Revs off-season Part II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, under my scenario, the Revs would probably have to venture into the brave, new world of having two DPs at the same time.

How so? Assuming they sign someone to replace Agudelo, they could still play Sene, Imbongo, Davies, and/or Goncalves at forward.

Maybe they're a little short on attacking midfielders who can give guys like Rowe, Fagundez, and Nguyen a rest... but they've also got two first round picks.

2. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically they've had it before; Joseph and Bengtson were here at the same time for a hot second. But yeah.

I don't mean short in numbers, I mean short in stature. Everyone from Caldwell forward (excluding Jones) in your lineup is a finesse player, not a brute force player. I would be worried about that lineup going up against hack-first teams with some of the laissez-faire refs that make it to the top echelon in MLS.

We'd need Dorman, Imbongo, Davies, etc. to play more than just 70th minute sub roles in that setup. They'd start half the time just to keep the offense from getting muscled off the ball every trip upfield.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True ... just a month.

4. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bilello tweeted a sneak peek at the new kit: a sleeve

NFLPatriot repped this.
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. NERhooligan

NERhooligan Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Injury galore

7. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones is a fit with this group. He provides the protection and defensive abilities that Caldwell can't, which frees him up to do more of the possession work. Jones can also pass well enough to link defense and attack. He doesn't sell shirts or tickets though, so finding a contract that he's worth may be difficult here (as in the United States, not just New England). He'll end up somewhere that doesn't need help selling tickets.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    For me the concern is that he likes to get forward too much to play the role that is being described for him in this tread. If he doesn't self-conscious cramping Bradley's style, it seems a stretch to think he'd limit himself to dirty work for the sake of Caldwell, Nguyen, Rowe and Fagundez.

9. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference is that Caldwell isn't getting forward that much and wouldn't be, even if freed from a defensive-mid position. He would stay back when Jones made his runs forward and his game wouldn't be hurt by that.

Crooked repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, agree with this. I think when the game is getting physical and the Revs are getting pushed around, he'd be where he needed to be.

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair. But against the SKCs of MLS, they could play Sene wide right. And the Agudelo replacement would HAVE to have some size. And maybe you draft a kid like Marlon Hairston or Pedro Ribeiro.

12. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus if he's flying forward, at some point he's going to be taking out Aurlien Collin...not to be specific, but you get my point.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's be honest, Jones would add a lot of the physicality that many here wanted last season.

14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. That's what made Dorman effective against certain teams, especially Columbus. Jones could provide what Dorman did, while also providing better overall footballing skills that I think Dorman lacked.
    I think Jones can confidently move forward somewhat often because JG is a rock in the back. It would be incredible to get more offensive contribution from our d-mids.

15. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #140 CottageRev, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    I'm torn on the idea of Jermaine Jones on the Revs - there would be a lot of positives and negatives from my perspective.

Positives
    • The obvious and biggest positive is Jones would instantly transform the Revolution's style of play from top-to-bottom. He would add another level of toughness to their play (along with JoGo), and allow Caldwell more space to operate, providing the two box-to-box midfielder setup that is prevalent and effective in MLS right now.
    • The rest of the young Revolution team gets the opportunity to learn from a longtime Bundesliga veteran with experience in both the German and American national team systems. Fagundez is on record saying he learned a lot from Goncalves and he doesn't even play the same position, so this isn't an ephemeral positive.
    • Jones will probably be playing a major role in Brazil - he's a World Cup starter for the US, not a supersub like Feilhaber was, and that has some cachet. It wouldn't necessarily move attendance but it might at least raise the profile of the Revs somewhat (this is likely wishful thinking).
    Negatives
    • Jones is 32 already, and given the physicality of his position and the league in general, teams will be lucky to get 3 season of solid production from him (and that's probably optimistic). It's a "go for it now" move, and whether you think the Revs could "go for it now" with Jones is up for debate.
    • Jones essentially averages a card per game, to the point you could make a drinking game out of "Jermaine Jones picked up a yellow" mentions in an American Exports article. Even in MLS, you could picture him practically lapping Aurelien Collin in the discipline standings, and he's a lock to get suspended a couple times during the season. It's by far the most frustrating part of his play.
    • The salary demands - although in MLS this is rapidly mattering less and less (for teams that aren't the Revs).
    • This is more of a personal negative, but to me Jones is a hard guy to root for, given past off-field comments and behavior, plus his generally reckless play. I have a tough enough time supporting him in a US jersey, and in a Revs jersey it would be even tougher for me.

Mike Marshall repped this.
  16. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And while JJ can get a bit lost out there, Caldwell is positionally sound and someone I think would work well with him.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones is apparently moving to Eintracht Frankfurt. Just rumors right now, but it appears legitimate. I expect the move to be announced soon. He was apparently in town getting a medical.

18. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pffffft.

Still need a player like him.

19. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Just wanted to say on here i know its off topic but its only because he was a legend & we have his statue at Gillette Stadium. R.I.P Eusebio. He was here a few months ago for Portugal - Brazil friendly. With a heavy heart im extremely sad to see the Pantera Negra pass away. Portugals greatest player in eternal rest.

20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst news:
    http://www.noshortcorners.com/2014/01/goodie-patrol.html

21. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it takes a while and and he ends up here.

22. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. I mean, if you get Michael Parkhurst, you have to play him, of course. And I love the idea of a Goncalves/Parkhurst center back pairing. But then what happens to the rest of the back line? You've still got Soares, Farrell, McCarthy, and Tierney, all of whom are capable (enough).

I wonder if McCarthy isn't the DM boss we're looking for to partner with Caldwell and let the kid push forward like he did in college. I thought he did a pretty good job when he was starting; I never understood why he got yanked and Soares reinstalled.

Shuttleworth/Knighton
    Farrell - Parkhurst - Goncalves - Tierney
    McCarthy - Caldwell
    Fagundez - Rowe - Nguyen
    Goncalves (humor me that he's worth it)/Davies

That leaves Imbongo, Soares, Dorman, DelPiccolo on the bench, and I have no idea where to put Sene when he gets healthy. That's not a bad bench group, and it lets Heaps play with the lineup as needed to suit the opponent. Add Dorman and Imbongo for physical teams.

23. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing to worry about, which I harped upon earlier and since forgotten in my giddiness about a potential Parkhurst return, is the contract restrictions and how many senior contracts we can have. Parkhurst is a guy to make room for, I'd just be curious to see who goes to make room for him.

24. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #149 Minutemanii, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    I'm wary of Soares lately. I was high on him in his rookie year but he's been mistake prone lately. The kind of mistakes that turn into goals for the opposition to boot. I think the back line is pretty strong but with a guy like Parky, it could be a wall which would be very tough to penetrate in MLS and also a veteran back line that can calmly play the attack out of the back. I see Tierney lacking in that regard and also Alston -through no fault of his own- is a potential liability because of his health issues.

25. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how Parkhurst would do in the middle of the defense for a team without a lot of grit in the middle of the midfield? Or a team without a lot of grit period.

I believe that he has seen some time at both RB (primarily) and LB (very little). Is it possible that his best fit for the Revs is not in the middle of the defense?

Either way, it would be great to have him back and he would make the Revs a better team. He would provide starter quality, experience from MLS, abroad, and the USMNT, adds to depth, and adds the ability to cover a few positions.

I still think we need some veteran grit at DM. Any "Jermaine Jones lite" or Big Red type options out there that are realistic?