Revs @ Houston, Season Opener 3/8/14

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 20, 2013.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the team should handle potential suspensions for violent conduct in non-official matches, not the league. That's what I'm used to, and I think it makes sense.

rkupp repped this.
  2. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    How long will this too-big collection of injuries prevent the full "core" from getting on the field, and how many points will it cost in the standings...

...do Revs end up in a standings "hole" before they even begin to get traction?

Hope all/most are very short term.

Crooked repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's like your boss, rather than your employer suspending you for fighting with your co-worker. The company still has a vested interest that this does not happen again, so they're going to take action.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and I disagree with that policy.

5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He's right. Some of his reds were deserved, but not all. And, he did much better staying out of trouble later in the season.

As for the "tussle in Tucson", after watching it, I didn't think he actually stomped on the guy - and that was after the other guy kicked out at him from the ground. I think the ref gave them matching reds because it was late in a wet, meaningless preseason game; i.e., just so they wouldn't cause any more problems. Maybe someone got a better look, but from the live view, I thought Imbongo got a tough call.

CatKeelan repped this.
  7. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is everyone watching?

8. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Interesting. Kyle McCarthy saying Imbongo has not been suspended and will be available this weekend.

9. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Interesting, indeed. Heaps and Burns were very clear and explicit last night about his 2 game suspension. Maybe they appealed the decision and won...

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone worried about the referee situation? I'm not sure what the fall-back plan is. Do the teams self-referee? Does Jay get out there?

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11th hour agreement ?

12. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    As of yesterday they were reportedly $400K apart in discussions. My guess is it gets done tomorrow early enough for officials to make flights wherever they're going.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Ask Garner q&a earlier this week he said they have a contingency plan in place and seemed confident the show would go on. Maybe replacement MLS refs will be better? Not sure they could be much worse...they could keep negotiating until one bad obvious call impacts the result of a game and the league ponies up the dough and an agreement is reached (like the NFL).

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given all the atrocious referee calls we saw last year, I can't imagine what it would be like if they brought in guys who were somehow not considered good enough to be an MLS ref.

15. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    If the current refs didn't produce so many game-altering moments of stupidity, then I imagine their bargaining position might be a little better in all this. MLS is probably thinking there's only a small risk that the games could be refereed worse than in the past.

rkupp repped this.
  16. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    They also probably understand that regardless of how they quantify the risk, there is still a possibility the actual realized risk (the actual incurred impact) could instead be large -- and MLS is apparently willing to accept that outcome.

Screwing up some games early on, possibly affecting playoff standings later on -- those seem to be much smaller considerations for MLS, as compared to referee payscale and other issues wound up in the lockout.

While not reading too too much into it, it does say something about MLS and how it sets priorities around things like the quality of the games.

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    As much as we focus on 2013 ref blunders, we may be horrified to see how much worse things can get. If we have replacement refs who have never reffed games which move at MLS pace, a number of games this weekend may be decided by errors.

18. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Ramon Hernandez will be doing the Revs match. He's reffed MLS games for awhile, so not a big deal. 4 yellows/match. 7 matches/red card. 4 matches/penalty.

19. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the crew for tomorrow night:

Houston Dynamo vs. New England Revolution, Saturday, 8:30 pm ET
    Ramon Hernandez – Former MLS Referee
    Isreal Fernandez – MLS Preseason
    Marcos de Oliveira – MLS Preseason, NASL

I've heard that they do have Fourth Officials booked, but haven't named them.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ordered Direct Kick. Pumped.

22. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reminds me this call:

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this rate, well be dressing the academy.

I still can't help but wonder the connection between all these muscle strains and stress XXX and practicing/playing on turf

On another note... more NAT games announced, none in New England. All we ever get any more are the Ka Ching games

25. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New song; it has been decided