Revs Girls...?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Feb 5, 2014.

?

Revs Girls -- Keep Them? Get Rid Of Them? Indifferent?

1. Keep Them, They're Great!

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I just don't care about the RevsGirls either way.... (But just enough to vote in this poll)

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Shouldn't they just be part of the existing "street team", the Revs Battalion

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Get Rid Of Them - No other MLS team has this sort of thing; it's MLS 1.0

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Get Rid of Them - No Point to Them At All

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Get Rid Of Them-The RevsGirl concept is inappropriate, offensive, or uncomfortable for too many fans

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Sorry, but that's a cop-out.

"[A]ttractive AND articulate" women exist. In fact, "attractive AND articulate" women who are knowledgeable and passionate about the sport of soccer exist.

In fact, I daresay that "attractive AND articulate" women who are knowledgeable and passionate about the sport of soccer AND would be interested in serving as a brand ambassador for the New England Revolution exist. Or, at least they would have been before Revolution management sullied the idea of being one of the team's promotional ambassadors with the half-assed Rev Girls initiative.

The real question that bears asking is whether the New England Revolution ever thought it was worth the extra time and effort necessary to set out to find truly "attractive AND articulate" women who are knowledgeable and passionate about the sport of soccer?

I'll concede that the screening process that the New England Revolution would have had to engage in in order to build a team comprised of such women would have been more time-consuming and labor-intensive than simply placing an ad seeking members for the Rev Girls. And properly engaging in such a screening process wouldn't have allowed the Revolution to play to the lecher crowd with "Rev Girl Search Final" dates - what amount to beauty pageants - at local bars.

So, instead, the folks operating New England's Major League Soccer franchise settled for "friendly, pleasant, hard working and somewhat pretty" (Ouch... that's a ringing endorsement) women who are kind of-sort of knowledgeable about soccer and the Revolution.

Yet another example of Revolution management's philosophy that so long as you set the bar at a middling height, you'll always exceed your goals... or, at least come close... some of the time... sort of.

RevsLiverpool, patfan1 and LongDuckDong repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disagreement from me. I'm just looking for a small step to start. ;)

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we discuss the Rev Girls, this marketing ... is more than the Revs have ever been creative enough to do.

4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, to crystallize the arguments: The "Revs Girls" concept is one that a good number of people find insulting to women, but they serve a marketing purpose. Now the question becomes "Can that marketing purpose be achieved in any other manner besides attractive women in jerseys from 4 years ago, black (BLACK!) bicycle shorts, and the wrong socks?" If such goals can be achieved in another way, there's hardly a good reason to keep them. If it can't, then we need to make a value judgment as to whether the marketing is worth it.

Assuming, arguendo, that the Rev Girls (or, is it Revs Girls) achieve a unique marketing role, I'm still going to say ditch them for the simple reason that I have been to games at Gillette. It is an objective fact that Kraft Soccer's marketing strategy is failing.

Don't get me wrong, I like looking at scantily-clad attractive women, too. I also like free nachos. But the Rev(s) Girls should go the way of Hispanic Heritage Night.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    no reason why the Revs can't hire attractive people (of both genders) who are passionate about soccer and the Revs, and able to talk about soccer articulately, and title them PR associates. They'd do everything the Revs Girls do other than alienate a sizable chunk of fans (and potential fans) and wear spandex.

Revs in 2010 and Brian in Boston repped this.
  6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Rebecca Lowe, isn't walking through that door anytime soon. :D

7. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    BINGO!!!

Put these attractively-fit, articulate, outgoing, soccer-savvy Revolution brand ambassadors in a current team jersey and/or training top, sideline jacket, etc. Pair said top with khaki shorts (if team management feels that the promotional ambassadors' toned, soccer-playing legs are a crucial component of marketing efforts), or a pair of clean, well-kept jeans. Have them engage in outreach at all of the locations and events that Rev Girls currently frequent.

It isn't difficult. It just requires a little extra effort to screen candidates in order to assure their knowledge of, and passion for, both soccer and the Revolution.

Oh, wait. Given that Revolution management's soccer knowledge and passion for the product they're selling are open to debate, asking these people to screen promotional ambassadors for the selfsame qualities is likely difficult - if not nigh on impossible - for them.

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really buy into the sexist stuff, but as a marketing tactic it's questionably effective. Consider these women on par with booth babes from major business events - it's a tactic that's been used forever but has proven to not work.

Therefore, if it's not working, the revs need to shift their thinking. I believe the rev girls would be a lot more effective if a) they dressed more conservatively and b) they could hold a halfway intelligent conversation about the revs/MLS.

Do those two things and they'd likely be as successful as they are today, if not more, and would fit in better with traditional thinking New Englanders who get alienated by attractive women.

9. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally find the idea of hiring a bunch of attractive women to make someone watch a sporting event kind of stupid but I understand that sex sells and all that crap.

What I'm more bothered by is the application. They have these Revs Girl nights at places that are completely ridiculous. The old Rev Rock Bar was a place where young people go to dance and hook up. It's a club.

If someone goes to Rev Rock Bar and sees the Revs Girls he isn't going to think, man, those Revs Girls were hot, I want to see them again, I'll go to Gillette!

That same shallow person will think, man, that place Rev Rock Bar had hot girls. I'm going to go back there.

The marketing is so poor and this is one of the few recognizable ways you can witness it happening. There are so many people in the soccer community that are already predisposed to having an interest in a local soccer team that to bypass them to try and court the "trendy" club goers of Boston's "trendy" club scene is incredibly stupid.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither team has taken the field (in MLS anyway), and yet Miami and Orlando already have more of a rivalry than the Revs have with any MLS team. :(

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll ask you, but if anyone knows ... any help would be appreciated. Do the Revs Girls go out to the Banshee on Saturday mornings for EPL games? Catch some of the people that actually like the game?

12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never seen them at any bar I've ever been to on a Saturday morning.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen them at the Banshee when I've gone for a few Everton matches in the morning. But I admit, I don't go into town as often as others ... which is why I was asking.

14. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    gross generalization: on Saturday morning they are all likely nursing their hangover's from going clubbing Friday night. bottle full of 'bub.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's still somewhat hypocritical. If hiring based on attractiveness is unethical, then hiring both sexes on a similar basis is too. Just equitable exploitation.

And, having them knowledgeable about soccer sounds good, but the reality is they aren't being hired for their soccer knowledge. If they were, I suspect a lot of people wouldn't be so happy with the selections. And, do we really want the team hiring people to talk soccer with fans? Sounds kind of silly - most of us already know plenty of people to talk soccer with. Just not that attractive. :p
    What about demo dollies? ;)
    Really? Is it really our secret desire to have some good soccer talk with non-attractive women?

---------

There are elements of the local media that notice attractive women associated with sports teams. That's why an event is more likely to draw some publicity when the Rev Girls are involved. It creates a little more buzz in the media.

I think it's kind of silly to think they should be dressed more conservatively (they already are!) or be more knowledgeable about soccer. They are there to be nice to look at. And, if someone feels the need to be outraged by that shallow, exploitative and sexist comment, then IMO they should start with the most serious offenders, not the least. Let's set up a protest outside of the Golden Banana. :rolleyes:

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding? Yes, of course yes. How the hell do you market a product if you don't know squat about it? Excluding our head of marketing, of course.
    This isn't for us. The whole point is to bring in other people, not the die-hards they already have.

If these people work for the team, they should be able to speak about the team. I don't need the discussing formations and strategies with potential customers. But knowing more than 2/3 players on the team, knowing upcoming games, knowing who the coach/star is ... wouldn't hurt. And yes, I've been told that all of those have been problems. They don't need to know the intricacies of who the Revs are and what they do ... they do need to know the simple facts.

Crooked and huskydeac repped this.
  17. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the best MLS off-season threads I've landed on. I laughed out loud several times.
    FC Dallas has "FC Dallas Girls" who I think have also been called "promotion girls." Sounds like they do about the same things as Revs Girls. Several years ago FCD had "FC Dallas Dancers" who danced on the side of the field during the game and on the field during halftime.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #93 firstshirt, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    and how many FC Dallas fans had sticks up their butts over it? Poor bastards had these girls pimping their team for them. Poor girl in the back ground will probably never be the same after seeing these girls. probably never go to college and end up swinging on a pole[​IMG]:cool:

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I'm pretty sure companies like the Gallup Organization, Harris Interactive, and Zogby Analytics are looking to hire college graduates.

;)

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure what you are talking about "end up swinging on a pole" :D

21. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they have the right socks

22. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I elicited the change in spelling that I desired.

:p

23. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen them at the Banshee for Revs games, pub tours, and other Revs related events. Never just for the Premier League. I think when they first started they went to the Landing for some early morning soccer but haven't heard about that since.

They don't go to Parlor because Parlor refused to pay $1,000 or whatever to become an "official" Revs bar.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you get this from (besides your imagination)? I suggested Rev Girls dress more conservatively - think non-midriff baring, business casual outfit that any marketing/business employee might wear to a customer-facing networking event. Then, educate them on the team, its players, schedule, and MLS. Very simple. In terms of looks, never said anything about dropping their standards! :D

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - I talked to one at the Banshee and was supposedly signed up for some Rev mailing list. She did a shitty job passing along my data because I never recall getting anything.