Revs Offseason News, 2013

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd ads another solid defender to that as well. Just not really sold on the Tierney/Alston option at LB and Polak is no way near ready if he every will be.

Jon Martin repped this.
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is just about when they might be in final talks about a SSS as well

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not sure why it should be sad. It takes a while of playing together for a team to really hit it's stride. Heaps probably knows who his opening day lineup will be, but he probably has no idea what it will look like by the summer. No team is going to be (or should at least should be) playing at their peak in a month. The goal is to be getting better every game.
    You still think likes its shopping at the supermarket. You can't just get players just because you've got the money to spend. There are a lot of factors that have to be right in order to sign an impact player. And the low-mid-range (by international standards) salary we're able to offer is particularly hard to fill.
    Yes.
    Possibly, but until we see how Cisse, and Goncalves for that matter, in real competition, we don't know what kind of MLS players they're going to be. If Cisse isn't all we hope, then Simms and Dorman and maybe even Farrell should get a loook.
    Well, that might help, but it's also the case that more players are available in the summer than there are in the fall/winter/spring - and having a scout doesn't change that. But, I totally agree that's always been a major problem.
    No, I agree with that. But, regardless of how much slack the fans are willing to grant them, the need is the same. Both teams made major changes, both need time to sort out their lineups and playing style and chemistry.
    I'm not sure how you can make that judgement on Polak. He did play the final game in preseason and we pitched a shutout, so ... he's at least reached the point where he's not a major liability. "No where ready". I don't think we know that. I think there are signs he's at least going to be a viable sub this year.

4. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one positive sign this year is that unlike last year....the pieces for the upcoming campaign have been in place for the most part for the entirety of pre season training.....last year the team was constantly changing as the season went on, and their was never any continuity.....also, if farrel comes as advertised, they are out of the gate better defensively....lets face it benny was a liability in the midfield last year, the loss of shalrie disrupted the team......out of the gate, they are a bit more solid in the midfield. Bengston has had a full training camp, and judging by his international performances against top flight competition, we are automatically better up top.

I am not calling them a threat for the cup, but I have no reason to believe they cant contend for a playoff spot, and maybe peak at the right time and give some team fits in the post season.

there is my glass half full assessment!

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously we see things differently. The games I saw him play this year he was no where near ready to be a starter or even a solid bench player. I know a few others commented on that as well. I can see him being a Rochester assignee all season except for the occasional Open cup game

6. gmboy95

gmboy95 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Norton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK....now this is worrisome, again this teams biggest issue is lack of continuity....but I guess every team has to deal with this

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be like shopping at a supermarket, but other teams seem to be able to bring in decent players in the off-season. I am not asking the Revs to be doing anything that an average MLS team would not be doing.

I want to see them be at the minimum competency levels of the league as a whole. The term "most favored nation" is used in trade, meaning that we want to have the same trade tarrifs, etc. as you give your "most favored" trading partner. I want to see something similar in terms of how competent the team is in all opreational areas. I'm not talking about train-wrecks like Chivas, but the minimum standards of an average, run-of-the-mill team. Even "massive" clubs in "big" markets like Columbus and Salt Lake.

8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013 Revs TV spot:

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's better than last year's ad, but it's still a long way from "good".

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I don't think Jerry Bengtson will be called-up for Copa Oro.. Remember this summer there are what? Three WCQs that are going to be played?? Plus this Copa Oro will be more for the fringe players or domestic based kids with Honduras. I wouldn't expect for Suarez to waste his time in this Cup with his MLS contingency when they will already be gassed from MLS and some WCQs. I wouldn't fret over that.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  11. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks pretty good to me. What would you do differently?

12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed, one of the better pieces. I could have done without the Heaps slant and focused on something else, but understand why they did it - although I don't agree.
    Who is the player on the ground towards the end? Reminded me that I saw McCarthy like that a lot last year after getting torched for a goal, so hopefully that was something different.

13. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop billing the team as though it's some novel concept. "Unique"? "Exciting"? Shit like that contributes to why people think of going to Revs games as a consolation prize for that raffle at the youth soccer tournament. Stop introducing the Revs with your commercials and stop selling the very idea of live professional soccer. Assume your audience knows the team and league exist, and go from there.

Ever heard the expression "dress for the job you want to have"? We should be pushing this team the way other major league franchises push theirs. The Bruins were in a heap of shit a few years ago after the first lockout, so they responded with a brilliant campaign that had nothing to do with on-ice performance or reminding people that hockey existed. They didn't say "this is hockey" or "isn't hockey exciting?", they said "respect the jersey" and "don't date within the division".

Tap into Boston fans' hatred of all things New York and make an ad painting NYRB as evil incarnate. Talk about this team as a group of scrappy underdogs trying to claw their way through against the dirty and famous players elsewhere in the country. Use "Beat L.A." to our advantage.

But "we're going to attack"? "This is soccer"? That's crap and is unbecoming a AAA-level baseball team, let alone a supposedly major-league franchise. That ad looks like it was put together with a half an hour of new stock footage and two months of tutorials on After Effects.

NFLPatriot, BrianLBI and patfan1 repped this.
  14. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA

OOps. I honestly read that as the Revs condoning gambling on their matches.

Bet Here 3/23

Sometimes I just don't get it.

"I'll take Anal Bum Cover for 400 Alex!"

15. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Since the season has begun....