Revs Academy News 2014

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Jan 29, 2014.

1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...what's this say? I can't read it

patfan1 repped this.
  2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgetown has a good coach and a good team. Syracuse is historically rather poor, but they seem to be on the rise. Harvard has a decent program that produces pros because people are more than willing to sacrifice a bit on the soccer side to go to Harvard.

It's not overwhelming, but this probably represents incremental progress.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, it looks like Peguy Ngatcha is heading to Wright State.

4. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgetown has produced first round picks in the last two years, including Neumann at 4 this year. Last year they had the 15th, 22nd, and 37th picks. They're not Akron, but they've had some talent recently.

5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely. They've got Brandon Allen, a NYRB guy who has scored a ton of goals in college. Their incoming class looks pretty strong, too.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprisingly, you see a lot of the Chivas Academy or Galaxy Academy kids going to much bigger programs.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB seems to be sending kids everywhere, too.

9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a517dogg and patfan1 repped this.
  10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    These are supposed to be the elite soccer prospects of the region. I'd hope to see at least some go to the top soccer programs in the country.

As for Harvard, if your goal is to go to there, I don't think Revs' Academy is really the best way to get there. R/A is really to develop pro soccer prospects, not to get kids into elite academic schools (even if that is a valuable and notable by-product).
    No, I didn't say it was awful - I said underwhelming, which is what I thought when last year's list came out. There are some decent programs, as you say, but no top ones. Georgetown has put some guys in MLS and Harvard has had a couple of marginal players. Providence and NU, no one of note in MLS that I can recall.
    But I don't think it's any better than last year, so I don't see how it's progress.

WF, Virginia, UCLA, Stanford, ND, Akron, Indiana, UConn, UNC, Duke, ... Why aren't we seeing any R/A kids (other than Caldwell) going to these schools (i.e., the schools where MLS players are drafted from)?

Chowda repped this.
  11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a little better than years past, which is only my way of saying that it's a sad state of affairs. There aren't a lot of HG prospects on the radar in college for the Revs. That's going to start to hurt as we watch other teams pull more and more talent this way.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadspin had a thing about where college athletes come from for basketball and football. There just aren't a lot of high level athletes in the New England area. Our best bet would be to lay claim at some point to an academy in another area...other than Rochester that is.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It doesn't hurt to have the Sigi Schmid connection.

Now if any of our kids want to play Duke basketball...

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...east-programs-produce-most-mls-picks_aid28354
    looking at this year in the first two rounds there were 11 players taken from Big East, A-a10 or the AAC which most teams were part of the big east a year or so ago. UHart also had a player taken in the first round. While the Revs players are not going to the traditional power schools UCLA, Virginia, Akron or WF those schools produced a total of 1 first round pick in the last 2 years and 7 players over all in the first two rounds of the 2013 and 2014 drafts

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, CollegeSoccerNews.com had McCabe as the #98 ranked (and highest) of the Rev Academy players. You can look at the highest ranked recruits and see which programs they're from.

They do have 4 Rev Academy players ranked in the Top 100 of the 2015 class, and 5 in the Top 150.

17. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCabe is 87th. Sady is 96, and that's all for the top 100.

Would this have been Fagundez' graduating class, or was he last year? Whatever year it was, he would have to be number 1.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, I completely mis-typed the 87 to 98.

Fagundez was #1 or so last year's class.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Or Duke soccer. :whistling:

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's funny how we never hear much about that, but he was Miami's #1 pick in the draft, IIRC. Duke must be a pretty good program, no? So why do we keep bringing in Wake Forest guys?

21. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how many of those universities I've never even heard of. Drury University? Quincy University? Rockhurst University? William Jewell College? And believe me, I get a lot of mail from colleges.

22. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #47 CottageRev, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Darrius Barnes played for Duke. The Revs also drafted 3 Duke players in 2008 - Mike Videira, Spencer Wadsworth and Joe Germanese. Duke actually hasn't produced a starter-level MLS player in quite a long time.

Edit: forgot about Andrew Wenger (2012 #1 overall pick), but he hasn't done much yet.

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It was Nicol that was really infatuated with WF - they had the "pro-style" program label that Akron does now.

As for Duke, Nicol may have gotten one impression from the talented, but raw Jay Heaps who arrived in NE, but as was pointed out, he drafted his share of blue devils.

The Revs drafted a lot of ACC guys, IMO, in large part because it was easy to scout them at BC.

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this bad? He's been with the Revs Academy for more than a year, so the Revs still own his MLS rights. He can continue his development in the USL-PRO, probably better than a U-18 team, and the Revs can sign him when he is ready.

bwidell and LongDuckDong repped this.