Revs 2012 Season Review

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 30, 2012.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Jaqua. Yuck.

IRguy repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luis Silva, taken one pick after Rowe, had 5 goals and 5 assists for TOR this year. But you are right, there aren't any others in the last 5 years.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What salary? They didn't sign them so it didn't cost any salary.

As for missing other players, I looked at the players taken between Borman and Jaqua and the picks where the Revs started passing and I really doubt they would have picked any of them. They drafted the 3 guys they did for very specific needs. They guys they didn't pick didn't really fit those same holes.

Jaqua's had good moments in the league and is particularly good at rattling defenders. We never had a real holding forward this year and I can see the desire to add him as a squad player if they could get him for low money.

Same with Borman. As thin as we were at outside back (having to resort to playing Barnes and Guy there), I think having him on the squad would have been very useful. At least it's his real position and he sure would have been a lot more athletic than Lechner turned out to be.

4. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I still think the Re-Entry Draft isn't something teams should bank on to improve. I looked again at the list of players selected last year, and most of them were cut, retired or opted to play elsewhere. The only ones who actually really contributed anything to their teams in league play (sorry Pat Noonan, CCL group stage legend) were Marc Burch, Simms, and Hunter Freeman. The 2010 Re-Entry Draft essentially just had Cory Gibbs and Ryan Cochrane as major contributors to the team that selected them.

5. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes. Definitely.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's not just about the players taken between Borman and Jacqua. It's about selecting the players that were available. Players like Maicon Santos...

The Re-entry draft is essentially the first mechanism to build your roster for the following season. So, to say that you use it to fill holes, is a bit off the mark. If the Revs did indeed limit themselves to only picking players based on immediate needs, then that is an even bigger indictment on how they went about selecting their roster.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you cna grab a guy who might be able to give you some minutes, keep the starters on their toes, play in the US Open Cup, make the occasional spot-start and be an option off the bench, great. But you should not be looking for first-team starters there.

Kraft Out repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least one did, Maicon Santos, outlined below.

Bingo. Great example. Maicon Santos would have been a better pick than Jaqua in a number of ways and is a good example of Burns's inability for evaluating talent. In terms of production, I'm not saying Santos is a world beater but his 19 goals in 88 MLS games (through 2012 when he had 7 in 23 appearances for DC) puts him at an avg MLS career goal per 4.63 games which is better than Jaqua's MLS career production through 2011 (g/4.60). He's a solid off the bench option, which is how the re-entry draft should be used - rather than selecting players who would never come here Jaqua was from the northwest and wasn't going to head back east AND take a huge pay cut to play for a bottom feeding franchise. The revs most likely low balled Jaqua, so it's no wonder he retired.

Then there's the fact Santos would've been a veteran, physical presence up top which was severely lacking on this year's revs. Maicon is a strong fit physically for MLS at 6'1 and as shown by his longevity in the league can not only handle the rigors of MLS but also provides leadership as he was given the captaincy for TFC in 2011. He would likely have helped the Revs fill the leadership vacuum and at 28 he's the ideal age to get a couple productive years out of. Throw in the fact he would've been $100k cheaper than Jaqua ($211k vs $113k) and I think it's pretty clear who would have been the better choice.

Not to mention, when you factor in the demographics of southern New England, a Brazilian forward would have been a welcome addition to the roster.

So, Maicon Santos is a good example where the revs missed an opportunity to pick a proven MLS forward and instead had to settle for rev legends Bjorn Runstrom (using the same available int'l slot) and the unforgettable Brettschneider, who ironically was cut from DC shortly after Santos was signed. Combine their salaries (70k+33k) and you're in the ballpark of what Santos got from DC in 2012 (113k).

I can almost guarantee based on his productivity for DC (he performed well against the revs, scoring 2 goals), that Santos would have at least gotten the minutes Brettschneider got and contributed more than Runstrom and Brettschneider combined.

The inability of Mikey Mike to find a guy like that is just more evidence why we need a real GM.

RevSoccerMV, patfan1 and Kraft Out repped this.
  9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are they doing the re-entry draft this year? Any idea of when they re-entry draft is? it was in Dec last year and was announced by the league in Oct. I'd imagine it will be around the same time

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes, they're doing the re-entry draft. Date and time has yet to be announced though.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, phase 1 was Monday, Dec 5th, 15 days after MLS Cup (Nov 20th).

If they follow the same plan, with MLS Cup on Dec 1st, that would put it on Monday Dec 17th. Pure speculation though.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Santos wasn't drafted, so picking Borman and Jaqua didn't prevent them from picking him. It wasn't a "cost" of those selections.
    That may all be true, but it's a different argument.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the point that they could have drafted him?

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

15. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor point here, but Santos was passed on by 19 MLS teams two times, In fact, Kheli Dube was consider a better option then Santos at the time. Santos had a career year with DC this year, but based on his performance and production there was no reason to think Santos was a better pick the Jaqua at the time.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No. The point was that there was some kind of "cost" to picking Jaqua and Borman, i.e., that it prevented them from picking other guys. I think they picked exactly the guys they wanted.

17. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think they should have wanted a better class of player

Kraft Out repped this.
  18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes it was a cost....because they didn't select him. Again, you completely miss the concept of opportunity costs.

19. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Which "COST" them the opportunity to pick other players.

If you have $20, and chose to spend $10 of it on, say, a hamburger. Meanwhile, you don't select the $10 hot dog. That doesn't mean that the $10 hamburger didn't cost you anything, just because you chose it, and because you still had money left over to buy the hot dog. Maybe the hot dog would have satisfied you more. Maybe two hot dogs would have been even better. You'll never know, because the COST of spending the initial $10 on the hamburger prevented you from getting two hot dogs and was also a choice against picking one hot dog.

This is like basic friggin high school micro. Why is this so hard?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That is flawed thinking in player evaluation.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What if you know that you don't like/want hot dogs?

22. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Whether you do or not, you probably don't want to know how they are made.

23. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My post was not meant to be an overall player evaluation, but just pointing out that he was not valued very high by other MLS teams at the time. There are of course other things that factor into this beside talent, such as price tag, International slot. etc..