Revenue of LA Galaxy

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by psveindhoven, Aug 16, 2011.

1. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    I have a list, thanks to Castillianthfc, with the 422 richest sports clubs in the world:

http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com

LA Galaxy is in the list with a revenue of €25 million. I thought it would be
    much higher, I mean Galaxy has a lot of big names and a big reputation in
    the world.

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TV revenue for soccer clubs in the US is a pittance compared to many other countries. That's the biggest factor.

And remember, the books are not open for review. Interesting estimate, but that's all it is - an estimate.

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I’m surprised it’s (estimated) that high. I seem to recall there were rumors after moving to HDC we turned a $300,000 profit so the estimate is either way off, or Tim Lieweke has done a brilliant job.

4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Three things to consider:

1. Revenue and profit are two different things. Our revenues may have increased Dashiel, without our profits jumping dramatically because of increased costs.

2. The huge money we reportedly paid to get Beckham is a lot of smoke and mirrors involving endorsement deals etc. Not clear any of that is booked as revenue before it gets in David's hands.

3. MLS is set up so we can pay big money to several big name players, while the rest of them are getting peanuts. It makes us look like big spenders to the outside world, but we're really not compared to European football clubs.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does the new tv deal with NBC mean possibly more money for teams individually?

6. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    USA to UK accounting terminology can also be misleading. Words like revenue, income, turnover have particular issues.

Income: in the UK means the proceeds from sales
    In the USA means net profit

Revenue: in the UK means sales “turnover”
    In the USA means profits

7. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, how many beers do you think the Galaxy sell a game? 5000? Beer revenue alone has to be like 800,000 a year (gross, not net).

8. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And doesn't Beckham get a portion of the revenue from jerseys with his name on it? He probably gets a cut of the beer money too.

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

:confused: Revenue in the USA means sales or turnover (i.e. money in). Profits still implies some inclusion of cost.

10. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    agreed... income is usually the most confused term

11. LA GALAXIAN

LA GALAXIAN Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the sales/profits from jerseys sale alone must be close to that figure....the profit posted back in 2007 equaled 25 mil. euros so the chances are that they just based the calculation according to Forbes from 2007.....

12. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have come to the conclusion that in the Decade or so I have been wasting countless of what otherwise could be be productive hours reading posts, This is the first time I have seen a thread go from a soccer question to a discussion of the difference of regional accounting terms.
    Well done.

13. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check this out...

Only a few spots below a storied club like River, who is now in the second division. Man, that's huge.

What I am annoyed with is that Seattle is ranked ahead of us. That's just me, though.

14. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At what place Seattle is ranked?

15. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the Keane signing will change the makeup of this ranking somewhat.

16. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    IDK, Mumbai Indians are going to have to make a big signing to play alongside Sachin Tendulkar if they want to have a chance of playing in two IPL finals in three years, so it might be harder to climb the ranks than we think.

http://mumbaiindians.com/