Revolution Tryouts: Anything To Report?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Camden

Camden Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Maine
    Cullen?

Is Cullen really gone, or is he just looking around for a better option? I don't think he has officially left the team yet. What are the odds on him staying with the Revs? How long was his contract with the Revs? What would the Revs get for him if he goes to another team where he would get more playing time?

Camden

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "What would the Revs get for him if he goes to another team where he would get more playing time?"

If memory serves me correctly he's currently out of contract, so if he were picked up by another team in the league we wouldn't get anything.

3. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this can be right. If so MLS would have free agency and surely other players would've switched teams this way before now. I'm pretty sure it would have to be a deal like we did with Chicago to get Jason Moore last year - a mid to low draft pick for the rights to an out of contract player. Although I don't remember giving DCU anything for Kante after they drafted him but failed to sign him to a contract.

4. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what the Revs did would be MLS's equivalent of waivers... they told him to try to catch on with another team. If he can, they let him go for free(to lose the salary). If not, they will release him.

Lee

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't believe this is true. If he finds another MLS team, compensation would have to be worked out. Now, if the Revs were to hold out for anything significant in return, they'd probably be guilty of jerking him around, but I don't think it would involve much more than a late draft pick. If Cullen finds no takers at minimal compensation, he could asked to be waived and try again with no compensation due.

If his contact has expired, the Revs are already free from his salary.

I had thought there was a possibility of him coming back, but I thought I read something from the Revs stating pretty definitively that he would NOT be back.

6. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    he can return

Cullen is free to return to the Rev's and has a minimum contract offer on the table....the problem is that he can't afford to play for such small amount of money. Look for him to possibly get picked up by Dallas or DCU. Dallas could use a defensive mf as a stop gap or he could afford to live in DC and take advantage of other opportunities in the area.
    Don't ask...that's all I'm saying.

7. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: All the news that fits in print

Hmmmm...The thought of Tazz, Sangster and the supporting cast of BuckNakedFC tooling through the Revs at Plymouth Sports Dome is an interesting scenario. Can I ref?????

Scott

8. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know anything about Baker but I do know that as a team, we're too small. Adding another small guy, no matter how good, might not be a good idea at this point. We need more height

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    For that matter, we're also too slow!

For bench players, I'd think the priorities would be attitude, skills, versatility, different dimension (whether speed, size, skill, energy, scoring ability, etc.).

I can't visualize Nicol looking down the bench for a sub and thinking "damn, I need a tall guy to put in"!

For that matter, if size is an issue, then getting Kante in top condition for the season opener can solve that problem.

Up front, we've tried big (Okoh, Fuller) and the results spoke for themselves. In the middle, they don't come any bigger than Joseph. And Dempsey will add size wherever he plays.

10. tonyg

tonyg New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    I attended that open tryout a couple weeks ago. Pardon the late response, but I just came accross the forum.

I do not know who this Irish kid was but if he was there he was not outstanding.

I attended with a "kid" named Everett Watts. He was EASILY the best player there even though not in top shape. He is a devastating dribbler who went to Junior College with Shalrie Joseph. Together they are a deadly combination.

If I remember correctly, Everett was one of the nation's leaders in both goals and assists.

I thought the "tryout" was not real because I do not think the team was really looking for anyone to emerge, or who they wanted to emerge did not stand out.

Everett can start and dominate on this team right now. All he needs is a fair chance.

Want to know more about him? ASK SHALRIE JOSEPH.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assumin he's a forward, in which we are stacked. If he plays midfield, well then we are already stacked. Can anyone who has been to the tryout provide some info?

12. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watts is a 26 year old midfielder/forward out of Brooklyn. Here's a brief bio from Stony Brook's soccer site.

13. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: he can return

The rumor I heard was DCU at the minimum was the only offer Cullen received. He turned it down and retired at age 26. He is finishing his degree at Maryland and "taking advantage of other opportunities in the area" - he's going to be the Terps assistant coach.

14. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everett Watts

He was also born in Grenada. Maybe he's got a green card? At 26 he'd have to be pretty damn good to have a chance at this team if he doesn't have one.

Who was that guy that worked at Filene's and lit up the entire nation of Italy (according to FDA) a few years ago in a Revs tryout? Ze Rodriguez maybe?

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Re: he can return

Man that's really disapointing. He certainly was a solid contributor the the Revs last year. I'm not normally a guy who hems and haws about the MLS salary cap or roster restrictions but that really is unfortunate.

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS gets better year after year, and Cullen is just another example of not being able to adjust to the level. He was a damn good player when he was here and will be missed, at least from me.

17. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Re: he can return

Actually Leo can't be an assistant in college until he finishes his degree, I think he needs 6 credits or so. I assume he will take those credits in the Spring semester and hook on with UMD in the Fall. Good luck to Leo, I know he will be a success.

18. tonyg

tonyg New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Everett is an excellent, productive offensive player. Personally I like to see him play just behind the strikers, but he is an excellent striker.

I know that you have said that the team is already stacked with strikers and midfielders, but have a fair, open competition and may the best one win.

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW, ASK SHALRIE.

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously i don't think he can beat out Noonan, Twellman, Cancela, or Joseph. If he could, he would have already been signed.

20. tonyg

tonyg New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    So you think that all the best players are signed?
    That there are no unsigned players who are not better than some/many who are signed?
    If you seriously believe that, there is a bridge ........

Twellman, Noonan etc are good players and the team went to the final with them, but Everett will bring a different dimension to any team: one where he can take on ANY defender or two, and destroy them. He is a "difference Maker". That is a weapon that any team must have.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Watts certainly seems to possess some measure of skill and ability. He was a standout at George W. Wingate High School in Brooklyn, NY where he first teamed-up with Shalrie Joseph when the Revolution midfielder played there. From there, both Watts and Joseph went on to play together for National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) soccer power Bryant & Stratton Business Institute located near Syracuse, NY.

Joseph was a first-team NJCAA All-America selection for Bryant & Stratton in 1998, and in 1999 reportedly had 20 goals and 19 assists. Watts was also a solid player for Bryant & Stratton, a NJCAA second-team All-American in 1998 (with 72 total points), and having some 25 goals and 18 assists in 1999.

After his Sophomore season Joseph transferred to St. John's University. There he started out as a forward, eventually being shifted back in the field to midfield and eventually defense. . In 2000 he scored 14 goals and notched 2 assists for St. John's, was Hon. Mention All-American by The Soccer Times and 1st Team All BIG EAST. In 2001 he scored 11 goals and notched 2 assists in helping St. John's reach the NCAA Division I Final Four, also being named a 3rd Team All-American and 1st Team All BIG EAST.

After his Sophomore season Watts transferred to Stony Brook University. There he played in 18 games his Junior season, scoring 5 goals and notching 3 assists in 2000 en route to NSCAA All-Northeast Region honors. In his final year, Watts played in 17 games, scoring 1 goal and notching 1 assist. Watts spent most of his career at Stony Brook playing midfield.

I think it was Mark Twain who said "There are lies, damned lies and statistics," but it seems pretty clear that Joseph managed the jump from the JUCO ranks much better than Watts. He may be a "difference maker" in some circles, but with respect to MLS and especially the Revs it seems quite unrealistic to think he'd have a shot at making the team, especially if he doesn't have a green card or citizenship as otherwise he'd be an SI.

But he can always be Jopseh's cousin now, can't he ;-) ?

The Magpie

22. tonyg

tonyg New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Magpie, they did not play together at Wingate. Everett led the school to it's first NYC championship and was player of the year. Shalrie played a couple years AFTER Everett.

Yes, the situation at Stony Brook was not a good one for him. After the first year you may have noticed that the team's record went way downhill. Everett played that whole season with a pulled hamstring. The team was generally in disarray, many players left after the first year, and the coach departed after that season (if I remember correctly).

Shalrie has certainly blossomed and will continue to grow. He is a good kid who wants to succeed and certainly will. He works hard, comes prepared and is very coachable.
    If you have communication with Shalrie, ask him about Everett.

As you may have noticed (nah it was not that obvious), I have follwed his career for a while. The one thing that Everett has NEVER got was a FAIR chance. That is all I would like him to get. If he does, he will make many people shake their heads and wonder how they passed on him before.

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Back in 1999 a gentleman by the name of Joao Batista de Jesus Rodrigues Pinto was brought to the attention of the New England Revolution. At the time, he was working at Filene's Basement as a department manager in women's accessories and handbags. However, what his co-workers and few people in the Boston-area knew, was that some three years prior he'd been playing professionally for Caldas in the Portuguese 2nd Division, before that on the books for Sparta Rotterdam. Back then, he was more commonly known as Ze Rodrigues. He was originally from Cape Verde, but left to play soccer in Europe in 1989.

