News: Revs affiliating with the Rhinos

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the looks of it, there's room for both. The roster thread shows three open spots for salaried players and seven for off-budget players. I'd like to see Kapo and Griffith work out. Kapo would be an expensive salary, but I think Griffith could be had fairly cheap and is eligible for an off-budget spot. That would easily leave enough money left for an impact player, though we'd be out of international spots.

The last few guys on the squad would probably be nobodies who won't stick, but if you carry 4 extra guys every year, you're bound to hit on one of them. Also, you can't pay 30 all-stars with MLS cap rules outside of New York and Los Angeles.

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My issue is that last year we were supposedly at the cap. Won't that be an issue if we intend to carry an additional four players? Mind you we'll also miss out on allocation money for filling all of our empty roster spots.

3. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We use allocation money?

I know we just dropped a few bucks to move up and grab Andrew Farrell. I think we would have had that money available even without the $70,000 we get from leaving those two spots open.

I think its worth the risk if one of those guys ends up being a player like Larentowicz or Wondolowski. I think those types of guys, ones who can develop over time, are the ones who will be sticking around as the 29th or 30th guys. They'll probably play their first minutes in Rochester too.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We use that $70k to pay down salaries. So by filling a 30 man roster it would most likely cost us nearly $200k (four minimum salary players, plus the $70k we're forgoing in allocation money). I'm saying that I hope this doesn't negatively impact our ability to bring in an additional impact player or two.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 17 senior players (18 if Shuttleworth is included) so we can only add 2-3 salary players to the roster at this point.

We have $1.9 million (by the MLSPU) plus Cisse/Dorman/Goncalves's salary on the books. We also freed up a bunch of allocation money that we would have used to pay down Benny's salary. That should leave us $400,000 or more to spend on our remaining 2-3 players.

EDIT: We may have more to work with as well. I read something about transfer fees not counting against the budget anymore for DPs. Not sure if it's true, but that change would free up an additional $200,000 for us this year.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    "The cap is crap"

Revolution909, RevsFanDan and Crooked repped this.
  7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I know it's SKC and Orlando City, Rhinos/Revs, and the third is DC and Richmond. Is there a fourth?

8. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I thought Philly/Harrisburg was rumored, though I'm not sure.

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Correct.

10. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember that even last year, Philadelphia and Harrisburg had some sort of tie. Can't remember what exactly, but it's hard to believe they wouldn't formalize it this year with an affiliation. Actually works out nicely for them, since Harrisburg and Philly are a lot closer geographically than Foxboro and Rochester.

11. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I never felt the MLS Reserve League ever really got off the ground as intended. This new relationship could be beneficial for all teams and development of players overall.

Gives another team to root for too I guess.

The sad part is with the Rhinos why would players ever want to come back to play at Gillette?
    The Rhinos have a very nice SSS and much better fan support overall. The Revs organization is the minor league team in this case.

[​IMG]

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually a pretty cool stadium. Albeit, in a shady part of town. But hey, there's a plus ... the players can go gamble on the horses prior to the games! :D

RevsFanDan repped this.
  13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard from people that I know who live there that they struggle at the gate.

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should familiarize yourself with their more recent history.

Revolution909 repped this.
  15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  16. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we found our soulmates!

17. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I second that! Too bad things aren't what they once were up there.

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I didn't know they were having trouble. Heck, wasn't it just a few years ago that the were being talked about being in the mix to become a MLS franchise?

19. Goalazzo

Goalazzo New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another way the Revs might use these slots is for some of the college talent the Revs' Academy Program has developed, like Scott Caldwell, to be placed there for the summer, with an eye towards furthering their homegrown talent pool.

20. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This move is years overdue. The Reserve League is a fabulous waste of time and money. Reserve players don't play enough and the quality of the games are severely lacking. The Rochester affiliation gives the Revs the benefits of a minor league setup. Players get to play games that matter in contests that count for something in front of fans who care. They get regular work and professional coaching. It will keep players sharp and do a far better job of bringing players along. Baseball and hockey have used this model forever. In fact Spain and Germany use this model in soccer, the main difference being that they own their minor league teams. It's a model that better leverages player development to build your roster, making promotion as viable a choice of filling roster holes as shopping sprees.

We'll see how many MLS teams really want to own their B teams and compete them in USL down the road. I suspect not many will be the answer. Overall it's a more attractive financial proposition not to have to run a second club and it's better for the sport to have teams thriving in cities like Rochester.

Important to remember that this isn't a marriage. Affiliations change all the time in baseball and hockey. If a USL team forms in Springfield or Worcester or Hartford, then the Revs will be able to switch its affiliation to that club.

The main thing is this is the first step in truly sensible top-to-bottom professional soccer across the U.S. and Canada.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Rev DAP players can play in reserve matches and the Rhinos are now affiliated with the Rhinos raises a question: Can the Revolution Empire DAP players play or train with the Rhinos?

Second question

Who do we send to Rochester? Fagundez? Caldwell? Polak? Nyassi?

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would tend to doubt Fagundez or Caldwell or Nyassi, actually.

More likely the rookies (not Farrell) would be my guess.

23. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I'd figure my top 18 and send most everyone else. The Revs can recall players as needed in case of injury or ineffectiveness, provided they keep at four with Rochester at all times.. So it would make sense to keep a large number of players in Rochester getting regular work. In order to fully leverage this setup, the Rhinos should get the absolute best players the Revs aren't using at the moment.

And if Fagundez, Caldwell and Polak aren't going to get steady work with the big team, then it makes sense to send them to Rochester. Your top young talents should be playing, not occupying the bench.

25. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I think there's something to be said for fighting for a spot on the bench. Tough to do that when your coaches can't see you practicing. And I doubt the Revs will send guys to Rochester just for match days.

I'd guess 22 guys or so will be with the full team fighting to make the 18 each match. That leaves you with 8 guys, some of which will be injured players. So 5 or 6 at Rochester sounds about right.