddence or god do we need him back

FRom OLE

21. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    Is "strange" the right word?:rolleyes:

Isnt it the other way around ? Sacate la camistea vieja.

blah

22. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    That quote is from November 2008. When Messi couldn't go because of Barza and when Diego left the "locals" focus on the Apertura '08 and Sudamericana '08.

The most recent chant was on Feb. 11th:
    "Estamos todos, ya llego Messi, no llamen mas ... "

The only ones not there were Roman and Veron. Of the "historic" ... because Crespo could also feel somehow alluded.

I'll put this in context for the last time:

1) Diego and Roman were very close, perhaps the closest to a current argentine NT player before Kun fished Gianina. This because their obvious Boca idol status.

2) Roman is BSed with the call to play in France. Bilardo explains it in his typical nonsense Spanish. Diego blames Bilardo publicly. All along sounded stupidly vague. Set-up? Too early to call it, benefit of the doubt.

3) The players chant they don't want anyone else. No response/explanation whatsoever from mega-media Maradona.

4) Diego talks on TV about Roman's shape, function, position and current form. Doesn't discuss it with Roman prior. Yet he traveled extensively to Europe to see and talk to each player.

All of the above are perfectly ok to happen. Diego failed to call Roman prior to 2, 3 and/or 4 ... and only started calling Roman after the game against Independiente, on March 8th.

Roman felt it was a disrespect and quit. And said he didn't share the same codes as Diego. Diego felt the truth deep inside.

La Bombonera punished Diego for lack of codes. In the meantime, the Roman hater country, blames Roman for quitting. Yet they don't want him in the NT either. In the words of philosopher Sir Coco "No hay pedazo que les venga bien ..."

LOL. ;)

23. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    VIP, I think you do a great job of laying out the key issues here but at this point, isn't it a bit like banging your head into a wall? This must be the 5th time you've gone through this in detail. I think it's clear that people form their opinions and disregard whatever fact doesn't align with their point of view. But hey, keep on fighting the good fight! :)

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    This is what I noticed. People here are bitching at Riquelme for quiting yet most of them didn't want him in the team either way :rolleyes:.

25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It really does seem odd huh? It will be interesting to see who becomes the scapegoat be if the team struggles.