Well, in 1999 he was brought to the Revolution's attention by then agent Pat McCabe, with Rodrigues joining New England on trial both in Massachusetts, as well as overseas where the Revolution spent weeks training against a number of Italian clubs. McCabe talked the player up to the local press, and supplied a ready list of quotes from former coaches and others who'd seen him play. But when all was said and done, Rodrigues did not make the team. McCabe responded by saying, "I'm very disappointed the Revolution didn't give Ze more of a chance," said Rodrigues's agent, Patrick McCabe. "Based on his minutes and the fact he was not with the projected starters, he was not given a real chance... All he needs is an opportunity, and with his experience and green card status, I'm sure someone will be interested… "

No offense intended, but your marketing of Watts sounds remarkably similar to that of Rodrigues's agent, and he's someone I've dealt with personally on several occasions in the past. Now granted, MLS doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to uncovering diamonds in the rough, and several MLS coaches have openly agreed that there exists such players like Rodrigues, Watts and others who fly below the radar screen that could easily play for MLS.

I don't doubt that Watts is a player of some quality, his accomplishments in high school and at JUCO level speak of this. However, I'm particularly suspicious of anyone who makes use of the phrase "he's not gotten a chance" in the presence of pronounced hyperbole when describing a player. I also remain skeptical when I read your comments on this board under the alias of "Tony G," only to read the following by a "Garth G" here: http://www.spiceisle.com/talkshop/messages/247751.htm

"Over the years, there have been a few Grenadian soccer players who, when I first saw them play, just took my breath away…

<snip>

A current super talented, skilled player is Everett Watts. Everett is a magician with the ball, coupled with that is that “Attitude”. There are some players who may have superior skills but few possess the attitude to dominate a game. I am sure that some of you may have seen a post from “Scorpion” about his game against the MetroStars reserve team. I have seen him do that numerous times. Lately he has been playing for a “select” team that only plays in various tournaments in the NY tri-state area. He dominates. Some opposing teams have pros, ex-pros, current Jamaica under-23, current Jamaican national team players. He dominates.

On January 22, I took him to the New England Revolution Invitation only tryout, and this is what happened: On the drive up to Foxboro, he was a bit apprehensive, he knew he was not in top shape. We got to the stadium and there were about 26 other players there warming up. All look in top shape and wearing the latest athletic gear. He changed and took one of the numerous balls there and started dribbling back and forth across the field (the indoor bubble where both the rev and Patriots train). The Head coach and his assistants were there. I saw the head coach speaking to a couple people so I just went around them “peeping”, trying eavesdrop on their conversation.

The training started and as it progressed, Everett started destroying people. If you have seen him play you will know what I mean. It was obvious to everyone there that he was not in top shape, but it was also obvious to everyone there that he was the best player there.

There were three other players there who were supposed to be the stars, a Jamaican brother and two Brazilians. One of the Brazilians left the field with a twisted ankle, courtesy of a Watts turn. At the end all the players were coming up to Everett to talk to him (except a couple who thought that he was holding the ball too much, but every time he passed the ball to them, they lost it).

Oh, when I was “peeping” on the head coach’s conversation, in response to a question about if he was satisfied with his team he said yes. He said that his team was set; the two earlier draft picks he thought could help the team, the two lower draft picks were guys from the local area. For the community.

Everett has been training hard every day, running and doing weight work. He plays for a team that plays in two different indoor leagues, and is about to begin playing for an outdoor team that is currently in the NY State Champions league. He is working very hard, trying to get in top game shape so that if needed/wanted, he can be a productive member of the team…"

Tony, or maybe, "Garth"… I know any number of people who were in attendance at the tryout that same day, and not one of them spoke of any such player dominating… not one, including Richie Baker who was just signed. These are people who are intelligent, informed, and objective observers of the game - they know talent when they see it.

Maybe Watts was out of shape (which seems an unlikely considering the number of games he's played and the training he's apparently conducting) and maybe he's good enough for MLS. If that's the case, he's easily good enough for the A-League, USL Pro League, or PDL, good leagues where he could have an opportunity to have a chance, to demonstrate his skills at a recognized professional level, etc.

There are other opportunities "out there," chances that Watts should be fully prepared to make the most out of, and perhaps something will work out for him.

The Magpie

24. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It should be noted as well that you usually don't get a pass for being out of shape. Anyone can be out of form because of injury or what have you, but it's not like this try out snuck up on anybody, woudln't you try to make sure that you were fit enough to show your best? IMO if someone approaches a chance like this out of shape then perhaps you can question their work ethic or dedication.

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody can take on junior college defenders and waste them. I have. But I don't go prancing around claiming I'm a "difference Maker" and MLS should be knockin on my door with a major player contract. He's not better then Noonan or Twellman. He's not better then Moore or Cancela. He's not better then Joseph. Since thats the case, he's not good enough for the Revolution, at this time. Like Evan said, not one player at the tryouts dominated play, even Baker, who has pro experience. They signed him. They will be lookin at defenders in Portugal. Your boy will have to impress another team.