Rice-Eccles Stadium

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Apr 16, 2005.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

People were wondering about the football lines, it looks like they've been painted over in this picture. Not perfect, but it's alright. Reminds me of RFK.

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah...it's not the best, but oh well. I guess it'll do.

It sucks, because I hate their team, but LOVE their owner. Checketts will have that team out of Rice-Eccles and into an SSS in 2 seasons. Bet on it.

3. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Is the grass real or fake?... If it's real grass I don't mind the American FB lines. :)

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It's Pamela Anderson grass. It's fake.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Actually, the infill on these type of surfaces is only 50% silicon (sand), with the rest being of shredded rubber. Pam's infill is 100% silicon. :D

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Pamela Anderson looks better than sand does. :)

7. Napoli_Ultra

Napoli_Ultra Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Lorton VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The crowd looks good on TV.
    The TV camera can't pick up action on the near side touchline. When they showed a throw in on that side, there isn't much space between the touchline and the wall. I wonder how wide it is for soccer.

8. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the radio said the field was 110 X 72

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    When I toured there before the Olympics, they made a point of mentioning that they could get a good-sized field in there.

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Crowd looks great.

That field sucks. Really sucks. Southlake-like.

Here's hoping Real can score. Nothing worse than getting shutout at franchise opener with big crowd.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    That field is 200 times better than Southlake and 150 times better than Naperville.

12. GuinnessFC

GuinnessFC New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    NWI
    Definitely agree

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    All in all I actually thought it looked pretty good. The field is funky, to be sure. But the downsizing actually looked quite nice. The place seemed to have a very good atmosphere.

14. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    I thought I saw the top of the 18 yard box at the 10 yard line. Wouldn't that make it 116 yards long?

15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a playing point of view its Southlake-like.

But from an aethetics standpoint, nothing can match the purple endzones and flourescent white football lines of Dragon Stadium for sheer hideousness.

[​IMG]

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that Rice Eccles looked great.
    The American Football lines were painted over. The field looked a nice bright green. I liked the use of the banners with the RSL and team sponors over the empty seats.
    And a great crowd of 25,000 plus.
    Wonderful job Mr. Checketts.

17. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    That was definitely a nice touch.

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The playing pitch. Not the fans, environs.

That turf was very close to watching a Southlake game. Weird bounces...did you see the pace it was played at (how players ran?). Several shots miscued because of the turf. Certainly affected the game, its flow....everything...

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is there any bounce? ;) :D

20. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think it was longer (maybe close to 120?) because the goals appeared to be set almost at the back of the "end zones"...

21. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Definately agree about Southlake, and Naperville too, at least from a "presentation" standpoint of the field.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I know. I saw her in a club once. :p

Ah, people one gets to see when he moves out of Whitefish Bay.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They should have gotten a brand new top layer for the soccer games, at least for the summer. With the base installation already in place, one could probably change the "fake grass" within a day or so. That FieldTurf is intentionally made to be a little harder than the natural grass due to the football people preference. (it's easier to plant a foot and cut on a harder surface).

Actually, Checketts should have also doubled the padding underneath the top level. It's normally 2". With another 2" layer, the bounces would have been far more normal. The entire investment would have cost $200-300K.

24. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    You really think that Checketts should have spent that money on a field that's not even his?

In addition to rent?

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not the field per se, just the top layer, the carpet itself. The entire installation is a couple of feet deep, as I recall, but the top layers are replaceable. That way, he'd get rid of the football markings and be able to paint RSL's own, etc.

And yes. It's not a major investment (the NextTurf-AstroField-Omnigrass-RealGrass fields run $1 to $1.5M but the carpet itself is only a portion of that), although I suppose he should have tried talking the stadium people into paying for it. Still, I bet they took it as it was.