RIP Chico

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Barbara, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    I wasn't fortunate enough to know him outside of BigSoccer but I really enjoyed his posts in this forum (I guess it didn't hurt that I agreed with him 9 times out of 10). He was a good poster and brought a lot of passion to the P&CE boards. I had some interactions with him in the Movies, TV & Music forum also and let me tell you, the guy had exquisite taste in music. He will be sorely missed.

Damn, this is depressing.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They kept playing but Tony & Harksie pretty much stopped talking about the game and just talked about Chico.

I can't imagine how amazing it must have been in the stadium, but I know that I went through several kleenex in just a few minutes sitting in my living room watching on the teevee.

Basically I spent all day yesterday trying not to get caught crying at work and if I don't want to spend today that way, I should stay out of these threads.

Edit: it's not apparent in that video, but they had a whole section of seats in the Barra section roped off and empty. And because it was close to the field, the empty section got a lot of camera time. I eventually just stopped watching the game.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wearing my Bolivia jersey at work today has prompted questions about why. So there's folks at UIdaho who've learned a bit about CHICO13 today.

1 person likes this.
  5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chico was one of the most fantastic human beings I've ever had the pleasure to call a friend.

I'll never forget going to a DC United game circa 1998 or so, and walking around the Barra Brava tailgate area with my wife. This was back when BB was mostly all Hispanic, and there were very few gringos in the group.

He walked up to us and asked us our names, and asked us if we wanted to have some food and some beer.

Even though there's a hole in there right now, his memory will be in my heart forever.

Love this picture of him, me and another good friend enjoying victory cigars in the parking lot at the Home Depot Center after MLS Cup 2004

[​IMG]

RIP Chico. I love you, Hermano

2 people repped this.
  6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    yes, we taped off section 135, the original Barra section for those of u that don't follow United, and left it empty in his honor. i've worked with Chico in the barra for over 12 years and now it just isn't as fun.

1 person likes this.
  7. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a really good day, wasn't it?

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Chico's caption on Mike's facebook when he posted the photo:

"Sweetest victory cigar EVER!!"

I've been crying on and off all day yesterday and today. Jan and I couldn't go to the game last night - had prior commitments to meet my mother-in-law's husband for dinner - but we'll be there on Sunday. Hopefully I'll get some closure from that. Jan's got her own health issues, and every single time Chico saw her he asked he how she was, even though his heart condition was pretty bad himself. He was the kind of guy who thought of his friends and family way before he thought of himself - the very definition of selflessness.

I've already got myself a field pass so I can take pictures again. Posted at least 20 today on FB from my old DC albums. I have a feeling I'm going to end up taking at least a thousand shots on Sunday.

9. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only imagine.

The weird thing is that I didn't realize how fond I was of him until Tuesday night. I haven't gone to games at RFK in something like 7 years so all of my contact with him has been on BigSoccer and Facebook since I moved away.

He was part of the furniture of this place, both in the DCU forum and here and I guess I took it for granted that he always would be. People as full of life as Chico aren't supposed to die. Not at 53. Not out of the blue like that.

I realized that I'd been really looking forward to him coming out this way with the Barra for an away game. And now that's not happening and I'm pretty bitter.

And then I think about his mom and his brother and his close friends and my heart breaks for them because my sadness can't even begin to touch what they're going through.

Dammit. It's a good thing I don't wear eye makeup to work.

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found out that his brother and possibly his mother are going to be at the game on Sunday.

I know everyone already knows this, but tell your friends, all of them, that you love them today. Cause you never know what might happen tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  11. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    R.I.P. Chico, always enjoyed your posts...

12. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been terribly distant from Bigsoccer lately and just found out tonight that Chico passed away. If it wasn't for bigredfootball, I probably wouldn't have found out until next week.

Godspeed, Brother. I loved your posts. And I feel blessed that my life was graced with your presence. I regret never making it back to DC so we could talk politics, soccer, and Michigan football one last time in person.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That is a beautiful pic and wonderful sentiment. Thanks for sharing. R.I.P.

14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Chico....

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really nice of them to mention Chico during the game broadcast today, just before that I'd been telling my wife and kid about this very cool BigSoccer poster and bigtime DC fan who'd died so suddenly. I always enjoyed his presence here and sounds like he was a fantastic person in general, very sad to see him go. Few days ago I was getting caught up on all my subscribed threads and kept coming across posts he'd made just a few days previous, gave me a little twinge every time....

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The minute of silence during the game, and the banner for Chico, and the mention on the broadcast, all brought a tear to my eye. I'm sorry I never got to meet him in person. His absence will certainly be felt in this forum. My heartfelt condolences to those of you who knew him in person and are really missing him.

1 person likes this.
  17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't bring my camera due to the rainstorm.

The 12th minute silence really tore me up. Man do I miss that guy.

:(

18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really surprised by the ESPN announcers - Honestly, the whole thing surprised me because I guess I didn't realize the SGs were going to do that again. So I got a little weepy.

How much would he have loved yesterday's result?

(Sorry, Demo.)

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Very nice funeral service this morning. Lots and lots of people there, including DCU folks Kevin Payne, Dave Kasper, Ben Olsen, Jaime Moreno (who was a good friend of Chico's). Kind of educational for me, too - I had never been to a Catholic mass as an adult.

Miss you, amigo.

1 person likes this.
  20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a beautiful service. It was weird seeing people all dressed up and not wearing DC United gear. The gathering at Kilroy's afterwards was very nice too.

I miss you, Hermano.

21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something that I felt like posting in this thread, for anyone who liked Chico on BS or anyone who cares about such things . . .

One of his oldest friends, a friend going back to his teen years, spoke at the service and ended his words with an interesting thought which I will paraphrase because my memory isn't perfect:

"Over the last week, people have honored him in many ways. Not just by many people coming to this service; but comments online, special posts in sports blogs, mentions in newspaper articles and on national broadcasts of major sports events. What did he do to get such attention, to earn such commemoration? Did he split the atom? Did he cure cancer? No. He was simply someone who went out of his way to respect other people, to treat them fairly and with kindness and generosity.

"Couldn't we all do that?"

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That is so true.....

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope a lot of you will be able to come to the Elks Lodge on Saturday for the "celebration of life."

Then off to RFK to see DCU beat up on the Dynamo

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, thanks.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be able to earn such a comment, that is what I call a successful life.

Red&Black repped this.