Revs Offseason News, 2013

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, painful to think about.

But, I think the problem has been about more than signings - it also about integrating foreign players. We've signed some good internationals, only to fail to get any production out of them.
    I think the re-entry draftees will take some time to sort itself out. They have minimum offers on the table, so they can go out and try to find something better. In the meantime, the team will get ready for the draft and will probably negotiate more when the players have established what their market is.

As for Martinez, I'm not convinced that was ever more than a rumor or a plant. I don't think anyone associated with the team or the local media has ever confirmed him as a target.

Kraft Out repped this.
  2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Six MLS preseason games is great, I like that they're ramping up the offseason training program more and more every year. Any idea if they'll be streamed somehow?

3. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So, Revs fans, are not living in the US and not fans of soccer?

4. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think someone is mistaking US Soccer fans with US Mens National Team fans. Being a fan of an MLS team inherently makes you a US Soccer fan. I'm glad we are going to argue semantics though. It really is riveting.

5. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    You're arguing semantics. You know exactly what was meant by my original statement and could have easily just replied to that instead of pointing out what you thought was incorrect. Thanks for the tremendous insight.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
  7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need more rivets.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I wasn't pointing out that you were incorrect. I pointed out why I thought hoping for Nguyen to be called in by Klinsmann, for a comparative competition to Bengston, was absurd. And how US soccer fans overrate meaningless matches. Whether it is USMNT games, the Tucson prseason cup, SuperLiga, or whatever...Hell, people here care more about the domestic cups of European leagues than a lot of those fans in those leagues actually care. People want Nguyen to get "respect". I want him to win cups for the New England Revolution, and hopefully contribute to a National team possibly.

As far as semantics go, you said this:

not me

9. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I wasn't arguing semantics. I was discussing the views of two very different groups of fans. The point I was making is that what Revs fans want and what US(MNT) fans want are very different. Nguyen being called in, as meaningless as you might see it, brings him increased fame and thus value, which makes him a more important commodity for the Revs to possess.

US fans don't care about this because all that matters is that 1 or 2 guys come out of this camp having proven they have what it takes to get a call up to the senior camp.

If Bengtson tears up another tournament, even a meaningless preseason one, he's going to be attracting more attention from bigger clubs, which the Revs could(in theory) make the most of.

It has nothing to do with wanting respect, it's that I want as much value as I can out of our(Revs) players.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I never once said USMNT fans. You used that as a semantical argument. This is a waste of time.

11. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, this cup (Copa Centroamericana) isn't exactly "meaningless," since it's what determines the Central American representatives in the Gold Cup.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I knew when I made the comment about US soccer fans not being idiots, I'd regret saying anything.

On topic please.

13. LD42

LD42 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Dot
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    https://twitter.com/kylejmccarthy
    So nothing yet

14. Demolition Man

Nov 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh... either do something with em Revs or let em go.

15. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I think this has been a major factor as well. Hopefully things have changed in not only identifying players they think will fit in, but also integrating them. The problem I'm seeing, so far, is that not much has changed. Lozano and Moreno were blunders. Cardenas never seemed to really fully integrate. Bengston has been too in and out due to International duty to really tell. On the plus side, Sene and Imbongo seem to have good repoir with teammates. Especially Sene who really was a team leader in the beginning. Hopefully the new internationals will integrate better. I'm including Toja in the new category because he wasn't here long enough last season.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Why? There's really no urgency to getting those negotiations resolved right now. Patience.

Most contract negotiations have some kind of abstract time constraints that mostly dictate when the parties will get down to their best offers. They take as long as they need to take (witness the NHL strike and the fiscal "cliff"). In this case, I think that constraint is probably the draft in 10 days. By then, teams will want to know if they need to use the draft to fill needs they hoped to with re-entry picks. The players aren't going to be quick to sign, because they're still trying to limit the size of the pay cut they are would have to take from MLS.

17. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    The longer it goes on the more I dare hope that they are holding out because they are waiting to land better players. Hopefully they're really just 'Plan B'. B is for Barrett at least.

Kevin D.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fine with this one way or another however they need to settle this before training camp starts. The longer it takes the more of a distraction it could become with the team

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think the attitude they generally have for re-entry picks is that they'd like to have them at a certain salary. I don't think they have any plans to feature Barrett. I'd guess they'd like to add him, but won't be too broken up if he declines their offers.

23. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Reis at the Soccer in Newtown event...

NFLPatriot repped this.
  24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that was true (no plans to feature) for Clyde Simms?

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not sure where this belongs, but old friend Frank Dell'Apa just tweeted that La Gazzetta dello Sport is linking former Rev Milton Caraglio to three mid to lower level Serie A teams (Catania, Pescara, and Siena).