Revs off-season Part II

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that we have not been able to sign as many re-entry draft picks as we would have liked, but maybe the Revs look like a more appealing destination at this point? At least on the field?

2. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #27 CottageRev, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    I'm not worried about them standing pat on the Re-Entry Draft. As usual, the good, acceptable cost players were either taken early (Franklin, Zakuani, Boswell) or re-signed with their team (Rolfe). Other than Barklage (who was taken before our pick), there was no one else I personally wanted from other teams in the Re-Entry Draft. Even a "bona fide" offer to Heath Pearce (probably the best player not taken) would had to have been in the $200k range due to his outrageous NYRB salary, and would you want to pay that to a 29-year-old coming off a serious injury who lost his spot to Roy Miller?

If anything, to me passing on the Re-Entry Draft indicates the Revs *are* showing ambition, in that they're not taking the lazy way to shore up their roster. Look at that past draft history - other than Simms and maybe Freeman, would you actually even want any of those other guys on your team? Cochrane was a negative for everything except social media entertainment, and Barrett ended up okay but the Revs could have gotten the same production from a player making $65k as opposed to Barrett's $110k. Among the guys we let go, the only one I'll actually miss is Guy.

I think the Revs are prepared to spend this offseason - probably not DP money (of course) but we might see a couple $300 - 450k players in the January window, along with some extra SuperDraft dealings.

bwidell repped this.
  3. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barklage was a second round pick, so we did pass on him. This does not take away from your point at all, but its worth noting.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding a quality LB should have been the focus for the past 7 years in my opinion.
    I'd like to have an outside back that can add punch to the attack and have speed to recover and someone that will not be out muscled. I think if we could take alston's speed and 1 v 1 ability, Tierney's soccer brain and the size and grit of Barnes we might have something but I don't think its possible to do that.
    [​IMG]
    ITS ALIVE ITS ALIVE!!!

5. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who, in MLS, is that? What resources are you going to give up for that? What other roster changes do you give up on to make that happen? Is the gap between Chris Tierney and Seth Sinovic so great that you'd part with significant allocation money? An International slot? Draft picks?

bwidell repped this.
  6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 firstshirt, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Just me talking but there should never be any spots on a roster that should not be looked at for upgrade including left back. if the right guy comes along why not use an international spot on that position? With what we seen from Heap and the style of play that he wants to use is Tierney the right fit? I don't think so. Do I think Heaps and Burns try to replace him this year? no but I feel that is a mistake. If you you are happy and content with mediocrity thats fine, not me

agoo101284 repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it possible that mahoney thinks he is eligible since Leo is a Green card holder? I mean when you start and article with : "t’s been a while since MLS provided the U.S. national team with a capable pool of left backs.
    While the likes of Jeff Agoos and Jonathan Bornstein have served the USA, the past few years have yet to produce a strong candidate."
    tend to makes the reader think you are talking about candidates for the US at LB and as others pointed out he left out foreign backs that others would probably have higher on the list.

8. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not thrilled with mediocrity, but when everyone is mediocre in one area...why not us? We spend nearly as much time shitting on Tierney on this board as we spend talking about a stadium or whether or not our logo has enough bolts. We shit on Tierney more than we shit on Jerry Bengtson and I think a lot if it is that its hard work to establish a meme that a guy who isn't terrible is actually terrible.

I'm not saying we should just pencil Tierney into the starting lineup for the next six years. If someone better who can be acquired through reasonable means becomes available, yes, we should get that guy...BUT...only after considering the cost of that move very carefully. I don't think Tierney is detrimental to the team and I think if we let him go, he would find himself a starter on another club pretty quickly. What's the value of a draft pick, an international slot, and/or allocation money for a slightly less mediocre left back? The position is pretty much crap all over the world, so getting anyone better than bad will cost us.

I haven't read a lot of Mahoney's stuff, but that site generally seems to have it together in terms of factual information. I'm sure he knows Gonzalez played for Costa Rica in a World Cup (to be honest, I didn't know that previously, I just assumed that one of his 61 caps had to be cap-tying). I read the start of the article to be a nice way of saying that the entire group of left backs in MLS sucks. Nothing else in the article is presented in terms of a potential impact on the USMNT. Its more clear when you also consider his right back and keeper articles, which feature more foreigners than left back.

a517dogg and bwidell repped this.
  9. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    I'm not ready to believe this. If there was a good track record in place from this management team, that showed the ability to aim higher than this, then I'd be more inclined to be buying what you are selling.

For example, if this were the **actual** track record, then there would be a basis for hoping:
    Could happen!

Or not.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Why didn't you count Sene?
    I think we are (but I think they are also looking for a primo forward too). If you listen to Heaps' recent chat with Jeff Lemieux, it's clear that he hasn't written off Bengtson. He gives his thoughts on why it didn't work out last year and it's pretty clear that he thinks it can work better. Heaps has shown a pretty good learning curve IMO, so I wouldn't bet against it.
    I'm just curious as to what a keeper can do to prove that? Win games? Generate a low GAA? Play a lot of minutes? Keep an MLS legend on the bench for the majority of the season?

