Revs Girls...?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Feb 5, 2014.

?

Revs Girls -- Keep Them? Get Rid Of Them? Indifferent?

1. Keep Them, They're Great!

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I just don't care about the RevsGirls either way.... (But just enough to vote in this poll)

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Shouldn't they just be part of the existing "street team", the Revs Battalion

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Get Rid Of Them - No other MLS team has this sort of thing; it's MLS 1.0

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Get Rid of Them - No Point to Them At All

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Get Rid Of Them-The RevsGirl concept is inappropriate, offensive, or uncomfortable for too many fans

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    [​IMG]

RIP in peace Ft. Lauderdale Striker Girls

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was the Revs boys and girls, then it wouldn't be sexist.

And yes, a lot of advertising is sexist, no question. The fact that it's so prevalent doesn't make it "not sexist," obviously.

a517dogg repped this.
  4. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was Rev Boys and Girls, it wouldn't be sexist, but it would still be incredibly stupid.

revsrock and patfan1 repped this.
  5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very true, which is why they should just scrap the whole thing. I don't mind having a promotional team with some attractive people, but having "rev girls" is just stupid.

6. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this might be relevant to the conversation

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    off topic but I noticed this on the Revs link
    TBA Color Analyst
    Looks like Feldman has to break in another partner

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    [​IMG]

Achowat and firstshirt repped this.
  9. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I also voted keep them.

I'll echo the need for marketing and the fact that this group is a huge part of it (if not most) means they MUST stay. The group can even grow and mature along with the rest of the orgainzation as the owners become more serious about their overall product over the years and years and years. OK... really. Still holding my breath on that.

But I think the Revs Girls represent one of the Revs first baby steps in developing some sort of brand or presence. Don't blame them that the entire organization has _still_ not learned how to walk!

10. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 Mike Marshall, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Maybe I'm sensitive because I have two daughters, but...
    • I don't like that the name refers to a large group of grown up women as "girls".
    • If it's not sexist, why are there only women? (I know other companies use women... that doesn't make it OK)
    • What's up with the Revolution jerseys with the collars that hint at cleavage?
    • Bicycle shorts?
    They're primarily employed to be ogled. The whole concept tells women that they're not good/smart enough to talk to men about soccer without using their sexuality, and it tells men that they primarily use their penises to make purchasing decisions.

But sure... what the hell is offensive about that, huh?

RevsLiverpool, a517dogg, KapeGuy and 4 others repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care about the Rev Girls, but if they can go to bars and wink at a guy and get him at least possibly interested in the team, why not?

My main beef is that if you are going to do something, anything, put in the effort to do it well! I was at the Providence zoo last year on a saturday and the Revs were playing away that night in one of several "must win" games late in the season. The Rev Girls were there and I said something along the lines of acknowleging that it was a big game tonight, and asked her if she thought they'd win. That's only a "gotcha" question if your name is Sarah Palin, but she just had a confused puzzled look on her face. At least Slyde nodded his head yes and gave the thumbs-up and my daughter (age 6) a high-five, so he was doing his part.

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I have standards of morality. I'd rather loose with honesty and dignity than win with sleazy tactics.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with it or not it sounds like some of you want to deny these girls something they choose to do because you feel they should not do it or think they are to dumb to know what is best for them. I could give a rats ass if they have the Revs girls or not but who are we to judge them or the Revs for running this. This thread is as much BS as the stadium thread

revsrock and patfan1 repped this.
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How exactly are the Revs losing? Do the Pats lose with their cheerleaders? The Celtics? The Bruins? It's a part of sports, and while I really don't care about it, it's not that huge a deal. No one is making the girls try out for this, they're choosing to do so.

15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about the women that are cheerleaders or dancers, it's about the little girls in the stands. What are we subliminally telling girls when they sit down to watch sports and the men are playing while the girls dance around on the sideline?

a517dogg repped this.
  16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my God, won't anyone think of the children!

Next season when the Pats are on, I hope every single mom/dad puts a blindfold on their daughter's eyes so they don't see the cheerleaders. Or the Bruins shouldn't be watched, due to the Ice Girls. And the daughters shouldn't be allowed to go to high school football games, because there's cheerleaders there.

This got to be a really silly argument on Twitter (which I thankfully mostly stayed out of) and now it's getting silly here.

Or ... maybe you can just have the parents sit down and talk to their daughters and explain to them why the girls aren't playing in the NFL? Or how there are girls sports leagues out there for them to aim for? Or how there's a million things they can do, just like boys?

17. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The females on the Revs girls chose to do this, it is not forced. They get paid.

18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because these institutions exist, it doesn't make them right. If you lived in 1840 in Georgia and all your neighbors had slaves, would you assume that slavery was hunkydory? I mean, that basically makes slavery a-OK, right? Everyone else is doing it! :rolleyes:

That's certainly a start.

19. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99% of the time I see the Revs Girls they are walking around talking to fans. taking pictures with little girls and boys.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes it OK, how?

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this gets better. We're now equating the Revs girl situation with slavery.

22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, just using a basic analogy to illustrate the point that just because something is wide spread, doesn't make it defensible.

Whatever, I'll take my analogy over your strawman.

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Since someone brought slavery into the discussion and I think an N-Bomb was dropped, I first heard of the Bush Doctrine two years before the Bush Doctrine that ABC guy was referring to was first penned.

And Hitler would have terminated the Rev Girls.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

25. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Revs Girls forced to take the job?