Revolution Tryouts: Anything To Report?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Jan 23, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Were scheduled for yesterday, and knowing that in years past the likes of Tony Biscaia or others have made the trek down to the Foxboro bubble, was curious if anybody went this year?

I doubt the Revs will find a diamond in the rough, but you never know what might be gleaned from conversations or observations there.

So, anybody make it down?

The Magpie

2. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Full Disclosure: I didn't make it down there.

I was told, however, there were going to be in the vicinty of twentysomething trialists there last night.

Despite what's been previously reported, Richie Baker, the Irish National, was not on the list of prospects.

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Among the trialists:

Former Boston College forward Neil Krause.

Former Penn State midfielder Brent Jacquette.

Former Syracuse midfielder John Andrade.

Former MetroStars defender Fausto Klinger.

Former Bryant College midfielder/defender Leroy Pottinger.

Tony recorded a 10 minute interview with John Murphy, and a 5 minute interview with Steve Nicol that will hopefully be up on RevsNet by the end of the day.

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Glad to hear somebody made it down and looking forward to the interviews.

The Magpie

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    [​IMG]
    Caption: "Osayande Asuen of the Bronx borough of New York dribbles the ball during the New England Revolution's local tryouts in Foxboro, Mass., Thursday, Jan. 22, 2004. More than 25 players turned out for a chance to make the professional soccer team during a two-hour session in front of Revolution coaches. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)"

[​IMG]
    Caption: "Cristobal Pastene, of Oyster Bay, N.Y., keeps his eye on the ball during 2004 New England Revolution Local Try Outs, in Foxboro, Mass., Thursday, Jan. 22, 2004. Over 25 players turned out for a chance to make the professional soccer team during a two-hour session in front of Revolution coaches. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)"

Cristobal Pastene is apparently an attacking player. He played for Oyster Bay High School (NY) in late 1990's, apparently scoring a fair number of goals for them as a Freshman in 1997, but nothing more I could dig up than this.

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Man. Where did this guy's name come from? Was he ever here? Where did he go? Did he tell someone he was going on 'trial.' And by 'trial' he ment, 'spend time with his girlfriend?'

7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you say "negotiating tactic"???

FWIW, he apparently DID contact the Boston Bulldogs, only to find out they're not in the A-League any more.

8. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
  9. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the news that fits in print

No Brazil this year, eh?

Tightening the budget even more? Rev fans telemarketing tickets for the team? How long before we see this article?

"Rev's to be ecologically friendly thisyear as they tour southern New England indoor facilities for Pre-Season."

The New England Revolution will tour the indoor facilities of New England by playing the indoor champions of each facility. Plymouth, Bridgewater (cancelled due to weather related problems), Mansfield (cancelled due to weather related problems), Forekicks, John Smith & the Rhode Island Indoor Soccer Center are the slated venues.

"We decided to tour only the southern facilities for two reasons: budget and the ecology," said NE boss Steve Nicol. " Times are tough and we have to watch every penny. Do you know how much jet fuel costs? Sheesh, it's a lot and we'd save a lot if we didn't go all the way to Brazil. These local matches should serve us well. I expect our team to be challenged by these games. There are some pretty good u-10 indoor teams out there."

Nicol stated that they would car pool to these venues for ecological and budgetary reasons. Bag lunches will be provided by the organization for all players who make the pre-season travel games.

ln other news, the Rev marketing department has announced new plans for season ticket holders. Fans are encouraged to sign up soon and they will recieve a commemorative waste collection receptacle in authentic NE Rev colors ( white with red drawstrings). These fans will be encouraged to collect trash in and near their seats and deposit the refuse as they exit Gillette Stadium.

"This new promotion ties in with our ecologically friendly theme for the year.The Bobbleheads just weren't a big enough draw and the Rev trash bags just make sense!" said new GM Craig Tornberg

Film at 11....

10. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Tony, I don't get the report, just a blank page....

Amy

11. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    thanks for reporting that Amy, it's now fixed...

12. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Could someone explain to me how using an allocation helps provide cap relief? Does an allocation increase the overall team cap? I know there's a maximum salary for an individual player, but can only allocated players make this maximum? Even so, we're presumably not talking maximum salaries for the above mentioned players (although one could argue Cancela could be worth it).

Thanks...

13. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Last year, since Earnie Stewart came on a free transfer, DCU was able to use their allocation on him to substantially reduce his impact on the cap. While DCU's cap was officially the same, it had the effect of expanding the cap (by taking some of Stewart's salary off the cap). This only works for one year.

