News: Revs claim midfielder and club legend Shalrie Joseph off waivers

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I hope Shalrie's mobility vehicle has both a turtle and a rabbit mode.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is one of those one-day contract things so he can retire as a Rev.

Right?

Right?

If the Revs are looking to loan him out, I think he would be hugely beneficial to Mass United FC this year in whatever new league they are in this year. @Achowat

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome back Shalrie (one of my favorite revs all time). If we have any depth at all or the coaching staff has common sense, you won't see the field this season.

4. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    It is good to see that the Revs took their time, and then more time, and then a little more, all the while being very cautious to research the target player's background -- to make sure they got the right player.

I'm sure it also took that long in part because it most likely was a very delicate negotiation:
    a.) to ensure that the Revs outsmarted/outbid any of the others who were courting him; and
    b.) that their target player didn't "spit the hook" once the Revs had him in their sights.

Way to get 'er done, Revs.

That being said, they did just buy themselves a 3rd or 4th emergency option at many spots on the field. I suppose that is passable for optimism, relative to this signing.

5. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that he's been trialing with the team or at least been practicing with the team this season, I really doubt there was much competition to sign him. Since he's an emergency role player, why did the Revs even bother signing him right now? I mean, he's basically been on stand-by all year, but they decide to sign him now?

In terms of the depth chart, I'd say he's probably 3rd at d-mid (Dorman-Caldwell-SJ)
    6th at CB (JoGO-AJ-Farrell-Maca-Barnes-SJ)
    7th at CF (Bunbury-Bengston-Imbongo-Davies-Sene-Mullins-SJ).

6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    5th at keeper? 6th?

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  7. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Khano Smith is the Revs secret weapon.

SamSam repped this.
  8. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's from Jeff Lemieux's twitter. I see no downside to this if that's the case.

bwidell repped this.
  9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody have an idea of what Shalrie will make this year in New England? The google doc from the salary thread has his salary around 250K in Seattle.

10. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this earlier in this thread...
    And combined with this, I'd think it's likely true.

VTSoccerFan repped this.
  11. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I missed that.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm amused by all the "hopefully this is just a 1 day deal where he retires". Shoot, if we're going to go with "hopefully", I'd say hopefully he still has something left in the tank and can help us on the field.
    Maybe because Alston is suspended and JoGo isn't back yet?

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think most people are going with the one day contract thing because they're realistic enough to realize that he has nothing to contribute to this team at this stage in his career.

14. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Once the offseason was done and Seattle was no more an option, my first inclination was to come here and have a conversation with (Revolution coach Jay Heaps) and the guys in charge,” said Joseph, who will take back his old number (21) and locker. “Finally, it worked out to where I’m happy and I’m glad to be back again.”

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/04/welcomed-dorman-captain.html

There's a lot more quotes and insight there, so click the link and give those guys some pageviews. :)

mrt/MLS repped this.
  15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with this. We have open roster spots and he's probably getting the minimum. So, the greatest Rev gets to come back and finish his career here. If he can help in certain situations, it's all gravy.

IRguy, brianzappa, mrt/MLS and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done to whoever the driving force was behind this game changing move. One can only imagine this stellar acquisition should put that person front and center for a massive bonus, a promotion, or both! Congrats.

On the KAD side -- 2012 Revolution SJ bobble heads just increased $3.98 in value! Yeah baby.

-- (rumor has it the Foxborough brain trust is going full out to reacquire Peter Woodring, who will accept Red Robin food vouchers in lieu of salary.)

17. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Robin is indeed a quality product. Peter wood ring up such coinage.

a517dogg repped this.
  18. mefster

mefster Member

Jul 31, 2007
    East Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think folks are overanalyzing this. At the welcome event for STH earlier this year a small kid asked the management whether Shalrie would come back, and they (Burns?) said (paraphrased to the best of my memory) "Well, it would be nice if he could wrap up his career here, and we brought him in a for a look, and he hurt himself, and he is still hurt, but we want to give him every chance to end his career here." People on these boards got bummed when Ralston was let slip quietly into retirement, and Twellman kind of faded away (except for his press conference), and they've said it would be nice to do something for Reis. Now the Revs are doing something for Shalrie. It is what most fans want. So if he fits into the team, both on the field (probably with limited minutes) and in the locker room (i.e., not perceived as a job threat or messing up the chemistry), then as someone said above, what is the downside? Besides, now I can wear my autographed #21 as something besides a historical and honorary artifact again for a few weeks or months.

a517dogg, Brazile, Soccer Doc and 2 others repped this.
  19. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice. thanks for posting this.

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the default position of most posters on this Board is to find fault with anything this franchise does--or with anyone who says that is their default posture. Your post says the reality here very nicely. This signing is a win-win-win. If by some miracle Joseph finds some "game" left in the tanks and can make an on field contribution it will be a bonus. I remember "Merlin" working his magic as a Central Defender well after he was no longer to be a midfielder.

Welcome Home Bully Joseph

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Please explain what a "win-win-win" is and how this qualifies as one.

patfan1 repped this.
  22. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's not that people are upset to see SJ back, it's in no way an anti-Shalrie, we don't like him statement, people's reactions are based more on the bigger picture. The team said in the off-season they had 2 big holes it needed to fill, and they filled one spot with someone who has yet to show he fits for how they want that position to be played, and they didn't get anyone for the other spot, and in fact the spot is now being played by the guy who appeared to be the 2nd choice of who was already on the team. Then the team started the season poorly, fans were hoping the team would react and sign a front line player to help the team now, but instead all they did was make appears to be a mostly sentimental move. Yes, sentimentality is nice, and it was kinda sad to see what happened with those other players, but you also have to remember it's not like those players were pushed out and replaced with better players either.

And then we get lectured about how it's wrong that we were hopeful (which is a kind of positive feeling, isn't it?), and then are disappointed when what we hoped would happen doesn't happen. I can understand chiding people for always trying to find fault, when the Sox were good, had just won a couple of World Series, and people would call talk radio and complain about what a terrible manager Francona is, or if people complain that a team with a good record doesn't play a pleasing enough style, or something like that, but what I just don't get is, even though the team hasn't been a contender for years, even though there's been no movement for years on a stated goal of getting a stadium, and why when people don't meet stated goals they never get held accountable for such things, why we keep getting told that it's people are wrongly negative to point out that stated goals weren't met, and that the team on the field isn't as good as we hoped it would be.

Couldn't it also be said that the default position of some on this board is to say that all criticisms of the team are invalid, over-reactive exaggerations of "reality", and only faulty people would find faults with this team?

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone has said anything bad about SJ. The question is whether or not this really helps the team.

When we talked about doing something for Rally, Twellman, etc ... it wasn't to sign them to play another year. It was to give them the recognition they deserved as the best players that have worn our kit.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49 firstshirt, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    MLS authorized this for Shalrie as they were afraid they might be slapped with a suit for discrimination against the elderly
    [​IMG]
    He will however have to drive a white one for away matches

a517dogg and NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Driving over an opposing players' foot is a yellow card. Unless it's treads up, then it's a red...