News: Revs, Revere "in final stages" of talks on Wonderland Stadium

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Sep 20, 2012.

1. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is Revere and the area around this Wonderland park as dumpy and rundown as it looks on google earth and street view?

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. There's actually a whole new development there, including a gorgeous looking multi-level garage

3. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    okay. sometimes google is a few years old and sometimes it is new ... you never can tell. honestly the street view that is on the google maps now makes the whole area look kind of like a dump so i am glad to hear it is improved since.

so how convenient is this place to get to? it seems to be right across the street from the last stop on the blue line? how long and how much would getting to a game there cost/take on the T?

is this site, for us non bostonians, better than the Sommerville? is it considered Boston proper?

Khkevin repped this.
  4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as to your last question: No, because if it were in Boston, it wouldn't be in Revere.

It's also very, very convenient to get to. At least for me

5. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i just thought maybe Revere was like Williamsburg in NYC ... sort of a sub-section of the larger city proper like you get in NYC.

like 10 minutes convenient? 30? 1hr? that is always the complaint about RBA that even tho it is only a few miles from the center of NYC that it takes hours to get there even by public transport.

6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not even remotely close to as good as Somerville, but still a better location than 95% of stadiums in MLS.

Khkevin and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. LD42

LD42 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Dot
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Revere is like Long Island from Manhattan, maybe? or Flushing, distance wise btw. Much better to use public transportation. It'd take about 20-30 min by blue line train from downtown/Gov't Center in Boston.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 Minutes from Government center which would be the central location for most people to get to the blue line.

56 Minutes from Packard's Corner, which is in college/hipster/young area

40 Minutes from Harvard Square in Cambridge, yuppies/college/educated and somewhat hip

40 Minutes from JFK/UMass in Dorchester

Basically on average 40 minutes from most places in Boston proper

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to believe that this is true, that it is going to happen sooner rather than later. But I've been hurt too many times before.

10. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Revere, for me, is a hugely underdeveloped area. If you look at international cities with beachfront neighborhoods, they are usually highly developed and quite affluent. Revere has been more or less the complete opposite for years, for reasons which I'm not qualified to address. A lot of what I've read seems to point out poor politicians, corruption, and lack of direction. For me, a town with a beach that's on the subway has huge potential. Yes, it's a bit further to get to than say Somerville, but not by much. Anyone in Boston who complains about going to Revere will most likely be unhappy with anything not on the Common or tearing down Fenway and building a SSS. It's a good location and with a bit of development, it can turn into a great location.

11. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Huh? o_O

Not necessarily. All Kraft has to do is promise the mayor a free Pats playoff game.

From the article:
    "City Councillors said that they were not aware of the escalated discussions"

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As other have mentioned, Wonderland is about 20 minutes from downtown on the blue line. The blue line cars are small because they were designed for older tunnels under the bay and East Boston, but the should have good enough capacity for medium sized events. The Gloucester line of the commuter rail also runs right next to Wonderland. If they were to build a station there, it would be super convenient for anyone on the North Shore to get to the area.

Otherwise, the blue line is (unfortunately) two transfers from South Station. Those taking the commuter rail from the south shore and metro west will have to make those two transfers, or walk from south station to "Aquarium" blue line stop (a 10 minute walk).

On average, commuter rail travelers will be looking at 40 to 80 minutes of travel time one way. Urban core T users are only 30-40 minutes away.

13. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYO, the blue line cars are shorter than their orange line brethren due to the size of the loop tunnel at Bowdoin.

14. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    thanks for the info ... i've only been to boston once and that was just Newbury St and around Harvard.

it doesn't seem that the location is terrible, and far better than Foxboro. so if this is on the cards maybe the stadium will help the improvement of the area even further.

and the stadium would have a pretty nice view of the ocean if google maps is anything to go by, the upper stands will be able to look right out onto the Atlantic which would be pretty cool.

15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was talking about the width of the cars, which is smaller than the red or orange line due to the older tunnels.

16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revere is a city unto itself, with its own school system, govt., police and fire. But it borders Boston. Wonderland, is less than a mile from the Boston line.
    To your other point of city subsections, yes, Boston is like that too.... Beyond the inner core are neighborhoods or communities that were once towns of their own but over the years were annexed by Boston. Places like Dorchester, Mattapan, Hyde Park, Roslindale, Roxbury, West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, Brighton, Allston, Charlestown, South Boston, East Boston, Readville. They are like their own little cities. Most have great city squares or business districts. Their addresses could say "Dorchester, MA", for example, but they still belong now to the major city of Boston (schools, govt. police, fire, utilities, etc.). Revere ain't one of them. Sorry for the length but I felt like explaining. It's complex.

pwykes repped this.
  17. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, Harvard is not in Boston. It's in Cambridge, a city unto itself. :)

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be clear, these are conservative train travel times. When there is less traffic, say, on a Saturday game day, you can cut these times at least in half if you go by car!

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant by something was something is being said, or discussed. It's been frustrating the last few months seeing nothing on the subject.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Speaking as an out-of-towner, but one who has spent plenty of time in Boston for work, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Fingers crossed for you guys.

I know it's not downtown, but it's definitely urban core and in concert with all the other things planned for Revere and having the beach, it sounds pretty sweet. I can easily envision a family weekend in Boston where we spend some time with the kids at the beach and then catch a game.

And as far as I'm concerned, ANY stadium in ANY market that you can take light rail to is a winner.

Best of luck.

21. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News Flash: Don't pin your hopes on this, the 23rd cycle of pretend news surrounding our imminent SSS, which conveniently happen during season ticket renewal so that we maintain our fabulous season ticket 'renewal rate'.

It's all just hot air until we see a press conference with a reasonable groundbreaking date.

Khkevin, rkane1226, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, But now with the Ted Williams Tunnel and the Rt. 1a airport connector road, Revere is now a snap to get to from the South Shore by car.

23. Weber King

Weber King Member

Sep 28, 2001
    North Andover, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current OL Hawker-Siddeley trains are the same width (111") as the old BL Hawker-Siddeley trains that were recently replaced by the Seimens ones.​

24. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The inconvenient truth.

Minutemanii repped this.
  25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time I checked, the Orange Line and Red Line can accommodate cars that are 122 inches wide.