News: Revs affiliating with the Rhinos

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit more details about the potential affiliation with the Rhinos here:

2. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I don't like about this is that the academy players won't be able to play in games with professionals

3. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubting you, but then how were they allowed to play in reserve league games?

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the plus for is our younger players will be ready for the SSS, since the loaned players will finally get to play in one! ;)

Anyway, I asked about this yesterday...

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took me awhile to warm up to the trade off of dumping our Reserve league entrant in favor of this deal---but at this point I like the idea---a lot. The key will be for us to send players with a real upside that Rochester will be glad to have. The fact that we can get them back if necessary because Rev roster needs seals the deal for me. Rochester as a franchise has a rich tradition (even an Open Cup) and a very busy schedule which should provide quality training and playing opportunities.

This will add another layer of interest to whats happening for the lower half of the Rev roster'

I like it. I hope it works out as envisioned for all parties

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LongDuckDong repped this.
  8. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mixed feelings. In the past the Revs have had lots of trouble finding 11 healthy and available players to play reserve games, but they always had at least 7 or 8 players getting some playing time in the reserves league. Now it looks like they will have at most 4 non-starters available for selection by Rochester but there is no guarantee that Rochester will play them.

9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Airways Express (operated by Air Wisconsin) is going to get some serious business. They're the only airline that flies direct from Boston to Rochester. :p

a517dogg repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does this affect the rest of the Revs squad then? Are we going to have about 24 players, of which 7 or so know they won't be playing?

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if we have no injuries and no fixture congestion, we can send 4 additional guys for a couple weeks at a time. If someone gets injured, we can easily recall them.

13. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I like this idea as it's potentially another player acquisition avenue for the Revs in additional to a development tool for their existing talent. I believe that there's likely a solid pool of MLS-quality players in the NASL/USL that the collegiate scouting system simply missed (since soccer pro scouting in the US at the collegiate level doesn't have nearly the depth/thoroughness the other major pro sports have) and they'd be the first in line for any strong performers on the Rhinos, I imagine.

14. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My real hope for the Rhinos is that it raises the quality of play. The Rhinos games that I've been to have great athletes but a poor quality of play. Everyone is athletic enough to have constant pressure on the ball but nobody is skilled enough to maintain possession in spite of that pressure. Not much fun to watch. If 4/11 of the team is MLS quality hopefully that can change, and I'll start going to Rhinos games.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a max of four players at a time, so it's not like we can send four more...?

16. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a minimum of four at a time.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah thanks. That makes a bit more sense. Of course, if I'm the Rhinos, I don't want to go overboard either with too many Revs players.

18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think this current arrangement is best for bottom of the roster guys who otherwise wouldn't be seeing any non-reserve league playing time (Purdie, Murray, Roach, Polak, and Brettschneider). Those guys can spend a lot of time in Rochester and play far more consistently than they would playing for the Revs reserve squad. However, I think the current arrangement is an issue for key reserve, fringe players, and spot starters. Players like Barnes, Guy, Imbongo, etc. would benefit from playing in the reserve games which will no longer be an option due to this agreement.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think for the few guys who go to Rochester, it could be a much better experience than 10 reserve league games.

OTOH, I think there are still going to be those guys, stuck in the middle, that we are going to need for the end of our bench, that aren't going to get into games anywhere.

So, I sort of see the Revs sending some of their prime development prospects (maybe a Fagundez, if he's not getting p.t. here, a Caldwell, a Polack, our #3 gk) to Rochester, yet guys like the supplemental picks, would stay here, but w/o the benefit of reserve games.

20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it could work, think of it like this:

(At least) 4 "long-term" loans. These would be players ala Polak last season. Just send them off to Rochester for the season and don't call them back unless absolutely needed. Only question is, do these guys count towards the Revs roster limits, even if they're at Rochester all season? Would be great if the team could sign some of the fringe draftees who would normally not make the roster, and just loan them to Rochester. Then they could re-evaluate them after the USL-Pro season, or even next offseason.

Then you could have guys like Barnes, etc. They could shoot over to Rochester to get a game in, and then come back. That's going to depend on what the USL-Pro schedule looks like, though.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was wondering too. Fredy Montero, for example, was just loaned out for the year, and his roster slot (and DP slot) were freed up for SEA. Would the same apply here, or does the ability "to recall them if needed" negate that?

Then you get into salary cap issues. Will CHV loan out Shalrie to USL, just to free up cap space?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Like I said earlier, I think it will take a few years to work out the kinks of this arrangement. This is a starting point. It will be revised, refined and (hopefully) improved as they go along.

Revolution909 repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're insane if you think Krafty is going to pay for them to fly! Do you think he's made of money or something? :eek: There is a perfectly good Greyhound bus schedule lying around here somewhere!

Seriously, this might work out well for the border-line guys who don't expect to see much first team action, but what about the benefits of a first-team player (Sene?) playing a few reserve games to work himself back into game fitness? Would they send him to Ra-cha-cha for a couple of games? I don't know how physical that league is, but I'd be pretty wary of him getting hurt in a game that is meaningful for all the other players on the pitch.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this, they'll count against our roster. Being the idiot I am, even though I started this thread, I put this post in the other one...

24. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    more physical than MLS

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm a little worried that this means they'll go for the quantity over quality route and fill the roster with minimum salary guys instead of adding another impact player or two. Hopefully that's not the case.