Return of the Champions League Catch all thread (2012/13)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by DynamoEAR, Nov 6, 2011.

1. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going to central america for thanksgiving break sure does get me in the mood for this:D

Also, no Goat invasion at the new stadium next year due to them getting dumped by Queretaro.:cool:

don't want Morelia, got dammit you blue cementos.:mad:

I can still see Pachuca though.

Now i want for CCL,

1.Pachuca
    2. UANL-battle of who's rey naranja
    3. Queretaro-they haven't been to CCL i don't think.

2. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Queretaro hadn't even been to the playoffs before this season much less won a championship or gotten close to any type of international competition.

3. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    They can still qualify for the 12-13 CCL.

4. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Down to 4 teams for 2 CCL spots in the Liguilla, the Tigres-Gallos Blancos winner and the Santos-Monarcas winner next week will decide who qualifies.

5. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and so our shot to see Pachuca in CCL is potentially pushed back to May 2012 as the Tuzos were eliminated tonight. That said, Santos or Morelia will be back from this year's addition, and, UANL could be back or the roosters will make their debut's.

I think i'll have to go for UANL since the altitude in Queretaro will hurt us, Santos will eat us alive if we draw them.

6. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, these playoffs only account for 2 of the 4 Mexican teams.

7. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chorrillo of Panama quallified for their first ever champions league, by beating Plaza 4-1. They will either be Panama #1 or #2.

8. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So as of today:

Mexico: 4 (Apetura and Clausura winners to the group stage, Runners-up to the prelminary stage)
    Usa: 4 (Los Angeles and Seattle to the group stage, Houston and Real Salt Lake to the preliminary stage)
    Canada: 1 (Canadian challenge winner to the preliminary stage)
    Costa Rica: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners qualify, playoff to see who goes to group stage)
    Honduras: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners qualify, playoff to see who goes to group stage)
    Panama: 2 (Chorrillo and Clausura winners qualify, playoff to see who goes to group stage)
    Guatamala: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners qualify, playoff to see who goes to group stage)
    El Salvador: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners both go to preliminary stage)
    Nicaragua: 1 (Apertura and Clausura winners have a playoff to see who qualifies for the preliminary round)
    Belize: 1 (Apertura and Clausura winners have a playoff to see who qualifies for the preliminary round)
    Carribean: 3 (top three finishers in the Carribean tournament go to the preliminary round)

9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The playoffs between half-season champions in Central America were discontinued after the first CCL. Since 2009, the full-year record is used to decide which team gets the group stage spot (or the one spot available, in the case of Nicaragua and Belize), although how it is used is up to each association. For instance, Costa Rica counts playoff results, while El Salvador and Panama just use the regular season (Apertura + Clausura).

10. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Your blogs have very informative.

11. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Santos has now qualified for CCL once again by beating Morelia on a tie(breaker goes to higher seed).

They are a favorite to win CCL imo, we better hope we don't draw them into our group if we progress from the prelim round.

12. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at the time of this post,

tigres is now up after a stupid,stupid own goal by the Roosters.

Medio tiempo.

13. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tigres qualified today with a 1-0. They face Santos for the title.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo v Tigres in meaningful CCL action is possible eh? That could be a pretty significant event. Really ramp up the competition.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    time out-someone explain to me how Seattle qualified-did they have the next best SS record (since LAG won the Cup)?

16. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    US Open Cup winners

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Seattle double qualified. They won the U.S. Open Cup but since LA won both the Supporters' Shield and the Cup, Seattle moves up into the Supporters' Shield spot. That means that they are automatically in the Group Stage next year. RSL then moves into the other Qualifier spot by virtue of having the third best regular season point total but has to enter in the Preliminary Round like Houston.

18. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I meant RSL-and that is what I figured but I wanted to make sure. So since LAG were double qualifiers and technically so was Seattle it bumps all the way down to RSL.

19. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So as of today:

Mexico: 4 (Tigres and Clausura winners to the group stage, Santos and Clausura Runner-up to the prelminary stage)
    Usa: 4 (Los Angeles and Seattle to the group stage, Houston and Real Salt Lake to the preliminary stage)
    Costa Rica: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    Honduras: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    Panama: 2 (Chorrillo and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    Guatamala: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    El Salvador: 2 (Apertura and Clausura winners both go to preliminary stage)
    Nicaragua: 1 (Apertura or Clausura winner with best overall season qualifies for the preliminary round)
    Belize: 1 (Apertura or Clausura winner with best overall season qualifies for the preliminary round)
    Carribean: 3 (top three finishers in the Carribean tournament go to the preliminary round)

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    These appear to be the dates for the 2012 Preliminary and Group stage:

Houston will have a home game in Leg 1 or 2 of the Preliminary Round and then, if we advance, 3 home games in the Group Stage.

July 24-26 Preliminary Round Leg 1

July 31- Aug. 2 Preliminary Round Leg 2

Aug. 21-23 Group Stage Matchday #1

Aug. 28-30 Group Stage Matchday #2

Sept. 18-20 Group Stage Matchday #3

Sept. 25-27 Group Stage Matchday #4

Oct. 2-4 Group Stage Matchday #5

Oct. 23-25 Group Stage Matchday #6

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Updated as of January, 2012:

Mexico: 4 (Tigres and Clausura winners to the group stage, Santos and Clausura Runner-up to the prelminary stage)
    USA: 4 (Los Angeles and Seattle to the group stage, Houston and Real Salt Lake to the preliminary stage)
    Costa Rica: 2 (Alajuelense and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    Honduras: 2 (Olimpia and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    Panama: 2 (Chorrillo and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    Guatamala: 2 (Municipal and Clausura winners qualify, better full season goes to group stage)
    El Salvador: 2 (Isidro Metapán and Clausura winners both go to preliminary stage)
    Nicaragua: 1 (Apertura or Clausura winner with best overall season qualifies for the preliminary round)
    Belize: 1 (Apertura or Clausura winner with best overall season qualifies for the preliminary round)
    Carribean: 3 (top three finishers in the Caribbean tournament go to the preliminary round)

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Champions' League format has been changed:

http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2575174,00.html

There will still be 24 teams in the tournament but no more Preliminary Round. There will be 8 groups of 3 teams each. Only the winner from each group will advance to the Knockout Stage.

Pots for the Draw. Every group will have a Mexican or a USA team but no group will have two teams from the same country. That means that our Group will not have a Mexican team.

Pot A
    USA 1
    USA 2
    MEX 1
    MEX 2
    CRC 1
    GUA 1
    HON 1
    PAN 1

POT B
    USA 3
    USA 4
    MEX 3
    MEX 4
    CAN 1
    SLV 1
    CRC 2
    HON 2

POT C
    CFU 1
    CFU 2
    CFU 3
    BLZ 1
    NIC 1
    SLV 2
    GUA 2
    PAN 2

DATES
    July 31, Aug 1, 2
    Aug 21, 22, 23
    Aug 28, 29, 30
    Sept 18, 19, 20
    Sept 25, 26, 27
    Oct 23, 24, 25

Teams would have games on 4 of those 6 matchdays.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So our group would be:

1. CRC 1, GUA 1, HON 1, or PAN 1
    2. USA 3 (Dynamo)
    3. CFU 1, CFU 2, CFU 3, BLZ 1, NIC 1, SLV 2, GUA 2, or PAN 2

24. t4nn3r

t4nn3r New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Edwardsville, IL
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this format change, btw is this the first good idea to come out of CONCACAF headquarters ever? ;)

I believe we should win our group but i wouldn't be surprised if we don't

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Depends who we get drawn against from that first Pot. And how the game order works out. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these are groups are split points Home and Away between the top 2 and it comes to G.D. against team #3.

This looks a lot more dangerous to me than the old system.