Revs Offseason News, 2012 (Part 1)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just taking a stab a possible opening day line up as of today based on recent news and last year:
    ...............................................Reis/Shuttleworth
    Alston...................McCarthy...................Soares...............Tierney
    ...................Simms..........................................Cisse
    Toja.........................................Benny..........................Martinez
    ....................Bengston...........................Fagundez

Sorry but that back line just sticks out like a sore thumb. Hopefully Santa Kraft will bring us a couple defenders and a forward

2. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I'm too lazy to search.

When is Sene supposed to be able to step on the field again?

Kevin D.

3. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken i believe that Martinez was a top off season target of Nicol a couple of seasons back before he changed his mind and headed to China.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it was May

5. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I did a little digging on him and apparently DC filed a claim on him in late 2008. I can't find anything about Nicol/the Revs; however, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the long list of players that Nicol submitted to the FO that was turned down.

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh... the rarely used 4-5-2. A bold strategy, but a winning one should the league take pity on us and allow the Revs to play 12 v. 11 next year. :)

Seriously... I've been trying to figure out how the Revs would plan on getting all of these midfielders/forwards on the field at the same time. Your lineup doesn't even include Dorman, Nguyen, or Sene.

ElasticNorseman and FlashMan repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA!, Just noticed the 11 field guys,,,,Sene is out until May. I am betting that Simms will beat out Dorman. With Cisse, Dorman, Simms, Martinez(if signed) Benny, Nguyen and Toja there really is no way to get all of them on the field at once. maybe the go 3 in the back to introduce another midfielder? Maybe the play a lone striker with Martinez playing off him? On paper, you have 7 quality MLS midfielders and that does not include Rowe or Cardenas. Someone is being traded, sat or let go

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second try,,,,legal this time
    ...............................................Reis or Shuttleworth
    Alston...................McCarthy...................Soares...............Tierney
    ...................Simms..........................................Cisse
    Toja.........................................Martinez..........................Benny
    .........................................Bengston

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Benny is surely gone, but even if he isn't, Nguyen is still the better winger.

I also don't see us playing a 4-5-1. I expect to see a 4-4-2, with a midfield of Cisse, Toja, Martinez (if he signs), and Nguyen. That would leave Rowe, Dorman, Simms, Nyassi, Cardenas, Benny, Gavin, and Guy all on the outside looking in. I think we'll part ways with Benny, Gavin, Nyassi, and possibly Cardenas when this offseason is all said and dnoe.

10. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure there's a need to keep Gavin. The Shalrie trade had more to do with subtracting than adding. Also, Guy's swiss army knife capabilities make him a useful bench guy.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without upgrades to the back line, I can't see the Revs going with anything other than Simms and Cisse in the middle....maybe Dorman and Cisse. Toja would be no defensive help and I doubt martinez would either.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    If true, makes me think that they are looking for someone who Bengston can develop some chemistry with (as well as hold down a starting role at least until Sene returns). They have a long way to go to make the most out of their investment in Bengston.

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love making stews.

You start off at stage 1 with a few known ingredients (including a few bottles of beer to give the stew character and some of the leftovers from the frig) and then at stage 2 start adding items that will give the stew it's real identity and finally in stage three you add the spices that allow the stew to reach it's fullest potential.

I see the Revs in the stage two phase of creating the mix that will be the 2013 Revs. I really like stews that are put together well in advance of the time to be served which is what Rev Central seems to be trying to do. So far I really like how the Revs are going about making 2013's supper..

FlashMan and Crooked repped this.
  14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I agree. You've been preaching all along that it takes a while to rebuild an MLS team. I still disagree with that sentiment, but I'm beginning to think that the Revs are doing a pretty good job in the long run of rebuilding the team. I wish it was happening faster (as last season feels like a bit of a waste), but I have to say that I'm hapy that it's happening. It's also great to see them taking advantage of our extended offseason and being the first team to make signings heading into 2013.

15. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like cheese.

16. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Is Sene expected back by then? He was much better than Bengston last year.

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Latest on El Pery:

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google translation:
    ATTENTION: The coach of the New England Revolution, Jay Heaps, spoke directly with Walter 'Pery' Martínez and apparently have all agreed. Lack expect confirmation of the club on its website to make official the transfer of the ' Pery

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three signings for 2013 before MLS Cup
    Not a bad start on making the significant upgrades we need -- IN A TIMELY MANNER. :geek:

20. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    Back to Feilhaber: I wonder if LAG would do a Benny for Sean Franklin or/ AJ DeLaGarza?

21. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then once the game went to PKs...

Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    COLLEGE- Scott Caldwell converts the first PK for Akron. Bruno Castro converts for Creighton. 1-1 after 1st Round

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, Akron is out.

Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    Akron dominated the match, created the bulk of the chances, but Creighton hung on and came through in PKs

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sene is expected to be out until the beginning of March.

Based on the current roster additions/expected subtractions, here's my ideal 2013 Rev Starting Lineup:
    Bengtson Sene
    Toja
    Nguyen Cisse Rowe
    Gavin McCarthy Soares Alston
    Reis

My Fantasyland revamped Revs back 4:

LB Marc Burch (Seattle), CBs AJ De La Garza & Omar Gonzalez (LA), RB Jason Hernandez (San Jose).

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    With the possibility of Donovan retiring or taking a year off, it makes a lot more sense.