Post-match: Revs v Athuglante (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SirFozzie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Foxhound6

Foxhound6 New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    The North End
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just to add my two cents about the game, Atlante were a disgrace. Behaving like that when they knew that cards would mean nothing to them is the worst kind of sportsmanship I've ever seen in any game anywhere. At least Ron Artest got hit with a beer before he went into the stands, they were playing with the intent to injure Revs players and behaved like a group of babies who lost their pacifiers. I hope we get them in the CCL so we can show them what's up yet again.

2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, did anyone see Nicol "demonstrate" to the 4th official (Geiger) the dangerous play/high boot that he saw in the box committed by an Atlante player? I thought he was going to kick Mr. Geiger in the chops for a second or two...

3. futbolloco

futbolloco Member

Apr 8, 2006
    fremont
    The gap is closed, Mexican teams releid on their foreign stars as mls teams, the argies don't like to lose, Marioni looked like a mad man so was the goalie total lack of discipline.

4. GodofJebus

GodofJebus New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    L.A

If the US national team beats the mexican national team in the Azteca then id be impressed

5. GodofJebus

GodofJebus New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    L.A
    chivas doesnt rely on their foreign players because they dont have any and they were playing the best soccer in the whole tournament

6. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlante's post-game behavior was disgraceful. The Revs had managed to keep their heads til then and I was hoping they wouldn't get baited into cards. I'm still not sure why Heaps got red. If he was running his mouth, wouldn't he get yellow? I didn't see him throw a punch or anything. I thought Albright might after he got poked/punched in the eye by the Atlante staff member/coach but some staff members managed to keep him far enough away.

If Heaps did something warranting that red (meaning it doesn't get overturned or whatever), I'm really worried about our back line for Tuesday. :eek:

7. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. We don't need Twellman's 92 goals in 151 career games. We've got Dube, Mansally. You know - the guys who have scored 6 goals in 28 total games. :eek: :D

8. Shadow10

Shadow10 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    He has has maybe one or two games below his standard but who would you rather have? Conrad? I know Reis prefers Parkhurst.

9. ParkyFan15

ParkyFan15 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't think it was mentioned, (sorry if it was) but before Atlante's goalie took that last kick next to the Rev's bench, while he backed up it looked like he slapped Warren in the face. Did anyone else see this happen?

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yes, that's the one little scrap of wood you're grasping to keep your delusions of National Team superiority afloat. Right now only fools would bet on the US to win there in that one specific stadium, or for Mexico to win ANYWHERE in the USA. Call that even if you think it is but it sure isn't superiority.

My main comment on the post match scrum (that cost NE a key player for the big-money final btw) was that it should have been anticipated and avoided with overwhelming security and LEO presence after what happened in Houston last night. 'Burn me once shame on you (poor sports regardless of home Country), burn me twice shame on me.'

Lastly, congratulations and good luck in the (all MLS) Super League (no need for the Spanish "Liga" now) Final. Any chance FSC can buy the broadcast rights now that Telefutura can expect a dismal audience share? ;>)

11. Shadow10

Shadow10 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    FYP
    p.s The World Cup knock out round not good enough for you???

12. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Yep, very very clearly. Nonesense, these are supposed to be adults that kids look up to. If I was a Atlante/Mexican fan that brought little kids to the game (like my friend that came with us who brought his younger siblings :rolleyes:). I'd tell them that is not the way to represent your country and your culture on foreign soil

Embarrassing. Should be wonderful if/when these teams play in the CCL.

13. virtute

virtute New Member

May 20, 2007
    N. California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a video of the fight. The recorder was scheduled to stopped at the end of the hour so it didn't record the Vilar interview though which went pass it.

http://www.adrive.com/public/5593a000de04b6dab9034cc992fd9283552442bb514940d02b077bb346159f34.html

14. Foxhound6

Foxhound6 New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    The North End
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. virtute

virtute New Member

May 20, 2007
    N. California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. Too bad it didn't get the rest of it but you can clearly see Vilar bump Heaps to the ground and then slaps/sucker punch him in the face after he gets up. An Atlante staff pokes Albright in the face from behind. That's about as much as I wanna see anyway.

16. arak0r

arak0r Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Wareham, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    all in all a nice win, against a very dirty team it seems. that was utterly disgraceful and we still get out pretty healthy and with a win

then of course i go out to the car and find out my ********ing grill was stolen :mad::mad::mad:

17. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was so bizarre is that the game was relatively clean until late with the exception of the repeated assaults on Joseph. Literally, he had a good claim for two penalties well before the handball (although I know they never give those). They had NO answer for him and had resigned themselves to just fouling him. I don't get why they would react that way when NE hit the bar and clearly should have scored on two more occasions. It was not as if Atlante was robbed. They were lucky to be only a goal down and to actually have a chance.

It is too bad Heaps got red-carded. I do wish these guys would sometimes focus on the big picture and just walk away no matter what. At the same time, I would love to see if the keeper would take a swing at Albright out on the street with nobody to break it up. I doubt it. Totally reminded me of the Mexico v. USA game in Korea. Once they knew they had lost they just lost it.

With that said, before the fight a few players did exchange handshakes away from the fracas.

19. virtute

virtute New Member

May 20, 2007
    N. California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    try again.. i clicked on it and it worked.. must be a hiccup.

20. wheels

wheels Member

Jul 22, 2001
    GoalScorer'sCorner, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was speaking w/friends with seats near the bench after the game and they said Doug definitely got hit. They weren't sure if Doug said something to him first though.

21. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? That is just one part of the game. If you can't do it under pressure and you can't maintain your composure, you might as well play pick up in a park. Cup ties are never about who is more fashionable or skillful, it is about desire and competition--which is what makes them great. No doubt that there are weak spots technically on MLS teams but I will tell you Joseph was the BEST player on the field by a mile.

New England created far more chances and dominated. They were better. Saying you play better football doesn't mean ****.

22. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS keepers are quite good. On average, just as good as FMF. Heck, Campos lost his starting job to Zach Thornton, of all people. Calero is good as well. He'd be fun to watch in MLS.

As for Ochoa going to Everton, that would be an interesting move for him. He'd get to back up Howard for a while and learn the ins and outs of playing in the Premier League. A couple seasons and he'd be ready to challenge him. Right now, he's way behind Howard in terms of experience and athleticism. By FMF standards, however, he is pretty good.

23. Anglokick

Anglokick New Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Thank you to those who translated the post-game comments earlier in this thread. By the way, this (well-moderated) discussion has been blogged.

24. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Just watched the replay in Spanish on Telefutura and I have to say that no one on the Revs acted out of line. They were getting hacked by a deserperatly pathetic Atlante team and eventually it reached a point of no return where Altante crossed the line. There really aren't two ways about it.

25. revssoccer

revssoccer New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It kind of reminded me of a couple years ago when we knocked Chicago out of the playoffs and they did the same thing.