Revs v SJ - 10 Mar 2012 "LET THE GAMES BEGIN"

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Interesting. The addition of White really helps with the loss of Sene for this game. I think putting him up top with Cardenas allows White and Rowe to interchange and Benny and Cardenas to move in and out of the left hand side.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that an it gets Brettschnieder off the field, who I think is pretty stiff

3. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think White will be available for this game, he is supposed to join the team next week.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure that the Quakes have the players to shut down the Revs right wing.

Either Dawkins or Salinas will start at LM and they are both below-average defensively in my opinion. Corrales at LB is 35 years old and slow... average at best defensively and below-average when he decides to make runs forward b/c he doesn't have the speed to get back. Morrow at LCB is 5'9 and fast but he is a natural left back and has never played CB before aside from a couple preseason games... so he is below-average as well.

Kelyn Rowe is going to tear them all apart. As a UCLA soccer fan I am really looking forward to watching Rowe in MLS this season, except for tomorrow night. ;)

Exactly.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? what is the hold up? Oh I know, its the Revs. Why bother having all your players signed and available for the first game

6. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the press release on the Revs site:

"He will be formally added to the team’s roster upon receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and is expected to join the team for training next week."

7. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To my eyes, it was more a case of isolated single good passes than sustained possession in the final third (admittedly didn't watch every minute of every game). In fact, I'm scratching my head as to whether they had any sustained possession in the final third vs. L.A. in the Diamond Cup final.

Simms has always made terrible decisions with the ball, always will. Token pressure is enough to unravel him. Same plan has worked for the Revs against him in the past. Got nothing to do with SJ's quality in this case, so much as Simms' lack of it.

I like him a lot better than you. His marking needs work, but he's dynamite at cleaning up a mess. Made huge strides before his injury in 2010. Yallop was deploying him almost like a sweeper.

My only hope for Simms is he keeps track of where Soares is at all times for a safe back pass. Otherwise all SJ needs to do is shut down his passing lane to Shalrie and enjoy the gifts Simms bestows upon them.

Fair point about how narrow the field is. Probably increases the number of hard tackles Rowe is going to receive.

That last sentence is good reason to suspect quickness will not turn into effective high pressure. Personally I wasn't impressed by Cardenas. Seemed to be a freelancer. I'm not sure he's going to bother to chase a lot. No idea if Nguyen will play let alone what he'll deliver against MLS competition.

One thing that jumps out at me with your list is they better be excellent (not just good) at the possession and high pressure, because those are some tiny, tiny players.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Excellent points. I guess we will have to disagree fundamentally on Simms and Opara. That is where this whole argument stems.

This offseason is finally over, now us "pundits" can finally sit back actually watch some games...then rip the Revs to shreds after :D

9. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm definitely ready for some games. Fun to actually be talking about soccer and not roster decisions.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Unfortunately with the Revs we are always talking about roster decisions because this team never uses all of its resources.

11. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season opener 2012, so excited. Come on 10:30...

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if our defense and strikers are suspect, we have midfield this year that will boss the game. I think our midfield will automatically win us more games than last year. Excited.

14. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.....What you guys are saying is this should be a fun game;)

15. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally we get some on field product, late game blows, but finally we can wash the taste of last season out of our mouths (or get a whole new flavor of awful....)

REVOLUTION!

16. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless McCarthy or Nguyen is thrust into the lineup this is our only choice for an XI against San Jose:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Cardenas, Brettschneider, Feilhaber, Joseph, Simms, Rowe, Barnes, Soares, Lozano, Alston, Reis[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Bench: Shuttleworth, Fagundez, Guy, Nguyen, McCarthy, Polak, Purdie

Compared with our lineup at last years first kick:
    [LINEUP-4-5-1]Schilawski, Perovic, Boggs, McCarthy, Joseph, Phelan, Tierney, Soares, Coria, Barnes, Reis[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

And our lineup in the final game of 2011:
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Caraglio, Lekic, Zerka, Joseph, Feilhaber, Guy, Tierney, Coria, Barnes, Alston, Shuttleworth[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Which do you prefer?

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win, Lose or Draw--I'm a Rev Fan---Period

GO REVS

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Me too, Doc. Me too.

19. AlexRevs

AlexRevs New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Can't wait to see the starting XI - tough that Sene is out. So I guess the goals will need to come through the midfield = I am thinking positively and going for a 2-1 Revs win - with goals from Joseph and Rowe. Either way MLS is back and once more GO REVS!

20. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the gnashing of teeth has ended.....in the immortal words of Mills Lane...."let's get it on"!!!!!!!! GO REVS!!!!!!!!"!:D:D:D

21. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs lineup: Reis - Soares, Lozano, McCarthy, Alston - Feilhaber, Joseph, Simms, Rowe - Brettschneider, Cardenas; Bench: Shuttleworth, Polak, Roach, Guy, Fagundez, Nguyen, Purdie

22. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soares at right back and Alston at left back? Yikes.

23. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If i read that right Soares is playing LB?

24. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I hate that there is no pre game show on TV

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reverse that. Interesting none the less.

So how many people are at home watching this on their computer/tv and not at a bar? :(