Revolution not a Major Player in MLS

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Minutemanii, Feb 22, 2013.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was a one-year issue, I'd agree with you. This has been going on for three years now in regards to national TV interest.

RevsFanDan and Crooked repped this.
  2. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the definition of "National TV"?

Only ESPN?
    2011 schedule: July 4th, http://fangsbites.com/2011/03/espn-announces-2011-mls-schedule/

Why doesn't NBCSN count which we were on multiple times in 2012:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/05/mls-2012-national-tv-schedule-nbc-espn-galavision

And two times this year.

We were on Galavision last year vs New York.

But yea we are obviously NOT New York with Thierry Henry, LA with Keane, Donovan, and Beckham's history. Nor Seattle with the atmosphere I know everyone here secretly envies. Until every other MLS team except the Revs are included in these types of national TV games, then we have every right to complain and question our relevance in the league.

But for now, we are in the same boat as everyone else that is not NY, LA, or SEA. Remember that NY, LA, and SEA need an opponent to actually have a match. So when you see something like Chicago Fire vs New York Red Bulls, don't go thinking they chose that match to hype Chicago, no one actually wants that!

3. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right "Rev it up" I already hate my team in plenty of ways, whether or not someone in Tulsa OK can watch how poor our team and stadium are doesn't matter to me.

Thanks,
    -Beau

RevsFanDan and patfan1 repped this.
  4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As was already stated, the Canadian teams have their own TV contract with TSN. So we're in the same boat as Chivas USA, Columbus, Colorado, and RSL. The bigger issue is that this has been a constant for us. Look at the facts:

2013: 2 total (1 away on NBCSN, 1 home on NBCSN)
    2012: 4 total (3 away on NBCSN, 1 home on Galavision)
    2011: 5 total (2 away on FSC, 1 away on ESPN2, 1 away on Galavision, 1 home on Galavision)
    2010: 3 total (1 away on ESPN2, 1 away on FSC, 1 home on Galavision)
    2009: 8 total (2 away on ESPN2, 2 away on FSC, 1 away on Telefutura, 2 home on FSC, 1 home on Telefutura)
    2008: We were coming off an MLS Cup appearance and 4 of our 6 games on ESPN2 were played away.

So for the past five years:
    - 22 nationally televised games
    - 15 of 22 games played away
    - Only 3 of 7 home games were on an English language network
    - This year's home game on NBCSN will be the first English language broadcast at home since we played two home games on FSC in 2009.
    - Not a single home game on the ESPN networks

Kraft Out and MM66 repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're giving me information that's meaningless, since we're talking home games not just overall.

RevsFanDan and Kraft Out repped this.
  6. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Secretly? I'd say any Revs fan who doesn't openly envy the atmosphere in Seattle needs to get his/her head examined.

7. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I love when some people are criticized for mentioning Seattle, as if they shouldn't be the standard model to which all MLS franchises are measured in these metrics. It's absurd to say that Seattle is the exception. They should be the rule.

8. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't secretly envy it. I 100% am jealous and know we will never get that here. Their ENTIRE fan base gets it. About 5% of our fan base gets it here in New England. Seattle has fans who go to the game to participate and care about the team winning. A lot of our fan base it is a night out to dinner and then the game with the Kids. That stems for this area's fan bases.

1. Pats- From what I have read from STH and knowing STH's fans give other fans a hard time about standing and cheering when needed. Rich folks disappear when cold. And I have observed this in the games I have gone to. Again Pats fans can learn from Seattle.

2. Red Sox- We will see this year if the 2004 fan base finally starts to not go to games. 2004 before the World Series were great crowds came to see game and was a lively crowd. After became like Pats there to be seen.

3. Celtics-Seems to me Celtics crowd is a crowd that gets up for Big Games(Lakers,Heat,Spurs,Knicks) and the playoffs.

I am not going to comment of the Bruins crowd because it is my favorite sport and team and will be 100% biased. Someone else can comment on them.

