Riquelme quits the national team

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Mar 10, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    "el que no salta, abandono!"

2. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: Para Grondona, Riquelme se acerca

More...

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think every one can agree that we need roman back:)

4. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure he can come as long as he stands in front of the group and explains to them why he left.

5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Will holding up a picture of Diego suffice? Now run down to Buenos Aires Bakery and get me some facturas!:D

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    JRR has to give his teammates an explanation. Giving it to Diego isn't enough.

Buenos Aires Bakery hasn't been the same since Anibal moved to Florida.

How about Rio de la Plata, they are my favs. :D

PS. NO media lunas today in honor of the moonwalker, RIP 2009

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hahaha! On our way back from the Bahamas we stopped off to visit my Viejo who also has a place in Miami and had lunch with Anibal. He gave me hell for coming into his place with a Boca shirt on. Feckin' cuervos:D

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everytime I've gone to Miami, I've missed him. He was in NY or something like that. Althought, I'm not completely sure if he stills own this one here in NYC anymore.

Right now I'm next to Boca's Restaurant, want a parrillada? lol

PS. On the 5th, I can only assume that you will be rooting for Velez!

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I will never publicly state who I'll be rooting for that day;) Anibal no longer owns the place in Queens but he still owns the name I believe and get's a small royalty. B/A Bakery also has a third location which I believe he still owns as well. Next time you're in Miami check out a place in Hollywood called Beef Eaters. It's a traditional steakhouse but very very good. For the first time I can ever remember, I left a plate of flan con dulce de leche not completely clean:eek::p Definitely not small deserts.

10. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm definitely going to try that place. Usually when I do, I frequent Vaca's Gordas on Normandy. Which is sort of around the corner from Anibals. Have you been there?

11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My viejo has mentioned it but I have yet to try it. Now that he has the condo in Aventura the wife and I will probably visit Miami more frequently. I like that you can virtually get foods from most any South American country unlike Austin. BBQ and Tex/Mex are good but let's be real.

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm glad you enjoyed. Now get out of the storms way!

13. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just thought I would share this. :):(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvDN5N69c9k"]Riquelme vs England 2005 By Zouzinho - YouTube[/ame]

14. DSGB

DSGB New Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I miss this guy so damn much. When you talk about missing a link between defense and attack, and you talk about controlling the tempo of the match, he obviously fits the bill.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, memories will burn you.Memories grow older as people can.They just get colder.- Billy Idol.

Chasing the past will always burn you. We need to learn to live without him. He is on his last legs, and as fantastic as he is playing, he needs to let his body heel, because the qualifiers are brutal.

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    and its not only riquelme, but the entire team knew what they're doing

sadly the coach didnt learn from this game, he took out riquelme and the team lost... he repeat that again against germany

for those who think roman never conquered Europe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DilCFCEobg"]Riquelme vs. Inter - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXxPhJFESMY"]Villarreal 3-Barcelona 0.avi - YouTube[/ame]

17. el-torero

el-torero Member

Aug 10, 2011
    malaysia
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    riquelme is class above almost all albiceleste midfield

sabella, play him in the next match, please

18. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    He repeated the same mistake in a friendly against Croatia. Frustrating but it's the way it is.

19. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He was a magnificent player. A languid artist whereas so much of the modern game is hustle and bustle.

He did not need to be that fast so long as there were players around him to do the legwork.

I keep hearing all this Spanish invented the tiki taka all this week during the European qualifiers. However we were playing this way long before and this video makes one hanker for that period of play and those before it.

Look at the movement off the ball , the one touch passing , the width provided by Sorin and the execution and invention. We lost this game in Geneva when he came off and unfortunately Pekerman repeated the error in the quarter final.

We certainly haven't replaced his dead ball delivery at setpieces a crucial facet of the modern game. He is despite being a Boca player one of my favourite players but we have to move on and pass the torch onto Pastore a more than admirable replacement and see how the younger ones like Canteros and Lamela mature.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree; however I if Pastore would rather be Aimar than Roman. Zidane was giving praise to him a couple weeks ago(Or was it a week? lol) and was in the stands to watch PSG play where Pastore scored a quality goal. Platini even said Pastore reminds him of Zidane. I liked the move to Ligue 1, I believe it was a move where he would help to grow.

Lamela, I like a lot, and I know he is full of talent. At the same age he is slightly better than Pastore. Yeah Pastore was sensational for Huracán but I think Lamela will be even better when he is 22-23. I hope he finds himself at Roma and continues to better himself. Glad that Nico and Gringo are there, I believe they will look after him. Plus the Roma legend Totti is there, so it's a good home for him.

For Canteros, still early to say, Gaucho was impressed by him when they came over for a 0-0 tie. Glad he is still back home and has not made to Europe yet.

All of these players are very good but Riquelme is once in a generation type of player. I hope we get to see a prototype of him in the future.

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Canteros should and WILL take over for Mascherano when he moves to the back line where he belongs.

22. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This quote by Ray Hudson excellently summarizes Riquelme.

"Here, in the modern game, there are things that are overly scrutinized, and to very little effect. You can track what Riquelme does, the patterns he runs, and how many miles he's covered. You can look at that and say that he's playing like a donkey, but he's the greatest player in the world."

Don't get me wrong, I love Riquelme (despite walking away from the NT twice, but that's for another time) but I don't want him back on the team. He simply cannot play as many games as he used to. I'll never forget him playing out of his skin for Boca back in 2007 and him getting back into the NT. He was not only our star, but THE star of the 2007 Copa America.

It's truly sad that Riquelme has only played at one World Cup. Really, really sad. Bielsa ignored him in 2002 and we all know about 2010.

Ironically enough, I became a Barcelona fan (and have been since) because of Riquelme. My parents used to have a satellite dish and we used to get some South American channels (along with Europe and I think some random Asian channels) and that's how I got introduced to him. Some channel was airing a repeat of the Boca/River match (the match where Riquelme cano'd the hell out of Yepes) and as a kid, I was just "wow".

So I saw #10 and asked an Argentine friend of mine (his older brother) what his name was. All I knew was that Boca was an Argentine team (I was already an Argentine fan at the time) so I hoped he would know Riquelme. He told me something like "I think that's Roman/Riquelme. He's with Barcelona now". One day, some Barcelona match was on and I saw him. I literally remember yelling "It's him!". He left and I remained a Barcelona fan.

23. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Roman lets the ball do the work , he see's the entire pitch, anticipates team-mates runs, can dictate a midfield. I say lets use him for a bit, let Pastore learn from this guy, perhaps then this team may get some identity in the meantime. To say it is time to move on might be the right sentiment, but we have moved on and in that time slipped from number in the rankings to number ten, and being nervous playing team like Venezeula.

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    pastore is only going to learn by playing on the pitch in live games. his growth on the NT has been stunted for over a year now.

it's very sad. clearly there is something not working on the training grounds....

25. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Do coaches really rate players based on a couple of skirmishes and mini-games during a training session ? Just based on Pastore's season so far I would start him every game...heck he can even skip practise.