Revs v SJ - 10 Mar 2012 "LET THE GAMES BEGIN"

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Yikes!

For a second, I thought you were quoting Mr. Marshall's slight as fact!

2. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soares didnt look very hurt sprinting around the pitch the rest of the game.

I love soares, he is one of our bright spots, I just do not want to see his game degenerate into that.

3. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Causey was like listening to paint dry.... with a lisp

4. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He was clearly not moving anywhere near 100% after that. He very obviously looked hurt for the rest of the game.

5. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I was watching a different guy, but I didnt see much.

I distinctively remember being surprised how much sprinting he was doing after the injury.

Anyway hopefully it was as harmless as it looked, and if it wasn't what the hell was Heaps doing leaving his ass in there?

6. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and as far as Reis goes, STAY IN YOUR GODDAMN GOAL. Just because you are the legendary Matt Reis does NOT qualify you to take on two attacking forwards with your feet, it just doesn't.

7. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What are you talking about?

8. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive said it before watching Reis, he almost reminds me of Tim Thomas as far as his aggressive style goes. He makes a lot of smart good plays when he comes out of his goal to pressure an attacker, in fact he often forces a turnover of somekind. Goals like the one let in there, are the unfortunate dark side of that style of play.

Unless im just misremembering, he looked VEEEEERY far forward to me. If im wrong (which I often am) disregard.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Honestly, you literally have no idea what you are talking about. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Reis did there. Any goalie from U-14 up to Iker Casillas would have and should have come out on that play.

In fact, any goalie who would have sat on his line on that play, should never play in net ever again.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I completely agree. Reis wasn't even close to at fault for the goal, he was hung out to dry and had no option but to come out and try and close down Wondo.

I take issue with Reis' distribution skills. For a good portion of the game it seemed like he was just bombing punts and throws up field to Bretschneider when the majority of the team was still struggling to get up field. Possession starts from the back and I think Reis' lack of proper distribution hurt our ability to possess the ball.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the game? He was the first player subbed out. Polak played 30 minutes in his place.

12. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nguyen is the kind of player who is going to look good when you first see him. He has good speed, great foot skills, and seems to get the ball into attacking position effectively. Until he shows me he can do something when he gets there, he's a lot closer to Welton, Johnny Torres or Evans Wise than Landon Donovan.

13. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent. I'll take the 1998 Welton please (which is to say the one who wasn't horribly misused by Big Frank).

14. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soares is questionable for the next match with a knee sprain.

Faker.

:rolleyes:

15. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt think of that, to be fair, after the first half I was half in the bag ;-)

I forgot why the Rev's upped my alcohol consumption 300%

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, Mike, there has got to be a good story behind this... I don't know what you might have said, but knowing you, I'm sure it was a reasonable critique that the guy took way, way too personally.

You can't just gloss over this, unless you really are just an inbred, mouth-breathing, idiot :D

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    When was Mike ever a Fire fan?

18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What KO said. And Reis probably was hoping Lozano would at least stick with one of the two attackers on that play.

19. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was way back when I was at DePaul, Jim Kozimor was the host of the midday show on the local sports station in Chicago. If I remember correctly, it was back when MLB was toying with the idea of using replacement players, and being the conservative with libertarian leanings that I am, I called with a reasoned defense of the owners' position.

That was Kozimor's response.

Hey, now. Them's fightin' words.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I have no problems with Lozano either. It's an impossible situation for the defender. Along the back line, McCarthy was most at fault. After he saw Shalrie give the ball away, he gave a half-hearted effort to recover and watched Wondo streak past him.

21. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ideally Lozano would have stayed with Salinas to take away the possibility of the return pass, allowing Reis to focus solely on Wondo. I know there's no way Lozano can stop the entry pass and that this sort of attack is on you in an instant, but he was flat footed while both guys streaked past him.

I don't think there was any way they'd have stopped this particular goal, but there will be other 2v1 situations in the future and the defender's got to clamp down on one of the attackers. If Wondo had been coming from a wider position, or if Salinas had played him wider, Reis might have been able to shut off that angle. Won't matter if the return pass/chip is wide open.

22. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Good points.

If McCarthy had recovered to a defensive cover position as soon as the ball was lost, there was a chance the play could have been disrupted. He was very slow to react. When the ball was lost, he had 10 yards on Wondo, by the time he reacted, Wondo had closed the gap to a yard or so and was 2-3 yards goal side of him. His only real reaction was to point at Lozano to tell him to cover, then to raise his hand for an off-side call.

23. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed. Wondo saw the interception coming instantly and reacted while McCarthy turned into a spectator.

24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yup, and that is why he has been a golden boot contender for a few years...and we started and played Brettschneider for 90 minutes lol