News: Revs in Rochester [2014]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Mar 13, 2014.

1. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 bwidell, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    Revs in Rochester:
    GK, Louis Soffner
    MF, Alec Sundly
    D, Jossimar Sanchez​

Rhinos schedule:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Dayton Dutch Lions (why don't they just call them "Leuven?") don't even know where they are playing a month before the season starts?

4. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more spots to fill. The question, to me, is whether Mullins or Neumann goes. Normally I'd say no, but I really worry about where their minutes are going to come from. Since Sene is a bit unexpectedly back, and Nguyen is not far away, I just don't see Mullins or Neumann playing much outside of USOC games. Generally top draft picks will get kept with the first team, but since the Revs got two high picks, I think probably one of them ought to go to Rochester -- probably Neumann, since, to judge from the sample of one game, Mullins is farther along.

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Jossimar Sanchez?

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm guessing "ESPN Wide World of Sports" is a place, not a show?

I think WWoS is where I saw my first soccer game: something like Leeds v. Arsenal IIRC. Even before I started watching "Soccer Made in Germany" or saw Pele and Santos take on Lazio in NJ in '73.
    I don't expect Sene is going to be ready for 90 minutes for a while yet, so Heaps is probably going to be conservative on that for now.

Mullins just started, so I don't see him being shipped off, even if he doesn't continue to start. I agree Neumann is a fairly likely guess, but, at any rate, the contingent is supposed to be somewhat dynamic - at least more so than last year.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's a small stadium/training complex in Orlando. MLS has had games and training camps there in the past. I think it used to be called Disney-something-or-other, but it's probably a good size for a NASL team.

I dunno for sure, but I'd guess that the place probably wasn't built in 1973. That's about the time Disney World/Epcot opened, and it wasn't until after that that a lot of the other development in the area took off. From what I recall, Orlando was just a sleepy town of little consequence up until the 60s or so. And now, it's an over-developed strip-mall and theme park laden hellhole, but hey, they have their own NBA team and their new MLS team will be starting soon.

8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Wide_World_of_Sports_Complex

9. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    "Wild World of Mostly Baseball Complex"

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Toby Charles!! Thats how I became a Bayern Munich fan and German National Team fan

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite your tongue! Borussia Moechengladback were the team! None of those Bayern guys could hold a candle to Gunter Netzer!

12. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #12 Chowda, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    The Dutchlions have played at 2-3 different high school stadiums. Maybe there is an intensive bidding war going on in smokey back rooms?

Their owner has plans for a unique urban SSS. I don't think Dayton has plans for a unique urban SSS.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 firstshirt, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    Gerd Muller and that dude they called "Der Kaiser" Beckenbaur....Rummenege was not too bad either

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Moechengladback. Best team name, by far.
    Karl-Heinz Rummenege - best player name.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna buy the scarf, but it cost a lot more than the other teams. The thing was like 15 feet long, just to fit the name on it!

I said this earlier, but I saw a great documentary on the 50 years of the Bundesliga when I flew over there on Lufthansa in September. They only had the 60s and 70s decades, but I watched the 70s episode 4 different times, it was that good!

Oh, if you like 'gladbach, you'll be happy to know my favorite new German word: Staubsaukerbuitelbefistiger. It is one word for a hook that holds a bag in place on a vacuum cleaner! Leave it to the Germans to come up with something like that!

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction: the other 2 players going to Rochester are not on the Revs roster yet.

ktsd repped this.
  18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the most accurate. Sending Mullins (especially) and Neumann (less so) would be a disappointment. If you're a top 5 pick, when healthy you need to make the 18 game day roster.

19. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Besides, these are two of the "impact" players acquired in the off-season! They will raise the team to the next level - Can't do that from Rochester.

It's depressing how I too believe NFLPatriot is correct. Well... we got these open spots, and we have to send players to Rochester. So, we fill them with any warm bodies and send them off. Plus, it'll be cheap - Win!

20. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm sure it will never happen, but I wish we could send Caldwell to Rochester, to work on his game for a while. This would require signing a starting level DM of course, so no, I'm not holding my breath.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, they were waiting to finalize this deal:
    Dayton Dutch Lions, West Carrollton expand partnership with new turf
    By Alexa Ashwell
    Published: Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 12:38 pm

22. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Nice of Rochester to mention that Jossimar Sanchez played for them today. I guess our team didn't feel the need to share that he was headed there. Rochester drew 1-1 with Ottawa. Soffner played as well.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ancient Chinese Secret. You can't be too careful, Vancouver might get wind of one of our player moves, and this way they will still be prepping to face a player who won't be in the lineup.

24. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rochester Rhinos closed out their preseason schedule with a 3:0 victory over Montreal Impact Reserves in Sahlen's Stadium on Saturday, March 29th 2014. Rookie attacking midfielder Minh Vu, fourth year midfielder JC Banks, and newcomer Alex Dixon scored goals for the Rhinos. New England Revolution goalkeeper Luis Soffner and rookie John McCarthy split time in goal and combined for the shutout.

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/news/?article_id=448
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com...win-over-montreal-to-close-preseason/7060737/

NFLPatriot repped this.