Revs Offseason News, 2012 (Part 1)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Was the #9 a reference to Caraglio or Moreno? I don't remember. Caraglio has done pretty well since leaving the Revs, 16 goals in 33 appearances.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not dump both of them and look for better options. its pretty obvious that with two midfield signings and potentially another with martinez, not to mention the homegrown player from Akron that the midfield is very crowded. 98k is not a huge chunk of change but in MLS world its a fair amount. An amount that could be used to give guys like Nguyen a raise. I'd rather see Heaps cut all ties to the Nicol era(nyassi) and bring in his own guys. Someone that will actually compete for a PT or start

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was to Moreno.

4. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, that was a good acquisition. :thumbsup:

5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyassi is now the senior Rev. Depressing thought.

6. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's still Matt Reis. Maybe you could count Dorman as well.

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, Matt didn't get cut.

8. SethMan31

SethMan31 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I wouldn't have been upset with cutting Nyassi but I can see why Heaps kept him on. He offers that speedy option off the bench. I think Heaps also has a fantasy that Revs' Nyassi can be like Montreal's Nyassi.

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Last year for Colorado, and this year for Montreal, there were brief periods when Nyassi's brother was effectively playing out-and-out striker and I think Heaps got it into his mind that if all else failed, he could play a pure counter style with our Nyassi. The same sort of "break glass in case of" that Dom Oduro represents these days for the Fire.

He certainly doesn't represent Heaps' vision of what a midfielder should be.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Not yet. All of those guys whose options were declined are eligible for renegotiation and I would think Cardenas is near the top of the list of those they are negotiating with.

Even if he ends up moving on, he was a decent player - pretty close to what was expected from him I think. He was considered a "developing" player, not really and established one.
    As others have pointed out, you managed to leave out several of their bigger signings, but there's no way Dabo and Domi were big signings - they were experienced pros that we hoped to squeeze a final season or two out of. Neither one involved a transfer fee or any significant salary. They were low risk/low investment signings.

Zerka, Cardenas and Sene likewise were not considered big signings. Zerka was a competent, experienced pro, Cardenas a young developmental player and Sene a castoff who impressed in his trial.
    You are either incredibly lucky or inexperienced, but sooner or later you'll probably find out.

Yes. Now he and his agent can talk to other teams and if they can work something out, they can come back to the Revs and talk about compensation.

He may very well go back to Europe, but I still think he has more value in MLS than elsewhere right now. If someone like Brad Davis can be such a critical and successful player in MLS, then Benny can also thrive in a similar role.

Yes. We could have been stuck with a huge salary and declining asset.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those other players have been discussed already.

And yes, Dabo and Domi were big signings. Considering how cheap this team is, and they were given $200k and $150k contracts respectively, other than hiding your head in the sand, there's no way you can say there weren't big signings.

BTW, big signings or not, these are pretty much all the players brought in (along with the couple talked about elsewhere) and they've pretty much failed on all but 2/3 of those players.

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Slight correction made to the above to insure no mistake in the intent of the statement.

Bottom Line: By the standard of most other teams in MLS the Revs have had a very low success rate with their signings outside the draft. I don't believe the reason for this is --"their cheap" --but rather they seem to either lack the skill to identify MLS-able players and/or/both the ability to sign them. I lay that problem primarily at Blooters door.

Can second year coach Jay Heaps tip the scale (despite Blooter lack of skill) in a positive direction? I like what I'm seeing so far this off season but like Linus, I've had the football pulled away at the last moment too many times to rely on hope. OK Jay: Show me !

13. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I believe "they're cheap" does have something to do with it, as I think most MLS teams have dedicated scouts or some kind of expanded scouting system, while the Revs do not. I don't really trust Heaps as a talent evaluator internationally considering how much he believes in guys like Nyassi and Alston.

If they come back with another "project player" this offseason though I'm going to bang my head against the wall. You only get 8 international spots - 2 are dedicated to "project players" already in Diego and in Imbongo. Find difference-makers!

jw and Crooked repped this.
  15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Completely agreed. This has everything to do with money. It's hard to know for sure, but from afar it appears that we don't spend nearly as much as other teams do on scouting.

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go for a player that would cost you $300k but instead get one for $80k (or whatever) ... there's two reasons. One is you're cheap. The second is you rate the other player higher. I can see that being the case occasionally. But this seems to happen often (see the lack of knowledge on most of the players we bring in).

17. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the MLS Cup match IINM I heard them say that while LA had the second highest Roster cost that Houston had one of the lowest. It's become a meme that the Revs are cheap because they don't throw a lot of money around. but Houston doesn't either. Whats the difference between the two teams? In relative terms it's not the net roster cost. I will restate my position. I think the primary problem with the Rev player personnel system is their ability to identify and sign players. I will agree that having a mature scouting system is important and that might mean having a full time scout(s) but without knowing the full spread of what each team is doing I think thata a moot point. Bottom Line: The Revs success rate of non-draft signings is way below par in comparison with most MLS teams

19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Philly has its own full-time Latin American scout/representative. Previously, Diego Gutierrez was the key to getting Mondragon and Carlos Valdes to sign for them. The new guy, Ansaldi, is getting at least one Argentine forward in on loan. Jury's still out, but the fact the position exists at all shows $$$ are being committed.

Maybe if Jay and Blooter had had a "fixer" in Colombia, he would've warned them off Moreno.

Because that's a huge part of the scouting job--anyone can look at stats or you tube compilations or even a fancy move or two in a game, but gauging the professionalism and attitude of the player we're about to invest in requires a hell of a lot more. Like actually knowing key people in and around South American leagues.

Don Garber said it himself--the Revs "have to get their metrics right", and proper scouting is a big part of that.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least, have "contacts" in some of these places. The equivalent of a Colombian Big Soccer poster could have warned the Revs that Moreno was a bad idea.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a couple of people that had their comments about all of our Colombian players.

22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    The equivalent of a Massachusetts Big Soccer poster could have warned the Revs that Moreno was a bad idea.

pwykes and huskydeac repped this.
  23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The list that was cited during MLS Cup was based off each team's salaries for the season. NY and LA are in a league of their own, followed by Seattle, Montreal, and a couple of other midlevel teams. Other than that, the majority of teams in the league all spend the same amount on salaries. The Revs are grouped in with Houston which is expected, IMO. The issue isn't how much they're willing to pay players, it's how much they're willing to invest in bringing in the proper players. As I stated before, they don't spend enough on scouting and research and I think that's been a major factor in why so many of their foreign signgings have been failures.