Return of the Champions League Catch all thread (2012/13)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DynamoEAR, Nov 6, 2011.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    For all their effort at getting a good seed I would say Seattle got a worse matcup than LA, never the less - Seattle fans are gonna enjoy those games against Monterrey because they will be a battle.

The Dynamo will have to score a few goals in the first home game or else they will get trounced.

LA will of course think that they will deserve to win just by showing up.

2. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No question about it. If we want to advance in order to possibly have a chance we have to take a two goal lead into Torreon and even that doesn't guaranteed much. I like Santos just because of Herc, but Dynamo all the way. If they play with their first team in our home game then the chances of taking a two goal lead is almost impossible. Our only chance is for them to come with a semi diluted team with the hope of getting a tie or tight victory. If they do that we have to take advantage of it because they love playing at home and they know they can put muliple goals at home against anyone. We need another Boniek type of player in the team! I say we go after Quintero this off season so that we can use him against them in March. What do you think?

jvilla07 repped this.
  3. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    that would be a coo road trip if it wasn't for the situation over there. Maybe one day it will clean up. Maybe
    Wow-tough, tough bracket, even is we get by Santos. Oh well.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA is going to have a tough time. I can easily see them getting bounced in similar fashion as RSL. Seattle...that'll probably be the most interesting series. I guess it depends on which Tigres shows up. It could go either way. Monterrey is going to blast that team I can't pronounce right. Us....ugh. maybe Herc and Co. will get overconfident.

5. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking ahead, Santos could be a complete different team. They will probably lose players in the offseason and even possibly Herculez. He is way too good for 20 minutes. So the question is do they get better or worse. I know we cannot beat the current team, so there is still hope. If a good offer comes for either of these guys, Herculez,Quintero, Peralta or Luduena they will be out, if the replacement are a big bust, this is where I put my money on. So there is still a chance!

6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look -- I agree on who the favorite is. But I can't agree with "cannot beat." Underdogs can prevail. Pachuca in 07 was better than Santos Laguna of 12. And we clearly could have won that cup tie. And we beat Pachuca 2-0 against their first team.

We can prevail over Santos Laguna.

DNez2001 and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  7. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    A red card or two on Santos and the Dynamo have a very good chance.

8. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I agree with this, if we weren't playing in March! I really hate the scheduling of this whole tournament.

9. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course Dynamo 2007 were better than Dynamo 2012 as well.

*rey* repped this.
  10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ^^^ dang, he beat me to it.

i'm not saying beating Santos is impossible, i'm just saying i would feel more comfortable if we made some upgrades during the winter. a nice mobile striker to pair up with Bruin would be a nice or a CAM. i'll take either.

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There has been some nice upsets or close games recently by underdogs. It's not over yet, but the salary mismatch is evident between the sides.

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2007 Dynamo MLS record: 15-8-7
    2012 Dynamo MLS record (assuming W for game #34): 15-8-11

Is MLS better in 2012 than it was in 2007?

13. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, Santos will win 9 out of 10 games. There is a big big difference in talent there. Only Boniek could crack their starting 11. I know we are Dynamo fans, but it would take something very special for Dynamo to advance. It can happen, hopefully a full house in March.

14. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict a Corey Ashe trick in march...

We lose Corey Ashe to La Liga team in May. :/

15. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure what this post is saying.

16. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just some facts and a question. What do you get out of it.

17. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not worried about Santos at all, we can match up with them pretty good actually so it should be a great game. They just lost 3-2 to MTY today who are a team we are familiar with and have held up pretty well with. The ONLY thing I am worried about is the huge following Torreon has here in Houston, I wish there was some kind of way to separate all the fans and that the Dynamo "half" was larger than theirs.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Santos played K.C. here in Houston there was only like 500 Santos supporters sprinkled throughout Reliant. I was very surprised to see such base support. My buddy n I struck up a conversation with the Santos dudes sitting the row in front of us and they were obviously rattled that they were outnumbered n losing to Eric Quill n his Wizards.
    We saw what Olimpia or FAS brings out n I figure Santos support perhaps has grown in town since that friendly at Reliant in '02 but it won't be like Regio type numbers.

19. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get bandwagoners in Mexico, as well, bro, and Santos has suffered from that. They have plenty new fans now that they're a good team. They'll bring out TONS of fans. Not to mention the typical Mexican fan that supports ALL Mexican teams when they're against a Gringo team.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but bro we changed our Houston name to specifically secure those fans to root for Houston over Santos who they already consider a rival team in Liga MX! AEG did that gesture FOR THEM! Certainly they have not forgot this.
    Or is it you mean many footy fans from Mexico tend to back a Mexican team even when that team is playing against their local team Houston no matter what a Californian company does to appease Mexicanos. Nawww.

21. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1836 to Dynamo won probably a few fans, the same fans that would've supported 1836 after that 06 Cup run. We changed our name for nothing. We're the 36ers and we keep on marching on!

22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Not being familiar with the current quality of Tigres, I think the Dynamo have the best chance to knock off a top Mexican team because of the contrasting styles. Seattle and LA cannot out pass nor out dribble the Mexican teams, but that is what they will try to do, that is their style. We cannot do that either, but we will not try. We will play big, physical, fast, get the ball wide and pound in crosses. Santos will get most of the possession and get their goals, the question is how well can they defend the cross. If they do their homework and defend like Atlante did a few years ago in the second game (overloading the flank defense and preventing the crosses in the first place) we are toast. If not, we have a chance in a shootout. We may be able to pull out a 4-3 or 5-4 aggregate if everything goes right. We will not win a 1-0 or 2-1 type of contest.

Imho that Pachuca team a few years ago was a better overall team than this Santos, but this Santos has goal scores galore and can play not only possession, but also the quick counter.

ForeverOrange91 and *rey* repped this.
  23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that's the biggest threat Santos has against Houston is their blazing speed on the counter. The Dynamo cannot compare.

*rey* repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santos, in front of goal, finish. That is what makes them who they are. They are snipers in front of goal. However, they are not Pachuca '07, really no Liga MX will ever be if what we see these days in the MFL and their outings in South American competition. Perhaps that 2000 Club America side that lost to Boca in the Copa Lib finals. But really, recall that Pachuca team were Copa Sud winners when we beat them. Santos has come light years since the early 0t's. Ludezma is their conductor, this is where a player like Rico could be a deal breaker in a Cup tie. On paper we have no business beating Santos but like Pachuca our strengths are Santos's weaknesses. Such is association football in Cup ties.
    Our major problem is being cutthroat. Like Dynamo teamed of years past, if Dom gets it right and our guys are up for the battle over 180 minutes, we can advance.

25. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This! It also helps that they've won two championships in 6 finals contested (including Concacaf Final last year) since 2002 and have also opened up a brand new (beautiful) stadium and their marketing and recruiting has been great, yeah I think they fill that stadium bro! Please Dynamo STH do not let this happen!