I believe that last year was the first time MLS allowed teams to apply allocations to reduce cap obligations on free transfers (rather than using the allocation to pay a transfer fee). I suspect that what SN is referring to here is the league interpreting this further--that if you've got an allocation, you can apply that amount to a player already under contract for that year. If so, the league would love that--it protects a player already under contract (and potentially with guaranteed money) and means MLS won't have to pay a transfer fee on a new player.

14. clearblue

clearblue New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Extra Extra! read all about it!

Richie Baker was at the tryout. The word on the street is that he's due to sign with the Revolution very soon.

Since I'm from Chicago (Palatine, to be precise), I don't want to spend a load of dough calling around to verify what I feel is reel good information. Can anyone int the beantown area verify this through there numerous contacts? danizinho or Magpie perhaps?

Go Revs and Pats !!

15. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    well that sure came out of nowhere...

doesn't Baker play the same position as Kamler and Dempsey though? this would be sort of a strange signing given Kamler has already resigned and we just picked up Dempsey supposedly as an understudy for Kamler.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nominate all things about Richie Baker for the "BIG FOOT STORY OF THE YEAR" Award.

Clearblue has aften been a gifted reporter here but in this case I doubt his information. If Baker had been at the trile we would have heard about it for sure.

Interesting stuff about White trying out in Europe and Cullen not coming back. As pften noted elsewhere we still have one or two senior roster slots open (if leonard is still a DR player which it apperas he is). Given SN's plan to bring in "a little known player" with an Allocation ( we all guess a defender) that still will leave one senior roster slot open. I suspect that our top draft pick is slated for that spot with White fighting to push someone else like Jason Moore or Chris Brown onto the trading block or waiver wire.

HOT STOVE LEAGUE--Phase Two: Preseason

Bring It On !

17. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Not necessarily, Doc.

At the trials I asked who the more prominent players were, and was shown a list of names that I had only a few seconds to look at - and they weren't giving out copies.

I didn't ask about Baker specifically, so it is possible that he was there. Does anyone know what he looks like? Maybe you can pick him out in my pics...

I'll ask on Monday and let you know.

18. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    clearblue, et al: I have no idea on Richie Baker 'The Golazo Maker' and his status. If that's what you've been hearing, I'm sure it's going to happen. When it comes to that sort of info/insight, your past record would indicate that you've been ahead of the curve.

On Thursday, FDA told me Baker was going to be at the tryouts. Later that same day I heard he wasn't. But that was based on his name not being on the the trialist list. I was given the same information on Friday, too.

It could all come together, given some of the other surprises the Revs have pulled in the past year. One quality that's become indigenous to the Kraft empire (New England Patriots in particular) is doing certain things under the radar (player acquisitions, medical stuff, etc). Either way, I wouldn't be surprised. He sounds like he'd be a top-notch acquisition.

related thread (Tony: mugshot available here):
    Richie Baker On Trial At Revolution
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=84650&highlight=Richie+Baker

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Richie Baker:

[​IMG]

Could be Baker fourth from the right:

[​IMG]

The Magpie

20. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Magpie: Do you have any info on Baker's height and weight? That dude looks Richie Williams-ish (Not a knock).

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    No idea as to his height I'm afraid.

22. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Danizinho... I was told twice by people with the Revs that he wasn't going to be at the tryout. Furthermore, I was told that he had tried to contact the Boston Bulldogs, but that the Bulldogs had sent him to the Revolution, instead.

And I was also told that the Revs hadn't heard from either Baker or his agent... so, if Baker was not only at the try out but is about ready to be signed, this is something the Revs wanted to do VERY quietly, for some reason.

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean "BIG FOOT" could be real?????

Ah but then we have seen the dirty likke hand of the evil midget stroking stranger deals before so I wouldn't be surprised at anything out of Revsville or MLS for that matter.

Besides, it's --27C below outside and the heat for the load will help warm the barn.

George

24. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    On a clear day, you can see forever

C.Blue, for someone that says that he's from Chicago, who claims not to be an agent ;), and gets all of his information from a season ticket holder friend in Quincy, you pop up in the most amazing places!

25. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: On a clear day, you can see forever

I have a faulty memory, but I think Clearblue said he wasn't Capobianco's agent. I don't think he ever said he wasn't ANYONES agent.