News: Revs claim midfielder and club legend Shalrie Joseph off waivers

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Apr 22, 2014.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly!

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is having a problem signing Shalrie. I, and a few others have been arguing that they should have filled the roster, whether with some young kid, or a guy like Joseph, who might have something left in the tank. Just don't have empty spots on the roster, even if the guy isn't going to play much.

I think the frustration comes from the fact that the team has known about these holes for a long time, "promised" to fill them, and then done absolutely nothing. The only new players this year are draft picks or players who were discarded by other teams. Bunbury was the highest profile player, and it seems clear that he doesn't fit in the roley he is being asked to play.

I can't possibly envision a more dramatic failure when it comes to off-season aquisitions. Oh, but the transfer window is still open, so I am sure they will sign someone, right?

pwykes and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    This signing sure doesn't buy Jay any air cover at all, either in terms of game-day-tactics nor season-roster-building. But it is chock full of "good will" -- so it will surely hoodwink many uninformed consumers into forgetting the unpleasant facts about ownership that may still linger in the public's consciousness (if anyone still remembers) from the Boston Mag article.

Did Heaps really want this acquisition? Or was the FO the prime mover? Or, although unlikely, but not impossible, was it ownership?

Count me as one who will not be surprised if Shalrie gets minutes this week, even though it is popular opinion here, and on Twitter, that he cannot add anything on the field at this point. Trotting him out on the pitch won't likely be a decision made strictly relative to in-game tactics. It will likely be pre-made, for other considerations -- some balance sheet-related, income statement-related, and ticket sales-related.

Love Shalrie. This signing of Shalrie, not as much.

KaptPowers repped this.
  4. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Hah! Any paint leftover from the clubroom doors? Need to slap a logo on that bad boy.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I understand that frustration (and share it), but why should they be linked? I haven't heard anyone from the Revs suggest that this signing is one of the two they were looking to do.

When I cite the negativity, it isn't to suggest that there aren't things to be criticized. It's more that anything the Revs do (positive, neutral, small, big, whatever), it always seems to resurrect the same criticisms that have already been repeated many times.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if this signing isn't one of the two, then they need to cut someone.

7. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least all the Keepers are safe.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it one senior roster spot still open now? Or now that Donnie Smith is with the Winos does that make two?

So when we sign two World Cup stars, will someone have to go packing?

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're at 29 players now, including the four loaned to the Rhinos. We have one spot open.

10. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the benefits of his return is that he was one of the best players that the Revs ever had in the air on set pieces. We could certainly use the help in that department.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That only helps if he sees the field. It will be interesting to see how much time he actually gets.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every player on the team is on the depth chart behind Chris Tierney! :D

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that you all dream of a team of Chris Tyranny?

14. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with others who have predicted at least a cameo appearance soon. Maybe he can be the talisman who leads us to our second USOC. :)

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!! :) Actually, no, not at all. I think it's Heapsie who wants a team of Tierney!

17. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    That's the big problem with the Revs management. Year after year, the same criticisms are made. Year after year, they're still valid.

18. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But when one fully understands, and reminds themselves often of Kraft's austere and openly articulated business model, the daily frustration is better managed. Let me be clear though that I hate his business model. It sucks. I wish it were different. I wish he were passionate. But, he is only interested in the Revs from an investment standpoint and them staying in the black, no matter how miserly he needs to run the team to make that happen. That's the reality. We, as supporters, either accept that and still support, or we don't accept it and find another hobby. The Revs are a veal calf of an organization. I guess Kraft has unyielding business practices where he won't slide money over from one if his highly profitable ventures to expedite the success of another less profitable venture. That makes it even more frustrating, knowing the resources are there, but will not be tapped. So I support the team, because -for now- they are the best Soccer team in New England. I live with the frustrations. But it doesn't mean I also don't enjoy being a supporter. I know this is true because I'm saddest in the off-season, even though I have Arsenal and the EPL to tide me over.

manoa and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One Tierney to Rule Them All.

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Well, Nicol wasn't any different in that respect. I think he's much more of a coach's player than a fan's player, if that makes any sense (I think it does).

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they may in fact be in the process of doing just that.

23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shalrie just wants to be on a scarf when he retires.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doing just what? Signing someone or cutting someone?

Sene is back training, so it doesn't look like he'll be leaving. There is no point in cutting anyone unless we have TWO new guys to bring in. And of course, there is the usual radio silence on that end. Wasn't there a trialist at practice last week? I guess if he were promising we would have heard about him by now, so it's back to the old drawing board again...

Seriously, we talk about sacking Burns all the time on this board, but can even the thirstiest Kool-Aid Drinker make a justification for him to keep his job, unless he signs a starting quality player within the next month?

The minute they aquired him, they knew that Agudelo was a rent-a-player who would need to be replaced. They also identified a DM as a key position, and Burns has not brought in a significant player for either position. He has publicly said that they are still "trying" and have "plenty" of money to spend. He has had the better part of a year to strenghten the team and has not been able to do it.

Time to cut him loose and bring in someone else who can.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Window actually closes May 12th... so he has less than 2 weeks.