Revs Re-Sign Andy Dorman

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Crooked, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I'm guessing Clint replied with a, "Hell, no!"

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Championship is solid, but League 2? Maybe if he was a youngster there getting minutes and developing. But a 29 year old playing in League 2 is not a generally a sign of quality. Similarly, bottom third SPL teams are generally awful. He wasn't playing for Celtic or Rangers, or even Hearts, etc.

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When he started with St. Mirren he was extremely successful. At one point Celtic, Rangers, and Bolton (IIRC) were all interested in signing him. So slighting him for playing for a lower level SPL team is kind of pointless.

I agree that League 2 is far from a great standard, but IIRC there was some sort of miscommunication prior to signing that contract. Dorman thought they were a Championship side, or something along those lines. Could someone with a better memory or Google skills clear that up?

Revolution909 repped this.
  4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I think he is used to a good standard of play, and I'm sure he will be a hard worker and a positive presence.
    I wish my cynical side weren't saying that he will be the replacement for Shalrie, or possibly Benny.

5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not nervous. He's probably coming cheap as a squad player into a crowded midfield. It's not like the Moreno and Lozano debacles. High priced busts who were slated to start in key positions.

6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not too old. It is old enough to worry. If the team had a good record of scouting health of players...

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he went on loan to Bristol Rovers, he thought they were in League One.

Anyway, this is like the time we used the Daniel Hernandez allocation to acquire Daniel Hernandez!

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Our bench full of somewhat adequate players just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

patfan1 repped this.
  9. windylove

windylove Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually I was/am expecting Heaps and FO to acquire one 0r two DP for both DM and CB.

10. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, today"

[​IMG]

Crooked repped this.
  11. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

12. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel this is lazy and shows managements lack of commitment to building a comprehensive scouting program. Dorman is not a game changer, he's just another serviceable (midfield) piece in a team overflowing with serviceable (midfield) pieces. He might make a contribution, but it wont make a major impact. I would liken this AT BEST to Deion Branch returning to the Patriots, savvy vet, wont make mistakes, might do something good, and on the cheap. To extend the football analogy, they need to be looking for Gronks, not Branch's. I'd be more impressed if they signed a few 18-20 y.o. forwards they had scouted coming up in the Non-Leagues or something like that, grab a few, sign them to trials and see who sticks. Of course a big name DP would be best, but id rather see them import youth with upside than proven mediocrity.

huskydeac repped this.
  13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He doesn't look nearly as hardworking without the hair.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said, agree with everything. The championship is a good leading indicator to success in MLS. I also agree fitness and health are huge x factors but I am willing to keep an open mind and see if Andy can't replicate his form while here, or even at St. Mirren, where he had modest success.

15. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Khano...

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Revs idea of getting better is to sign Andy Dorman? Ok he had some decent years here 6 years ago but he went down hill after moving to Palace. Even is Benny is moving on, is Andy on the same level talent wise or better? No. You don't get into the playoffs signing Andy Dormans of the world.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolution909 repped this.
  18. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that's not the case for long. FWIW, I don't think its "lazy" either - it's a tactical roster move, nothing more. An upgrade for Ryan Guy's cameo at DM and, if you like trying to read tea leaves, perhaps a hint that either Clyde or Benny is on the way out. How many of the impact players that folks would have preferred to Andy Dorman are not under contract?

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it's hard to say whether or not this move will actually improve the team. None of us have seen Andy play in a while, so it's hard to know what to expect. At the same time, this very well could just be a depth/leadership signing. I certainly hope that management doesn't look at this as a major acquisition, and in reality I don't think they do. They're familiar with Andy, like the leadership and experience he can bring to the team. and hopefully he's coming at the right price. If the price and expectations are right, then this is a fine signing in my book.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My feeling is they should be bringing in veteran leadership that will start and make an impact on the field not as a depth player that might see 15 mins a game. I would be surprised if Dorman makes over 100k. Burns and Heaps know him but nobody else on this team knows Andy. To this team he is just another new guy. All the faces have changed but the only constant is Burns and bringing in mediocre players. If they get more out of him than they did Nyassi who soaked up nearly 100k in caps space and did nothing then its an ok signing but not the type this team needs. They need defenders, a keeper and a striker, they needs starters

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This roster needs to improve from top to bottom. That means adding starters, role players, leadership players, etc. Every acquisition can't be for a guy that you expect to play 90 minutes week in and week out, that's now how building a team works.

Like I said, if the expectations or price are wrong than this is a poor signing. If Andy is earning under $100k and is expected to be a role player who can add leadership to the team then I think it could be a fairly successful signing. If the Revs are paying him north of $150k and expect him to be a starter then we have a problem.

22. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Had the chance to chat with Dorman's parents in The Fort a couple of times over the years and they're some of the nicer people you'll ever meet; welcome back Andy.

23. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I knew about Khano coaching. I was suggesting that he return to the field ( Mr Sangster now ducks out of the way of the approaching shots)

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Usually a lot depends on situations. We already know that he can be a quality MLS player (seems to me there's been a lot of b'ing and moaning about letting him leave!). With some added experience and seasoning, he should only be better.
    Wow, and I got flack for saying this is a negative group!

Someone please dig up all of those posts about how crappy Dorman was at the time MLS wouldn't re-sign him.

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That was five years ago. You realize that players can get worse over time, right? He hasn't been playing consistent minutes in a league of lesser quality than MLS. If you're expecting him to come back and be the Andy Dorman of old you're probably in for a rude awakening.