News: Revs, Revere "in final stages" of talks on Wonderland Stadium

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, it's settled. Wonderland.

2. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This really isn't too much of an issue. With the new exit 20 and the Ted Tunnel connecting to Rt. 1A, getting to Revee-yah from the South sure is infinitely easier. The first time I tried it some years ago, I never realized how close East-a-Bos and Revere was from Southie. I was there in about 5 minutes from exit 20. Before that, Revere seemed so distant. The only real issue is the approach road to Wonderland, and that's gonna be suckie for anyone unless they do major road improvements. Even at rush hour, getting to exit 20 in Boston from the south is pretty clear sailing. On Saturdays it should be a piece of cake.

PS: I just googled it from my house to both Gillette and Wonderland. Wonderland is only 3 miles more. Something I'd gladly live with for a SSS.

3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at a satellite pic of the site, you will see that there is ample room for a stadium, plus a lot of parking. In addition, there is a huge new garage nearby for non tailgating car travel.

4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The town Paul Revere lived in comes to mind

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always felt that any new stadium we get will severely limit tailgating. I'd like to think they'd have one season ticket lot which would allow it, but I have no idea.

6. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had to choose one or the other, what would you rather have - the stadium we've always dreamed of and no tailgating, or the status quo with tailgating preserved? I can't imagine that there won't be some amount of parking that would accommodate tailgating, but I for one would rather have the stadium. I look at it like this when it comes to pregame activity - when I go to Foxboro, I can tailgate. When I go to the Garden or Fenway, I can go to a bar. If our fictional SSS has limited or no tailgating capacity, I'll happily go to a bar before the game.

7. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, there are more than enough places to have a drink within walking distance. As much as I love the tailgating, I'd much rather sit in a bar and then walk over to the game.

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If for some reason the parking situation doesn't easily allow for tailgating I'm reasonably confident that either the stadium itself or a spot near by will have a "REVOLUTION CLUB" that will house a history of the Club with kits and Pictures and Stats and serve as a watering hole gathering place for the faithful before (where the march in starts) and after matches.

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What leads you to to feel that way? This club has shown no appreciation for history, continuity, etc. I'd like to think that they'd create a supporter's pub, but I'm doubtful, considering Kraft seems to take the cheapest alternatives for this team. And even if they do create one, I'd expect it to be corporate/chain-like, similar to the CBS Scene, not something club operated and dedicated to the team and it's history.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he'll likely want businesses on the property that can make money on days other than Saturday. I'd be flat out surprised if there was no bar/restaurant and shop involved.

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bob Kraft doesn't, a private individual will. That's how the Free Market™ works

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: tail-gating and youth outings, I'd guess that the team would have 1 or 2 "big" games (double-headers, etc) that they would play in Foxboro even after an SSS is built. Games that would draw a larger crowd than the SSS could hold. Like the Quakes do when they play at AT&T Park, or Stanford.

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games that are over our mean attendance (about 13.5k) include Exclusively Mexican Heritage Night, the SKC second-part of the double-header, the 14,374 that came to watch NYRB the first time, the 15,264 that came to see us play the SuperSounders, and te 16,414 that came to watch the Creamsicles.

If the two clear outliers (EMHN and the 6,149 that came on a crappy Wednesday to watch the Creamsicles) are removed, our mean attendance becomes literally fractions of people under 13k, which would add no new teams to the discussion.

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just took a look again at a satellite image of the Wonderland site. There is room for a stadium, plus gobs of parking. The T station is basically across the street and it's not even a 1/4 mile to the Beach and bars, etc. This seems like a no brainer.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm talking about something attached to the stadium, similar to what we've seen in Kansas City and Charleston. The Revs are the ones with access to the history and artifacts of this club. A private individual most likely doesn't have much interest in the Revs, or the history of the club that Doc was referencing. Sure, a soccer pub or two will open in the area to cater to fans, but it won't be like the impressive one's we've seen at other stadiums and it won't be like the one Doc was referencing.

16. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to build a stadium, but it's not going to be good as Sporting Park? Bite your tongue!

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would a tailgate area on the beach be possible? That would be sweet.

18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No fires on the Beach. Damn MDC

19. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm down with the site. Not perfect,but acceptable. Coming from Metrowest the Ted Williams tunnel allows for fairly easy access. Leave home early and leave parking lot late. I'm sure they'll be alternative parking nearby which will allow for the easy get away if necessary. Regardless of where a SSS goes in an urban setting the ease of Revs Gillette Stadium will be no more. I'm OK with that in hopes that there might be some real culture within walking distance...bars, restaurants..etc..a real neighborhood. Not a silly little man mall.

Also folks from different regions could take the Logan Express to the airport and then take the T the last few stops. With the T being in walking distance to possible stadium it opens up plenty of opportunities for discounted services to the area.

I like how the neighborhood/area has a very large Hispanic population. If the FO does it right that population could be an integral part of the team support...thus more butts in the seats. If the FO screws it up they'll alienate some of the only true soccer fans in close vicinity. It's a very sensitive population. Build a nice practice complex and host local ligas would be a big benefit...have the fields filled all day Sat. before the Revs match and I'm sure you'd see a decent Walk Up on a regular basis. Have more Latin food options other than NACHOS!, etc. Lots the FO can do....what they wouldn't have to do is start from scratch and try and force folks to be soccer fans.

Future stadium or jersey sponsor?

[​IMG]

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No fires, no drinking. Next question...

21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you tailgaters, a quick Google Map check shows a number of bars in walking distance of the site. Some of which are on the beach. Assuming they're still open and not too dodgy, they might make an adequate replacement.
    Also, tailgating is the sort of thing that might be a "concern" of the neighbors, so there might be some negotiations there.

22. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sammy's Patio has officially been claimed for the Rev Army... the diviest of the dive, it's the Red Fox of bars.

patfan1 repped this.
  23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sir, have never been to The Cove if you think Sammy's Patio is bad

pboyce79Revs repped this.
  24. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct sir ... I have not... although the Red Fox isn't as scary as most people think, that being said we've actually been to Sammy's...they let us play our music and even put the champions league on the TV's before we went to a show at Wonderland Ballroom.

I just want to make sure that we lay claim to it now, lest any undesirables get any ideas...

25. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok then... How 'bout the Riders take Bill Ashe's? It's a dive too. I like the little window connecting you to Chinese food!