The one thing I will say in the 4 Bruins games I have gone to this year I am worried it is turning into a night out crowd. And drunked college kids who want to be seen.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'll still get to see all my Celtics games live, right?

KHANINHO repped this.
  10. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T-shirt idea: Mike Burns image wearing a Rastacap and the caption ... Don't be no cloud on a sunny day, mon.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  11. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, exactly. Or as the thread title has it, we're not a major player.

12. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Criticism (in some posts here) aside, I did not start this thread to bash the team or keep bellyaching. I was just sharing an observation I thought worthy of discussion. I, like many here who care deeply, very much want this team to succeed. But, if we keep the wool over our eyes that Krafty has tried to place there, then shame on us.

RevsFanDan and Kraft Out repped this.
  13. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wool over our eyes, whether intentional or not, has a lot to do with the Revs' standing in the marketplace. This team has been promoted as a Globetrotters-type spectacle its entire existence, with little context as to why the game is being played. The gameday experience doesn't really convey that the Revs are part of a league, one that airs on ESPN and NBC, and they compete for trophies that even actually have stakes in the soccer world at large. I think if the average Boston sports fan was more aware of MLS contextually and the Revs' place in it, and they had cultivated that type of following at the beginning, fan outcry over KSG's inadequacies would be much louder.

Until I actively started following the team in mid-2009, I had always assumed the Revs were the class of the league like the Pats were, due to hearing about their multiple Cup appearances and the SuperLiga win (the Boston Metro actually covered the SuperLigas pretty decently so i thought it was a big deal). It's only when I saw MLS at large that I realized the Revs were a relative minnow in terms of relevancy.

KHANINHO, TheLincolnKing and Minutemanii repped this.
  14. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    and this is the whole point. As I've said many times, and others have as well, I didn't start out in 1995/6 hating Kraft, The Revs, Burns etc...It took about 15-16 years of seeing a decaying product run by an incompetent management overseen by a disinterested owner. I don't wake up every day wanting to hate this team. I actually wake up wanting to friggin love it, but they've done (and not done) so much over the years that has gotten me to this place where I'm more annoyed by what they do (or don't do) than the things that I think they do well. In the cost-benefit analysis of my Revs fandom...I've been bleeding emotional equity and not getting much positive in return. I've reach the point where the marginal gains are not enough.

KHANINHO and RevsFanDan repped this.
  15. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is far too rational of an analysis. You'd make my Econ professor proud though...

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why am I not surprised to see that Evner Hoxha thinks the atmosphere at Revs games is crap because of, not in spite of, the very people who are doing everything in their power to liven up the place? Talk about swimming agaisnt the tide.

17. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least the Midnight Riders logo will be Nationally advertised this week.

18. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could have been brought up in a more tactful manner, but I'd say it's a valid point.

And yes, I know what the SGs are up against.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's definitely a valid point; unfortunately he's a troll who doesn't really try to contribute anything constructive to a conversation.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Because it isn't the job of the SG's to sell the Revs product.

Please respond, I honestly can't wait. I'm sure it will be precious.

21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I honestly don't see what is valid about it. The SG's don't work for the team. Fans don't work for the team. SG's and Fans are the consumers.

22. Khkevin

Khkevin Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they want to show an empty stadium? lol

Plus, the Revolution doesn't have much of a presence in our own market.

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the fans don't work for the team.

But SGs obviously have a desire to create some atmosphere for the team. I'm just saying that as a whole, The Fort appears to be somewhat splintered. I think there are a lot of groups that kind of have their own agendas, and I don't think everyone is on the same page.

All I'm saying.

24. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't sit in the fort but I think a big issue is just a general lack of people (interested in the team, in the stadium, in the supporters groups, in the fort, etc).

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    How are SG's in the Fort supposed to generate adequate atmosphere when the stadium is 4/5 empty?

Crooked repped this.