Pre-match: Revs @ LA, 3/31

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 27, 2012.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does Montreal's keeper have to do with this game? ;)

Given that Tierney was part of the shut out last week, I'd guess that Heaps rewards him with another start, and Barnes stays on the bench for Lechner.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Barnes sits this one out, listed as doubtful.
    [lineup-4-5-1] Senne, Nguyen, Guy, Simms, Joseph, Rowe, Tierney, Soares, Lechner, Alston, Reis[/lineup-4-5-1]
    Simms will tuck behind Shalrie and Rowe. Guy and Rowe will interchange all game

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnes is questionable. Not doubtful.

If he can go, and I think he can he will start. I think McCarthy would be second choice after Barnes.

Lechner is more of a full back and has only seen time at center back in very limited instances over his career.

That's just my prediction though, Heaps could obviously be thinking something completely different.

I also don't think that Sene is very well utilized in a 4-5-1 but I think you're right that they have to start Rowe, Nguyen, and Guy, especially when the alternative is a 4-4-2 with Brettschneider again.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    what time does the injury report come out? if there is a set time at all.

7. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm keeping my season long 1-1 result even for this game...

umm..unless LA scores 3 goals in the first 20 min...Then I'm revising to 3-3!! I wish!! =)

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably because we've only looked half decent in one of three games. I think there's a decent chance we get a result against LA w/o Donovan, only then will people start paying attention.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the kind of trap game where the Revs might get a point(s).
    I wouldn't bet on it but we usually play well in LA. Key will be a tight, solid defensive effort.

GO REVS

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yeah, kind of funny, isn't it?
    He makes a picture perfect pass setting up the winning and only goal and is part of a back line that throws a shutout. In an un-biased world, both would be pretty significant contributions.
    We already know it's not an anomoly - he's delivered plenty of fine crosses.

The problem is that he's much more suited to wing, where he'll get more crosses and he's better suited to his defensive role, than he is on defense. He's a backup defender whose playing there because of injuries/lack of depth.
    Possibly. Alston is a fine 1v1 defender, but I really worry on back post crosses to his side.
    If Arena is that over-confident after no being able to beat us out there last year, then he's a bigger fool than I thought.

But, I forgot. It was the rain that saved the Revs in LA. :rolleyes:
    I don't think reward has anything to do with it. I think Heaps is going to start whoever he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

I think Lechner starts at left back and Tierney subs in for him, or at left wing.
    Possibly, but I'm not sure McCarthy isn't ahead of Barnes. McCarthy is a better passer (not saying a whole lot!), he's a better open-field defender and is bigger and stronger and more physical. Barnes does have the advantage of experience though.

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have solved world hunger while he was out there and he still would have sucked. When you pass the ball to the other team, you suck in my book.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus Tierney is sloooowwwwww. He's a dial-up defender in a league of DSL attackers.

14. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are really in pre-season gelling and understanding wise. We haven't even played the game Heaps want to play due to missing personnel. The Galaxy are vulnerable, but they are loaded and they would like nothing more than start to get things in gear Sat. What we have going is a New England never say die attitude that makes us a pain to play, and some new elements that could augur a new era for the Revs. Whether any of that comes together or shows itself is anybody's guess. One thing I am looking forward is a seriously more confidant Joseph after his performance last week and what happens with him and the new midfield. Great going into a Galaxy with some things that could come together. And Matt is looking great in goal.

15. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not a defender and talking about his skill in this position makes no sense. He is a guy that can create great chances from the wing. If he sucked at LB, that's probably because Heaps know he needs to be on the field to create at some point depending on how the game unfolds. Turnover machines aren't a rare commodity on the Revs, last time I checked (Nguyen excepted).

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok you're right, he's not a defender and that's probably his best position skill wise because it's abundantly clear he doesn't have the wheels for midfield and rarely creates any worthwhile chances on goal. Yes, he floats in a nice cross here and there every few games but the vast majority of the time Tierney shouldn't be on the field anywhere for the Revs, let alone left mid. That makes absolutely no sense to play him there if we actually want to win more than 5 games this year.

He's a liability anywhere else apart from left back so I'll broaden my description of Tierney for you to being too slooooowww a player for MLS. There are better players, once they are healthy / cleared to play I hope Jay makes the upgrade.

17. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we agree then. It all depends how valuable Heaps feels his ability to deliver those balls are. You bring him on for that service. No one is arguing he is the best player possible.

18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The big question is, does Heaps rate Tierney? I remember him saying at one point during the offseason that he wanted attacking outside backs. Maybe he really values his crosses/set pieces and is willing to deal with the turnovers?

I still think that Lechner was signed to be our starting left back. I can't imagine we went out and signed a reserve right back when we are so clearly desperate for a starting caliber left back.

19. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. At the very least, Lechner was signed to push Tierney. IMO, Lechner is better at going forward and defending.

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You've seen the guy play? I really hope this is the case, do you know if he's any faster than Tierney?

21. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his commentary last year, Jay strongly preferred Tierney as a mid. Hopefully Lechner is the LB going forward and Tierney is on the bench, where he belongs.

22. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    I don't have a good feeling about this game. Would think something like 2-0 to LA.

Revs have better pieces to work with compared to last year, but they are facing a very good team away on the West Coast. And while I think the individual talent is improved, I think the team is 4+ games away from settling down on what is the strongest starting 11, not to mention it will be even longer before there is strong understanding amongst them. And they do need to bring in some talent at the upper end (a case could be made Shalrie is our strongest player at back, mid, and forward).

For what its worth, if the Revs think Rowe has a bright future, I'd go ahead an have him as a starter as long as he is working hard in practice. I think playing in real MLS games will accelerate his growth.

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. The revs are crazy not to start Rowe. You can't develop on the bench.

24. windylove

windylove Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

You're right. Tierney 's not a LB defender. I feel like he play midfield role at LB position. I mean it's ok to do that, but you can't afford that many turnovers at LB or RB as a defender. Alston has speed and good at 1 vs 1, but like Tierney he has many incompleted passes. I think as a LB/RB players, they just need to make many simple passes. Look for your open midfield players, pass the ball back to the CB players, goal keeper or even kick the ball off the sidelines to limit those turnover. It's an idea, no offend here.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the biggest wrongly assumed fact on this forum. Alston regularly complete's 70% of his passes. Tierney, however, often struggles to complete 50%.

Against Portland, they were pretty close (both around 60%), but if you go back and look at past results, you'll see that Alston is a significantly more possessive player.