Revolution not a Major Player in MLS

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Minutemanii, Feb 22, 2013.

1. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    http://www.southbostonparade.org/PDFs/SBP-PPAForm.pdf

There ya go! I've already done more into researching this than anyone else here. Also, the Revs Girls have participated in this parade previously, so should be easy enough to ask them the logistics, no?

2. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Being a Midnight Rider I would be very upset if the Midnight Riders marched in the Boston St Patricks Day parade. The Parade does not allow LGBT groups to march in their parade. Thus I hope the Riders would never allow it to happen. The Midnight Riders don't exclude anyone thus why participate in a Parade that does.

manoa, RevsFanDan and Kraft Out repped this.
  3. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just can't fill out that form. You have to apply

4. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That form is the application to participate in the parade. There's only been about 345 days since the last parade.

5. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still need permission and then pay. But hopefully no matter what MLS, NE Revs and SG never participate in a group that discriminates.

6. D00ls

D00ls Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Agreed on the discrimination front.

Now can we please stop feeding the troll?

patfan1 and Crooked repped this.
  7. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Rev Girls (and maybe some players, don't remember) have participated in this parade before.

8. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the Secretary/Clerk/a bunch of other crap for the Riders.

We would never march in the Southie Parade. As one of the first groups to become an ally with Gay4Soccer it goes against a bunch of things our group stands for.

To address the other claims made by people who are clueless:

We have a tent at the top of the fort for anyone who has any questions about the group. We generally employ our most normal, least threatening looking folks to chat soccer/Revs/find seats for lost families every match. Come talk to us some time.

We are running a bus from the Phoenix Landing in Cambridge to Gillette Stadium for the first game of the season so that people who do not have a means to get to the Stadium 45 minutes away from Boston can get there. We're selling this trip, with a ticket, for $35. The stand alone tickets we're selling are $10. We're putting together an "Open House Tailgate" where we're going to be unofficially feeding and giving beer to everyone who is coming.

We're working on partnerships with the BSSL and MSSL to gain access to thousands of soccer players in the Greater Boston Area. Many of which love soccer but probably have never given MLS a shot. We think if some of these people try out our unique game day experience they may manage to come back even though the stadium is all the way in Foxboro.

We're also developing a partnership with a local craft brewery with the hopes of sharing our passion for high-quality beer and tailgating with this up and coming company.

We raised over $15,000 for charity last year. We raised money in a variety of ways with soccer and non-soccer related organizations. This not only goes along with our mission of using our love for soccer to give back to the community but it also gets our name out there in places it might not regularly reside.

A fair criticism of the Fort right now would be that our TIFO is lacking. We could do way better in that regard. We could also do better in sorting out song leadership in the Fort. We don't do a good job encouraging the whole section to get on the same page. Some of this has to do with the Stadium, some of this has to do with the inability to control the whole section. There also, frankly, are not enough people passionate enough to create TIFO and sing for 90 minutes like a crazy person for a team that has been pretty hopeless the last few seasons. There have been games where the different groups haven't been able to fill Capo Stand...

We're always open to hearing new ideas on how to improve soccer culture in New England and would be happy to have this discussion with anyone who is willing to be reasonable. I don't think blaming the people who show up week in and week out no matter what is productive when there are so many other issues facing this team. My advice would be to get involved with the Supporters Groups in some capacity if you think there is something that could be improved, especially if you care about professional soccer in this area.

manoa, RevsFanDan, ToMhIlL and 9 others repped this.
  9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My point is not about what the SG's should or shouldn't do. It's about what is the problem with the anonymity of the franchise, and what can actually fix it. SG's are only a supplemental aspect to atmosphere and franchise visibility.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Cool, how about you sign up for a float. I'll ride with you. Don't just complain. Do something.

Crooked and LongDuckDong repped this.
  11. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    BOOM suck on that JDEsq. How about you drop some more uninformed knowledge on us, you half witted troll pos?

ToMhIlL, Crooked, D00ls and 1 other person repped this.
  12. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    The strains of End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) faintly in the background...

...or is it We Didn't Start The Fire....?

13. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    The strains of End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) faintly in the background...

...or is it We Didn't Start The Fire....?

14. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, what's the best way for a Rider like myself to "get involved" if I can't attend the General Meeting? I have ideas, and I'd like to help, but I'm not sure where/how to start.

15. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Midnight Riders message board is a start

16. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Riders board is a good place to start. Otherwise the lot and viewing parties are a great place for discussion.

Email and tweeting are also great ways to get in touch if you have specific ideas you'd like help with.

17. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Going to plead guilty here... I had decided not to take the stand last season due to the fact that i had no interest in standing front of a certain supporter group...

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wait, you don't like being scolded?

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait till the entirety of RedRevs post is ignored, and one little part nitpicked. That'll be fun.

bwidell, Kraft Out and Crooked repped this.
  20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Revs Girls have participated in this parade before....

RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As I mentioned previously, providing a bus to a game is good and a Open House tailgate is good, but how would people who aren't in the loop going to learn about it? Will there be signage at the box office or people distributing promotional postcards directing people to the tailgate?

I've been to many games and never noticed an information booth at the top of the Fort. Could be time for a better location, but it also goes to my point that it's a step deficient in reaching out to people. It lends itself to being ignored and frankly, look at the stadium design too.

The people sitting on the bench side of the sidelines will go to their seats to the left of the lighthouse and never come into contact with this booth. The people sitting on the opposite sideline will climb the stairs and then continue through the concourse to their section. The present location seems like the location with the least foot traffic possible.

22. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I signed up as the "We <3 Bob Kraft" float. See you there.

23. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had season tickets in the Morgue..I thought it was a Morgue while I sat there. It felt like a Morgue. I was not a Fort person or part of a SG...It's not the Morgue because the Fort exists. It's a Morgue because people there just wanted to sit quietly and clap/cheer when a goal was scored!
    Period!

Kraft Out repped this.
  24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to sometimes sit in Alan's group of seats in the first couple of rows behind the visitng team's bench. Phenomenal place to watch the game up close! Also good for dispensing choice words to certain guys wearing the wrong color jerseys.

One time I politely informed Ray Hudson that he was a "Geordie Baaastard, nuthin moor'n a Scotsmaan huue's benn kacked enn thu hedd tuue manny tames!" Several of his players laughed, and Hudson himself gave an over-exagerated look of feigned hurt, while smiling the whole time. But someone sitting nearby told me I should "keep it down" because he was trying to watch the game. You'd think I was in a church and started heckling the pastor during his sermon...

Kraft Out and RevsFanDan repped this.
  25. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again you don't understand. The booth goes where the Revs Front Office says it goes. You just can't set up a booth anywhere you want.

And yes the booth is there every game. You can't miss it if you have been to the Fort.