Revs @ DCU 4/5 7:00pm ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Mar 31, 2014.

1. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I've seen a lot of MLS "action" this year, and I've come to the belief that there are four really bad teams in the East: NERevs, DC, Chicago, and Montreal. New York is a little better than those four. If the Revs don't find a striker, they'll never break away from this pack of less-than-mediocre soccer teams.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what that means? Another high draft pick in 2015! OHHH YEAH!!!!!

3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Mullins!? Hooray!

4. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Revs don't have 1st round pick! KC will get a high pick

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KCIASB team

Achowat repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for more rookies that won't contribute jack! Kind of amazing when we compare Mullins to Farrell or Rowe in terms of being ready to step right in and fill a need. Twellman he ain't.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, I forgot about that.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Parkhurst looked pretty good playing left back for the Nats, just saying.

And yes, I know it doesn't make sense to spend $700K on 2 defenders. Unless of course, you are incapable of spending that money on anything else. But who could have known that would be the case way back in January, right?

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, the Revs had 2 goals in their first six games. Good thing Heaps learns from his mistakes, right?

Juan Agudelo was acquired on May 7th. The Revs were 2-3-3 with 4 GF, 6 GA when that happened.

The transfer window is open until May 12th this year. That means only five more games we have to suffer with this anemic offense...

10. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Parkhurst didn't want to come here, so I have no qualms with the FO dealing him. It was the right decision for that situation, and I don't think the cost ever even came into the conversation, so I wish we could just drop that conversation.

However, I have numerous, enormous qualms regarding why that situation exists - the fact that the Revs are known a team that players don't want to play for. I really would love to sit down and listen to them give an honest explanation of this phenomenon, as well as hear them explain why a former player, who was loved by the fans, and who is from the area, not only didn't want to come here, but also seemed to feel so comfortable with saying that publicly, rather than giving one of those "it just didn't work out with the Revs" kind of answers. No offense to them, but Columbus is hardly one of those big cities people would love to play in, like LA, NY, Chicago, or one of the smaller destination cities in MLS like Portland and Seattle, and perhaps Toronto now. Generally if a player says he doesn't want to play for a certain team, when he next visits that team's stadium, he'd get abused by the fans all game, but I'm betting the welcome for Parkhurst won't be a frosty one.

NFLPatriot, bwidell and patfan1 repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with all of this. Including that the Parkhurst situation has to be moved on from.

bwidell repped this.
  12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I had already paid for my flight to DC for this match, but decided to stay home and watch my UConn Huskies in the Final Four at the last minute. What a great decision.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all well and good for fanboys to have that view. I understand the temptation to be blindly optimistic about your team's chances at the start of the year. But the really troubling thing is that it looks like Burns and Heaps have bought into this as well, and believed we were a lot better than we really were. Juan Agudelo was the catalyst that sparked the team and, well, he was never going to be here very long anyway. OK, so we got a couple of draft picks who may end up becoming promising players in a year or two. Yay. And we got Agudelo's replacement, Charlie Davies and or Teal Bunbury, who each are about half as good as Agudelo was.

yay. Huzzah for Burns, the architecht of the MLS Budget Champs.

14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Because fans know that making the playoffs is really really meaningful....

...in order to increase group tickets sales to youth soccer. Get your kicks!

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the KAD's will tell me it's too early to panic. But losing to a team that hasn't won since last August and hasn't shut out anyone since July, should raise some red flags.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KAD responses:
    "But, they were due..."
    "But, they won the USOC so they are better than their record..."
    "But the ref missed some calls"
    "But we didn't have Kelyn Rowe"
    "The revs need time to gel, it's only April"
    "The revs started slow last year and we made the playoffs"
    [or enter excuse I didn't think of]

Sigh.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot that they're tired.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jet lag. From San Jose to the East Coast is a long series of flights. Vegas, Dallas, Atlanta and finally Boston in a day can take a lot out of you.

20. TheMightyRevs

TheMightyRevs Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Ma
    Don't know if this has been mentioned.

I had my normal DVR set for the normal game time Saturday not knowing the Celtics were on instead. So I wait until sunday to watch the replay recording of the game and at the very beginning they had a news cast overflowing into the revs slot time, and they were showing highlights of the revs game that was about to be on revealing the score.

Nice work.

21. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the exact same thing happen. Really annoying. :mad:

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ingenious way to kill ratings & drive fans away - they get points for creative stupidity

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Its always too soon to panic. Since when has panicking ever helped?
    Just one excuse. Our shots kept missing the target. ;)

What concerns me is that Goncalves had a 2nd head up his butt game - after seeming to return to form.

The own goal was the only one to really burn us, but I was alarmed by some really sloppy touches right from the start from him.

And the OG was totally unnecessary. He tried to be much more clever than he needed to - volleying that ball out with the outside of his left boot would have been an elegant play, but clearly not the safest/smartest.
    Those delayed broadcasts (on CSN, at least) always show the latest scores on the scroller, so this is nothing new.

24. TheMightyRevs

TheMightyRevs Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Ma
    Did I say anything about a scroller? This was an actual newscast with highlights of the game and the score that went into the beginning of the revs time slot.. So, yes this was new....and annoying.

25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #125 Cannons, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    I think we need to rub that bone headed move in as much as possible. It doesnt matter if he want to come here or not. Do draft picks have that choice?

Parky was not an isolated incident. As soon as players get good they want to get out of here and get paid. That is a problem. Parky, having been here before, knows full well how cheap the FO is and that, more than anything, is probably why he didnt want to come. That and maybe he wanted to play for a team with some kind of shot. We have none.... again