Post-match: Revs v Athuglante (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    STH can buy tickets for the Final on line, and if they order by 5 p.m. today, they get normal prices. If you wait to get tickets at the door, you will pay a bit more.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    [​IMG]

In particular, United and Fire supporters, but I digress...

3. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FMF teams- line up up, we'll knock down.

what a bunch of classless wankers. Frankly, I think they should be banned from the tournement next year (if they qualify).

what a garbage team and a bunch of garbage human beings.

In general, I have lost a ton of respect for the FMF after this tournament. This was extra appauling though.

4. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Err...that's a dangerous topic to go to.

I won't argue with the fact that Mansally, Nyassi, Dube and Shalrie got a lot of unnecessarily hard fouls, but I don't want to say it was intentional because of the color of their skin.

Shalrie was a target for sure though, they knew he was a catalyst for us and did anything and everything they could to get him out of the game.

5. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For those of us who follow the Revs, the concept of the Krafts spending money to pay off a ref is incredibly laughable on so many levels.

Did anyone really think the keeper was going to say "We got beat by a better team even though their leading scorer and best central defender were not playing. Congratulations to them." ?

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone found a video online of the post match activities? The official highlights stop right when the fun starts!:D

There's talk of Heaps' red being overturned....I'm curious even more now to see it for myself as the view from the Fort wasn't the best~!

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think one of the big reasons the match ended up the way it did was because the "yellow card slate" was wiped clean after the group round - so, no one needed to worry about getting a yellow.
    I agree. And, several of the late "rough" fouls, were attempts to shoulder charge while shielding the ball (although too far from the ball). The Atlante players got frustrated because they didn't get those calls AND got carded for them. There were some weak cards for the Revs also (Mansally's, Igwe's).

Regardless, I thought it was rough, but not terribly dirty play (until after the final whistle). The officiating/security crews were terribly unprepared for the aftermath. There's no excuse for not having enough people on the field to separate the teams when necessary.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly didn't see security out there for the first minute or so. I thought they reacted terribly slow to what was going on. We were even yellling at the guard in front of us about that.
    What did you expect honestly? As mentioned, it'll probably be worse Tuesday, unless we do a good job of bringing friends.
    It wasn't all Mexicans. It was a Mexican team.
    Now we just have to beat the defending MLS Cup champs...
    Only a rare few are so lucky! ;)
    I mentioned this last night. But even taking that away, we're just not scoring goals as a team right now. Just enough to win works, but I think Houston's going to get one at least on us, so we need to find the net!
    No surprise there really.
    Yep ... and the sad part is security should have seen this coming. I know they meet prior to games, didn't anyone of them (or their supervisors) watch the end of the Houston match? Mexican teams don't like losing to American ones. This is a shock to people?
    What I saw on the replay at 1:20 in the morning was that when the camera got to the incident, the ref was already holding up the red fo Heaps, so I didn't see what started it.
    Seriously! And a coach was in there helping cause this commotion apparently. Pathetic.

Good win for the boys. 3-0-1 in this tournament. Let's make it 4, and bring home our second Cup (but the first of this year!).

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I basically agree. But MLS and American players are not worse, nor better for this. Mexican team and players are almost always better technically, American players are almost always more athletic and more powerful. That is just the way it is. It is not like the Mexicans are better because they play a different style. Nor are they worse.

10. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree totally on Bermudez. He was surprisingly strong on the ball, both fast and quick, and distributed well. On top of his size (5'3" is when he's wearing his elevator shoes), he sort of looks like Frodo a bit.

11. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a Tuesday night?

13. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    With season ticket holders having to BUY a ticket?

If I had been the Revs FO as soon as the Revs finished with the most points from the group stage (guaranteeing that if they won their semi they would host the final) I would have mailed out a special coupon ''F' to all season ticket holders as a 'special bonus' just to bring the crowd in. Failing in that I would have gone to free admission just to bring the fans in for the final but what do I know.

14. virtute

virtute New Member

May 20, 2007
    N. California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressions while rewatching this game:

1. "The Hobbit" on Atlante is really, really good
    2. They are even dirtier than I thought from watching it in person. What a bunch of whiny punks.

16. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    I agree. And, several of the late "rough" fouls, were attempts to shoulder charge while shielding the ball (although too far from the ball). The Atlante players got frustrated because they didn't get those calls AND got carded for them. There were some weak cards for the Revs also (Mansally's, Igwe's).

Regardless, I thought it was rough, but not terribly dirty play (until after the final whistle). The officiating/security crews were terribly unprepared for the aftermath. There's no excuse for not having enough people on the field to separate the teams when necessary.[/quote]

The foul on Josephs was worthy of a straight red. The fouls that occurred in the corner of the attacking third on Christman and I forgot who else were classic examples of blading.

Shoulder to shoulder charging is one thing but that was certainly a nasty foul along the touchline.

Perhaps the security crews were unprepared...for what happened. They were prepared, however, to watch a couple of professional teams shake hands and exchange jerseys.

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    He should have been kicked out for the butt ugly jersey alone; looks like something his mother made from fabric found in the 2 peso bin.

18. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree with both points. Although, I thought that they played a relatively clean, physical game (OK, a bit more diving that I'd like to have seen) until the first player was sent off. After the whack to the 'nads, their play went steadily downhill. This was just plain juvenile behavior (reminded me of a kid on my U-8 team long ago, who when dispossessed of the ball chased the kid down and punched him).

On security, I believe they're like trainers -- not to come on the field unless summoned on by the referee. I didn't see anyone waiting to be summoned on, but I was mostly watching the melee and hoping none of our guys retaliated and missed Tuesday.

19. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free Coupon F -- would have been .... Brilliant!

FYI -- There was/is some talk of emailing "a parking pass" to those STH'ers who purchase tickets to the final.

20. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want to know who the genius was who scheduled these games for weeknights.

21. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His shirt looked like Steve from Blue's Clues

22. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, did anyone catch the multiple objects being thrown onto the field on the opposite side from the fort? I saw at least 4-5 beer cups being thrown. Security (of course) did nothing.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexican TV. The alternative would be to hold open a few weekend dates for the semi and final, on the chance that we might make it. And the league games that normally would be played on the weekend would get moved to another weeknight.

Not a lot we can do about it when there are more games in a season than weekends. As the great 20th century philosophers Beavis and Butthead once said, "Dude. I really hate numbers." "Yeah, like, there are too many of them."

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think our being in this final takes away any chance of hosting the USOC Final, if we beat DC?

I think this potential crowd of around 5-7k will be a turnoff to the Krafts/Revs FO.

25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Ahh - good info Alan re: the parking pass. I asked this question in the $5 fee thread.

If anyone gets info(myself included) lets get it updated