News: Revs trade for the #1 pick in the draft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 16, 2013.

1. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So very delightfully unexpected! Let's go Revs!

2. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if a small detail of this trade is the free publicity the Revs get. The first pick is being televised live on ESPN SportsCenter. Even if not a conscious reason, it's a nice to have for sure!

3. Topher22

Topher22 Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Barnes /Farrell/ McCarthy / Goncalves

seems the best bet to me.

I think Alston isn't MLS quality, but Barnes still has a streak of hope.

RevsRule repped this.
  4. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank the good pope in Rome!!!!.....but if they don't go defense, I give up!!!

5. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems actually like a pretty good deal for the Revs -- pick one for pick four, plus some allocation money? Some other scenarios tossed around here had us giving up established players, or multiple draft picks.

Could Toronto have got more, in other words?

6. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Hard to say without knowing how much allocation money was involved, but Toronto has the #3 pick and #2 has already declared who they want(which no one else would have taken in the top 5). Essentially, Toronto only dropped 1 spot. I'd guess $100,000-$150,000 or so was involved.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's as good as everyone says he is they will get the money back when they sell him overseas the year before his contract runs out ;)

MM66 repped this.
  8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be shocked if it was that much.

9. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Toronto wanted one of Zimmerman and Farrell, but not both, then they didn't give up anything at all. It went from this:

(1) Toronto, Zimmerman or Farrell, (2) Chivas, Alvarez (3) Toronto, Bekker (or whomever they want)

to this:

(1) Revs, Farrell or Zimmerman, (2) Chivas, Alvarez (3) Toronto, Bekker (4) Toronto, Zimmerman or Farrell.

Either way, Toronto gets Beker (or whomever they wanted) and one of Zimmerman or Farrell. But now they also have some cash. So they got something for nothing.

But it still looks like Win/Win -- if the Revs think one player is clearly best for them (Farrell, according to the pundits), then they bought the right to him with some cash.

10. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alston is an automatic starter when healthy

It will be interesting to see if we go for a forward as others have speculated. Also, it appears that none of the top rated forwards have done much at the combine. These two things trouble me. If these college players cant distinguish themselves against other college players, what will they do against MLS defenders? Quite the dilemma. We need a top forward, have the number 1 pick, and maybe, just maybe... there is no real help there

Also, who ever we pick.... if hes a bust..... what does that say about the people that select him? Lotta pressure to succeed when you trade for the #1

11. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just about passed out seeing this news on MLS's site. Never expected our Revs to do such a big move like this. Excited for Farrell indeed.

12. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else here totally shocked and its about time!

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call it a gut feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Revs have another fairly significant move in them tomorrow. They've got three 2nd round picks, two first round picks next year, and should still have some allocation money to throw around.

If someone like Zavaleta or Finley or even Jason Johnson starts to slide a little bit...

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trading Places
    By Brian O'Connell– January 16, 2013
    nesoccertoday.com

15. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    How will everyone be following the draft? Live stream, twitter, live chat, all of the above?

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Although I will disagree with you on the specific players, I have to think they may be interested in moving up with a few of those second round picks.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its gotta be Farrell, thats a good move for you guys. Thats an immediate contributor right there. TFC really, really does not value the draft. it never has. way to take advantage of them there.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had crow for breakfast after talking smack about the Revs not being creative.
    Farrell, Gonsalves, Soares, Alston....I like this alot.
    One thing that has me wondering though. If the Revs are looking to trade Toja and Benny is already gone, could they be looking at drafting Alvarez at #1? Keep Toja, draft Alvarez and trade him for Kennedy? To me that would be a sneaky underhanded move on the Revs part which I would fully applaud them for!

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think Toronto has played this exceptionally well. Wth #3 and 4 hey can get two players they can use and money to buy a third. They didn't lose anything in trading #1 for #4

Crooked repped this.
  20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pretty much lines up with interest money earned on Dempdey's cash windfall. From a business standpoint, it's sound. From an emotional fan standpoint it's pretty **********rdly.

Edit: I can't believe the censor wiped out **********rdly. It's a real word!

21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    and grammatically incorrect in context

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Completely agree. They really didn't need another young defender given they already have Agbossoumonde, O'Dea, and Henry. By making this trade (and possibly another trade with Colorado) they should be able to draft Kyle Bekker, one of the forward prospects, all while adding a substantial bit of allocation money. Great moves from Payne in Toronto if you ask me.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely with this.
    What can we say about those people that hasn't been said already. ;)
    I'll be following live stream, and be posting here.

24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    IS THAT A CHALLENGE??? :)

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No doubt they have a position in mind, probably right back. But, if his best position is central mid, then that means benching both of last year's starters and I think that's unlikely.

I'd guess the plan is to have him play right and then move him into the middle eventually (he'd have to be an incredible right back to justify using the first pick in the draft on that position for the long term).
    It sounds like they've been aggressively shopping that pick around, so it seems like this is the best deal they could get (especially since they're dealing with a close rival in the standings).

Not if you pick the consensus top-rated guy. If they go elsewhere, yes, a ton of pressure.

Interesting. It's possible they could take Alvarez and use him to pry Kennedy loose. Alvarez does have NE ties at UConn and undoubtedly they have plenty of scouting on him, but to pick a player whose already said he wants to play for someone else ... And, they already have Caldwell coming in as an attacking mid (presumably backing up Toja), so it's not like it's a big need.

If they pick him, I think it's to trade him. Farrell seems to be the best player, but if they're going to put him at right back, that's a position they can fill a lot cheaper. Makes me wonder also if there's still something else going on.

Except choice. If they think the top guys are basically equivalent, that's one thing.

I think the Revs are at least motivated by what happened last year. I think we ended up one spot out of the elite players available and that was a somewhat helpless position, when we really needed a top attacking player. With a small investment, they've given themselves the pick of the litter (I just hope they don't pick someone who they could've gottten at #4!).