I think Shuttleworth's detractors are making very subjective judgments that aren't really reflective of his contribution to earning points. Reis typically makes more spectacular saves, Shuttleworth usually more routine. But the job isn't to be spectacular, it's to prevent goals and restart the attack. The criticisms of BS are somewhat like those of Tierney - they may not look good doing the job, but they generally get the job done.
    I don't disagree that we need significant additions, but I think Bengtson and Imbongo can both raise the level of their games. Imbongo, because he's a young and talented guy who has been showing steady growth, and Bengtson, because Heaps needs to figure out a way to utilize his skills (which he clearly possesses).
    That's always been my view. He's a pretty average MLS player - someone you can win or lose with, not a real difference-maker, but a decent supporting player.
    Yes, it's something. It's bending over backwards to avoid giving him a minimal amount of credit. ;)
    I disagree again. Every quality MLS team has role players of that level. The two finalists from this season certainly did. You can definitely build a contending MLS team out of competent players as long as they are combined with some exceptional players in the right system.

The Revs became a bad team, not because of bad role players, but because they ran out of exceptional players who could help those role players be better than they would be otherwise. Case in point, Goncalves not only played great individually this year, but more importantly, he made everyone in the defense look better than they had the season before.
    When it's the 2nd phase of the re-entry draft, I think it's almost all about money. These are guys who are looking at significant pay cuts and there reaches a point where there are better opportunities for salary/playing time elsewhere. In fact, a weak/rebuilding team may be a better situation for most of them because it provides a better opportunity for playing time. These are players who need to put the brakes on their decline in value, first and foremost.
    Yes, I agree. Every position can theoretically be upgraded, but you have to have priorities. Upgrading LB would be great, but I can think of 3 or 4 more important needs that can have a bigger overall impact.

abecedarian repped this.
  11. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't count Sene because of the injury. He won't count on the roster for a while, if at all next season.

And I completely agree with you about Tierney. As I've said repeatedly, he's not going to win us games like Agudelo or Goncalves did, but he's not going to lose us any either.

12. 6and33areGOD

6and33areGOD Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  13. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's WhoScored's rankings of each team's starting left back (ie. most games started), from last season:

1. Chris Klute (COL)
    2. Leo Gonzalez (SEA)
    3. Seth Sinovic (SKC)
    4. Jeb Brovsky (MTL)
    5. Todd Dunivant (LA)
    6. Chris Wingert (RSL)
    7. Jordan Harvey (VAN)
    8. Chris Tierney (NE)
    9. Roy Miller (NY)
    10. Gonzalo Segares (CHI)
    11. Michael Harrington (POR)
    12. Raymon Gaddis (PHI)
    13. Tyson Wahl (CLB)
    14. Cory Ashe (HOU)
    15. Jair Benitez (DAL)
    16. James Riley (DC)
    17. Ashtone Morgan (TOR)
    18. Justin Morrow (SJ)
    19. Josue Soto (CHV)

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/23...PlayerStatistics/USA-Major-League-Soccer-2013

14. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has any highlight video ever been made of exclusively shielding? Even the music is not very dramatic. I guess you win Defender of the Year and you gotta have a video of defending, so..

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I can't argue that making the left back a Revolution priority above, say striker, is worthwhile. I do think that if somehow Revolution could start a pair of wing backs who could attack effectively and defend, it would revolutionize MLS. There is no defense in MLS prepared to defend against that.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Does anyone know this guy?

He would seem to be in our price range.

@LDD - Is the 2.Bundesliga a good resource? Sene came from there.

17. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I'm thrilled they made that video. It shows creativity in the editing department, something severely lacking in years past. As an editor myself, I'm ecstatic, and hope they keep doing things like this in the future. Seriously though, in the past, it would be another dorky Slyde video. It's a step in the right direction, in my opinion, stemming from an avid editor and videographer.

18. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him. I'm not sure he'd come to MLS though, given how close he was to getting first team minutes at 1FCK before the manager change (at least according to the YA board). He can probably latch on over there. It would be fun to see him switching between the left flank and the middle with Diego.

19. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I'll try to jump back to the LB conversation tomorrow when I have more time to respond to some good posts, but I'd like to throw out Andrew Wooten's name right now. Sign him, please. Great replacement for Agudelo. He's shown a lot of potential on very poor teams. Young player with a ton of technical ability, has a big body that could easily handle the MLS style, and I think he'd be interested in a move to the US where he could get back into the USMNT scene post WC2014. He needs to be playing as many minutes as possible and I think he'd be more likely doing that here than trying to fight for a spot in Germany. He can also easily fit into a striker role or out wide. Would love to see him with the Revs next season.

Crooked repped this.
  20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Corner kicks as well.

Doublecard repped this.
  21. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Crooked repped this.
  22. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    This year's version of Chad Barrett is like this year's version of the flu. All he does is is take minutes away from players who could help us win.

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring the the addition of Knighton who has now his 4 shot with 3 different teams to establish himself as #1

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs became a bad team because they put too much money into a couple of contracts and screwed themselves. They did not know how to manage their payroll. I believe Nicol and Burns even admitted that after the fact. After that it was all rebuilding. Goncalves was a great addition and certainly shored up a terrible back line but I think the addition of Farrell at RB helped out too and McCarthy, at the beginning of the year, was playing very well most of the time but did have a few brain farts.
    Totally agree and in a previous post LB was just one of the positions I mentioned along with DM, CB, forward and possibly a seasoned Keeper

25. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link?