Revs Offseason News, 2012 (Part 1)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not, Bengtson is a fine player in the right situation - this guy, it remains to be seen.

OK, I'm a soccer snob for wanting the revs to find players who don't cut their teeth in the 2nd division Chinese (Martinez, ?), Saudi Arabian (Jerry White, bust) and Cameroonian leagues (Assengue, bust).

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    That would be excellent. I'm a big Marvin C. fan.

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It looks like Hertzog graduated from GA after just 2 seasons of minimal playing time after Dallas showed some interest in him.

Daniel Robertson@DRobertsonFCD
    Just off the phone with Schellas and he interestingly noted that they were interested in Hertzog but he's graduated from Generation adidas

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

5. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wow, what the heck is going on? THREE signings before the playoffs are even over? Who replaced Mike Burns with Brian Cashman?

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not signed yet, but appears he will be.

I wonder if the front office has finally reached the stage where there's a sense of urgency, for the first time in what seems like forever.

7. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I'm liking the sense of urgency. They might turn out to be busts, but at least we're getting them in early so they have a full preseason to find some chemistry. Nice job by the FO.

Mike Marshall and Crooked repped this.
  8. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It certainly seems like it. If Martinez signs this would be three quality (IMO) signings before anyone else has made any substantial moves.

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Ives provides some clarity on Hertzog and some of the recent changes made to the GA program.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Revs are (rightly) proud of themselves for their off-season work so far.

But this part... what?
    That we've been able to? We've been pretty much done for the playoff race with over a month left the last two years as well..

11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I often wonder about that boy.

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he wants to return to East I think the Revs are in a very good position to sign him--if--they want him. From what little his numbers/CV tell us he may an upgrade but the number of midfielders is getting a bit out of hand :geek:

13. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Staying:
    Cisse - DM
    Rowe - AM/RM
    Dorman - AM/RM
    Martinez - AM
    Simms - DM
    Tierney - LM
    Nguyen - LM/AM

Questionable:
    Toja - CM
    Gavin - CM
    Guy - CM/RM
    Cardenas - LM/RM

Out:
    Benny
    Nyassi

We really aren't overloaded at midfield if things go similar to this. We've dropped dead weight in Purdie, Roach, and Nyassi. Even if Gavin, Guy, and Cardenas stay, we're looking at 2 deep in every position should we play a 4-5-1. I like the idea that no position would seem to be at all guaranteed. Next up, sort out the back line.

14. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyassi is confirmed gone? Did I miss something?

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staying:
    Cisse - DM
    Rowe - AM/RM
    Dorman - AM/RM
    Martinez - AM
    Simms - DM
    Tierney - LM
    Nguyen - LM/AM
    Toja - CM
    Gavin - CM

At this point, I'd add Gavin and Toja to the keepers list. You don't really want to have traded Joseph and have nothing to show for him not even a year later...

And Toja I think has to stay. Specially if you trade away Benny.

16. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Sorry I was tying to predict what's most likely. I see no way Nyassi stays on a team that values technical possession orientated offense.

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Agree with this. I was particularly impressed with Toja (in limited minutes) toward the end of last season. It's not at all a bad group in midfield. Simms would be Cisse's understudy as enforcer/distributor, and then there are a healthy number of artistes.

Everyone seem to be assuming that Benny is on his way out. I have to imagine he's being offered for a first rate fullback or centerback. But what if no one bites? Could he not stay as a withdrawn or wide forward, especially if we look more like a 4-3-3 next year?

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. Track meet era is over. It's clear to (almost?) anyone who supports this club that Nyassi is out the door.

I'd rather play Toja there or even Dorman - at least the effort will be there game in and game out.

19. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pery Martinez:

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Nicol was quoted as saying his rule of thumb was 1.5 players per position---ie 3 players for every two positions. Of course Nicol went after players who were able to play multiple positions.

21. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    There are enough roster spots where 2 to 1 makes sense from a competitive standpoint. Obviously you bring in guys you think will start, but you shouldn't have guys on the roster who you don't think should challenge for a starting position, unless they're very young and have a lot of potential. With 20 roster spots, you should be able to have 2 in most positions. Obviously certain guys offer utility in a sense that they can cover for multiple positions. I like what we're looking at in the midfield. There's a lot of talent, but no one with certainty. That brings competition, which brings motivation and improvement.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone seems to be talking the foregone conclusion that Benny is history, but he could be much better if Cisse is the real deal in the "Shalrie" role. Toja is another that didn't show a lot in his limited time here, but he also could be a major contributor. If they can trade Benny for a better-than-average back, they should probably do it, but this isn't a scenario where we are desperate to dump him and take anything for him, such as a 2nd round draft pick, allocation $, or any other asset that is not going to make an immediate impact. If we trade him, we need to get a guy who should be in the first team, and better than whoever we had playing that position in 2012.

The best teams always have guys who aren't always playing, but are good enough that they could be, and are pissed off because they thing they should be. These guys push the starters in practice, they offer legitimate tactical options off the bench depending on the game situation, fill in when the inevitable injuries and suspensions come, can start when we have the 3 games in 8 days schedule, and allow us to field a decent lineup in the Open Cup. What is not to like about it?

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, are we "going to take the Open Cup seriously!"?

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, but it's a"crap" tournament and we can't possibly do anythinig but bow out to some amatuer team like the Brooklyn Italians if we have any hope of winning the league. We need to concentrate and prioritize, and these fixtures just get in the way.

Yah mon, I-and-I am no fe guan back t'Trin-e-dad, yuh knowwhutamsayin'?

25. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I love Benny, but I saw little chance that Heaps and he could work together. Without knowing how much Dorman, Cisse, Martinez? are making, it seems like the three of them could be replacing Benny financially.